FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel best spots in hawaii?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
best spots in hawaii?
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-07 11:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-07 21:00, bigbrotiki wrote:

I see you were doing some antique hunting, just 2 weeks ago in that very spot I actually found the SvenTiki mug - Good find on the Kona Gold Rum Co. that's my friends business and they make all the cakes from scratch - a true Mom & Pop operation that has started to take off, they now do the Costco circuit through the islands, every other week a different Costco store somewhere in Hawaii.
CHeck them out and order some Made in Hawaii goodness of your own.

http://www.konagoldrum.com/

[ This Message was edited by: Alii Tiki 2012-08-14 19:36 ]

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-08 11:59 am   Permalink

Glad to hear that a Sven-Tiki mug sailed all the way to Hawaii. That reminds me of the fact that the very first piece of Witco I ever bought I purchased in a thrift store in Hilo.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 11:54 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2012-08-07 21:00, bigbrotiki wrote:
... I am fascinated by that place, and the believers' valor in the face of inevitable loss.
[quote]

Sounds familiar - a bit like the members of the tribe here in the battle versus the bastardization of Tiki.
Mahalo to you Sven for your efforts and achievements in documenting this much loved subject, you've assured that the knowledge will be passed on, long after the temples have been torn down.

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-13 8:31 pm   Permalink

what is sven tiki?

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-13 20:31, nomeus wrote:
what is sven tiki?

exactly ....

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 11:27 am   Permalink

lol no really, i dont know what it is

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-08-14 11:38 am   Permalink

To learn what a Sven Tiki Mug is Click Here.

Additionally, Sven Tiki = Sven Kirsten = BigBroTiki

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 11:58 am   Permalink

i had a feeling id get a reply like that lol...i thought about googling but prefer the dialog, thanks!

Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 7:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-08-14 11:58, nomeus wrote:
i had a feeling id get a reply like that lol...i thought about googling but prefer the dialog, thanks!

That sets it up for the following question then.
What is Tiki Sven?
Let the dialogue begin - again.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 7:31 pm   Permalink

what it tiki sven?

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-14 7:36 pm   Permalink

these are the only mugs i own right now

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 09:30 am   Permalink

Part of the fun of Tiki culture lies in being an urban archeologist, researching and uncovering clues to the mystery of Tiki - and not having it served to you on a silver platter. Granted, this might seem a little daunting when confronted with the avalanche of information (good and bad) out there on the interweb now. If one is seriously interested, and not just looking for idle banter, I do recommend my two books (though they are not as cheap anymore as they were when published)

Here is one more tidbit of Tiki info: I adopted the name "Sven-Tiki" as a play on Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki (because we are both Northern European explorers fascinated by exotic cultures) and used it since my opening article in the first issue of Tiki News in 1995:

When my Book of Tiki was published, it seemed like a good idea to hook up with the newly formed Tiki Farm to design a mug for it:

The mug came with a cocktail recipe:

So there you have it: Sven Tiki is a moniker, a mug, and a cocktail - though the term has fallen out of use in recent years.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 12:09 pm   Permalink

well thats pretty cool. there is way more to this tiki stuff than i could have imagined. im digging it!

urban archeology? euro explorer? perhaps you would be interested in what i do...
http://www.nomeusphotography.com

*for those that prefer video, http://www.youtube.com/user/flurbexx is my channel

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2012-08-15 12:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2012-08-15 12:15 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 2:31 pm   Permalink

You got it. GREAT photography! I have seen your site before. As a Tiki archeologist, I have photographed the defunct Chin Tiki in Detroit...

...and the Tikis amusement park here in LA:

But full Tiki ruins are rare, the concept of urban archeology applies mostly to finding remnants of the style in altered and renovated structures like apartment buildings:

But I sure dig abandoned buildings. When not doing Tiki work for fun, I make my living in Germany and Europe shooting TV movies, and sometimes I get to shoot in locations like abandoned hospitals and factories, like this place:
http://uexplorer.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/beelitz/

...or this:
http://www.artlurker.com/2010/08/artists-activate-abandoned-amusement-spreepark-berlin/

...and I photograph the hell out of them

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-15 2:34 pm   Permalink

fellow explorer and lucky enough to be in germany. great locations in europe. *virtual handshake*

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation