FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-05 17:38, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Jimflies - would you elaborate on picking up a concrete mask on your trip to Miami and the Keys? My husband and I are flying into Miami in July and driving to Key West for our anniversary and I'd love to acquire anything for my backyard! Mahalos in advance.

You might want to send WillCarve a message to see what all he has. Its fun to see his carving oasis with all his projects. I bought a few items from him...the largest being a concrete shield that is about 30x18-inches. I'm trying to figure out how I want to paint it right now. I'll post some pics of soon.

I also bought a 4-foot Tiki in Islemorada from Tiki & Co. at Mile Marker 82.7. While not as traditional as some of the fine carvings here on TC, I still like it. Here are a few pics I took at Tiki & Co. I was going to get the third one from the left and a guy bought it out from under me. But it worked out...I purchased the one he was carving when I was there and its pretty cool too. I didn't wait for them to polyurethane it...I still need to do that, but they knocked a little $$ off since it wasn't "finished".

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-09 13:33 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-09 5:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info, Jimsflies! I will be on the lookout for Tiki & co. I'll also get in contact with willcarve. We're flying though so I won't be able to bring anything as big as yours though!

Can't wait to see your concrete piece!

Lori

[ This Message was edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2015-06-09 18:19 ]

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-12 07:48 am   Permalink

Finally getting around to adding a awning over the front of the bar. Hopefully finish it up this weekend.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-12 08:08 am   Permalink

Looking Good!!

Hey is that thing going to flip up and down?
We have had some hellacious winds here.
We had a cool bamboo bar top thing that the wind ripped to shreads.

You could put vent holes in it too.

Good luck!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-12 08:26 am   Permalink

No, this is permanent (not hinged). I'm hoping this will protect the bar from getting as much weather...plus that main beam across the front needed to be protected. I didn't use cedar for that like other exposed areas.

I have some corrugated metal with smaller corrugations for the top that I'm going to install after I paint it to make it look rusty (like the existing roof).

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-14 10:33 am   Permalink

Another rainy weekend here. Still managing to be productive though. Before the rain came yesterday, I got the roof on the awning.

And the rain gave me a chance to get this concrete tiki mask painted...I don't think it turned out too bad.

Its 36" tall by about 18" wide.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-14 10:38 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-15 04:22 am   Permalink

WOW!
That looks great.
Good choice of colors.
Good job.
Your place looks better than the Mai-Kai.
Will

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-15 06:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-15 04:22, Will carve wrote:
WOW!
That looks great.
Good choice of colors.
Good job.
Your place looks better than the Mai-Kai.
Will

Thanks Will! It was great meeting you last November. Wished I lived closer...it was neat to see all of your carving projects.

I added a few more details last night after posting the photo above. I think I'm calling this done now. I have started thinking about getting it hung and making it look as good as possible on the fence.

Here it is with a few more details added...

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-15 18:32 ]

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-15 6:17 pm   Permalink

Wow..that concrete mask did turn out good!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 07:35 am   Permalink

I filled in the spot between the deck and bar with some pavers I had on hand last weekend. I didn't like the orange color of some of the pavers so I coated them with left over deck stain and made a pattern. It looks better than dirt...and keeps feet cleaner too (a good thing considering there is a gate there).

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 04:21 am   Permalink

I finally got the shield hung. Made a couple spears and a Kini to hang behind it.

Might add a couple more spears on top or maybe a couple tiki torches at the same angels.

I know the white fence isn't a fan favorite...the deck area has a sort of "Upscale Primitive" look going on I think.

I'm open to ideas....

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 04:27 am   Permalink

Looks good there.
That fence could make a great canvas.
Ask LLT to paint it up for you.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-29 06:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-06-29 04:27, Will carve wrote:
Looks good there.
That fence could make a great canvas.
Ask LLT to paint it up for you.

I'm sure LLT could do some cool stuff on there for sure! If you look back on Page 1, I had a few mock ups of murals. I ultimately decided not to go forward because I felt like it would only last a couple years before looking bad in the elements. I didn't want to keep a muralist on the permanent payroll.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-30 03:32 am   Permalink

More work on the bar...building shelves in the back this week.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2015-06-30 03:41 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-05 9:32 pm   Permalink

Big week coming up...my son's graduation party is this Saturday. Been working double time to get as much done as possible. We're expecting over 150. We've got a band that will be setting up next to the bar. Its an evening event so I've been working a lot on lighting.

I'll post some updates tomorrow. Wished I could take better night shots to show the lights.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation