FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 08:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-05 07:36, tikiskip wrote:
Looking good Jim.
Me I would want a bird nest in my tiki.
Pull that tiki out a bit from the wall and add a nest or bird house in back.
How cool to have a bird flying in and out of your spot.
Disney's are fake yours would be real.
We have woodpeckers all over never had this though.
Put tiki on edge of your spot though as the birds will try to run you out
when they do nest there.
Especially wrens.

Also on your tiki in your hut have you thought about up or down lighting those?
Would use lights that you can dim but this would be a cheap way to add a nice
glow to your space.
Up light is better as then you won't see light as much and you
get the spill lighting on ceiling.

Thank you for adding my lights as well.

Yeah a bird nest in there would be really cool. We had several birds nesting around the Lounge this summer. Here is a pic of baby robins in the fence along the pool. (I don't think they go for bird boxes...but I'm sure I have other birds that would.)

That is a great idea though to turn the tiki masks into a bird nest facade.

Regarding the tiki in the hut, are you referring to the one on the front?

Loving your float lamps! Hoping to add more to the collection before next summer.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-05 10:04 am   Permalink

"(I don't think they go for bird boxes...but I'm sure I have other birds that would.)"
Wrens or Sparrows will, the hole size makes a difference too.

"Regarding the tiki in the hut, are you referring to the one on the front?"

No, on the inside the four tiki you have there.
Best to place four spots, one for each tiki.
This way you will not get too much light.
If you want to get really cool and fancy put colored lights behind each tiki too.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NSB Friki Tiki

Posted: 2014-11-05 12:10 pm   Permalink

Nice work !!!
I like the cut out's for the lights .

View Profile of NSB Friki Tiki Send a personal message to NSB Friki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-11-05 3:35 pm   Permalink

Here is a quick mock up of what I am talking about Jim.
This tiki has Neon in back and a Halogen light in front but have made a shroud
out of a can AND it has a heavy glass gel made for high heat, so I would
say use smaller light to keep costs down.
Those high heat gels are not cheap.
I added the neon to this tiki as well but any low watt c7 type bulb will work
you will just need more of them.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-05 5:28 pm   Permalink

Yeah that tiki looks cool with your lighting. Great idea!

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-03 06:21 am   Permalink

Now that the ice is off the pool, I'm dusting off the bar for the summer. Here are a couple spring shots from my pad...

The darn robins have nests all over the place...this year they built inside the bar above the backbar. I wonder what these baby robins think of their decor?

Pele got a new doo for the season.

I've got a handful of build projects to work on between now and July 11...the date of our son's graduation party. Stay tuned for some actual bar updates.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-03 06:22 ]

BeachcomberNC

Posted: 2015-06-03 4:30 pm   Permalink

I think your tiki bar looks great! All that work on the roof was worth it, and your burnt beams and routered trim too.

The white fence doesn't bother me too much, maybe just some tropical looking plants would soften it some.

It's inspiring to see this from someone without a lot of building experience. Or 20 boxes of tikis they've collected to instantly fill their bar.

View Profile of BeachcomberNC Send a personal message to BeachcomberNC  Goto the website of BeachcomberNC     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-04 04:59 am   Permalink

Thanks for your comments and compliment. I'm happy with how its turning out. I'm glad I built the roof the way I did that its done. It was challenging to build which I in retrospect makes it more rewarding.

While not tiki, the white fence doesn't bug me too much. When we entertain or even when I sit and enjoy the bar its in the evening. The tiki torches light the fence with a nice warm light and also I have two rows of hidden RGB LEDs along the fence that wash the fence in any color I want to set a mood (I generally go for amber or red). I'll try to get a photo towards evening to see if I can show that. At the end of the day, I have a grey contemporary style house with white trim, so the white fence looks best to the non-tikified masses. With that said, I've thought about extending the matting I used in the back-bar onto the fence on either side of the bar to make that area look a little more cohesive.

I've got a super cool concrete tiki mask/shield from Will Carve that I will be hanging on the fence soon too. Just need to get it painted. I picked it up from him last November while in Miami and the Keys for vacation.

In the long term, I have thought about moving the fence a 5-6 feet back along the deck area to create a planting area. I think that you are correct that some tropical looking plants would help out a lot.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-04 05:02 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-04 06:43 am   Permalink

Looks great!
I say potted plants for that fence area.
put em in the corner, and hang pots on the fence.

And on the pool thing I may not even open our pool.
On the first of June it was 52 degrees!

Since then it has been grey and rainy all but like one day and it rained the end of that day.
Man it's been cold here.
And a cold front is moving in on Monday.

Is it warm there?
Looks like we MAY get like four warm summer like months? If that.
What a rip!
Ohio blows!

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-04 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-04 06:43, tikiskip wrote:
Looks great!
I say potted plants for that fence area.
put em in the corner, and hang pots on the fence.

And on the pool thing I may not even open our pool.
On the first of June it was 52 degrees!

Since then it has been grey and rainy all but like one day and it rained the end of that day.
Man it's been cold here.
And a cold front is moving in on Monday.

Is it warm there?
Looks like we MAY get like four warm summer like months? If that.
What a rip!
Ohio blows!

Well Ohio does blow...I'll give you that! (Go Blue )

But yeah...its been a pretty miserable month here. Last weekend was one of the dreariest I can recall. 50-degrees and rainy all weekend.

I've thought about making some planters for the fence. Or possibly just some plants in pots on the deck in front of it. I screwed up this year...I usually pick up some palm plants on the cheap from the local box store in the spring (~$15 for a 4-5-foot tall palm). But I saw them back in early April and the next time I went to the store a few days later they were all gone. Obviously they don't live outside year round but at that price, I don't feel too bad about leaving them outside and replacing each year. I have a few houseplants, but I'm trying to avoid having a ton of plants inside. I dug up the bananas and over-wintered them in pots inside but was glad to finally get them out of the house.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-04 07:33 am   Permalink

I have discovered an issue or should I say put all the pieces of a puzzle together that I have been noticing over the past few weeks.

About a month ago, I had a pile of about 8 bumble bees laying on the concrete in front of the tiki bar.

A couple weeks ago, I noticed wood dust on the counter in the bar.

I finally got on a ladder and noticed a fresh hole in one of the 2x4 purlins inside the bar. I finally got a minute to do some online research and I'm pretty certain I have carpenter bees. (Apparently the males die after mating.) So far I only see one hole.

Does anyone have experience with dealing with these? I'd prefer to not have a bunch of holes eaten into the bar.

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-04 8:16 pm   Permalink

hey Jim
I had this problem also, but they were using my Tikis as homes! the problem is that they leave behind a scent, so every year the offspring follow it to the nest to have little bees. i found the humane way was to use orange oil as a spray, for some reason they dont like it, after they leave the nest plug the hole with steal wool, since they cant bore through it, and paint or lacquer the area to keep them from making new nests. other than that, they are completely harmless and are not aggressive at all, hope this helps!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-05 05:57 am   Permalink

I'll look into the orange spray...where did you get it?

I'm thinking for that existing hole, I don't mind adding another burn spot to the wood. I may just give them eviction my torch.

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-05 11:18 am   Permalink

I used the orange oil furniture spray, smells good, its food for the wood and will keep the bees out

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-05 5:38 pm   Permalink

Jimflies and PelePaul - we had (have?) a carpenter bee too. We had some people over and one of them noticed the bee going back into the hole we recently found in the wood structure of our bar, also up kind of high. I'm sadden to report to the bee lovers out there that the males in attendance took great joy in murdering the offending bee. We've just started hanging outside more as the pool was opened on Monday but haven't found any more bees or holes - yet. Thanks for the tip on the orange oil.

Jimflies - would you elaborate on picking up a concrete mask on your trip to Miami and the Keys? My husband and I are flying into Miami in July and driving to Key West for our anniversary and I'd love to acquire anything for my backyard! Mahalos in advance.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation