FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-18 06:10 am   Permalink

Thanks Lori.

My wife said she saw the woodpecker on the center post again the other day. I don't think the owl is doing the trick. Fortunately, I haven't noticed any holes yet.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-18 06:18 am   Permalink

Here's a couple grainy progress pics of my current project. I'm redoing the draught beer tower. That chrome tower wasn't fitting in with the decor, and I also wanted more selection.

I made the top box out of pine and the base is pvc that I did a faux wood technique to blend it in.

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-18 9:13 pm   Permalink

Updated photo of the lounge area with 4th sail shade and posts completed.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-19 4:42 pm   Permalink

Man your place looks great!
That brown Tapa stuff may ramp up the bee thing though.

Do this for me watch the bees, spring is when they really get to digin holes.
BUT try to see if they are attracted to the brown paint in the carvings.

Yep it may look like an old bee hole and pull them in.
I am no expert but I have watched these bees for some time now
and even a nail or screw can drag them in, any dark spot that looks like a hole.

Good luck!!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-21 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-19 16:42, tikiskip wrote:
Man your place looks great!
That brown Tapa stuff may ramp up the bee thing though.

Do this for me watch the bees, spring is when they really get to digin holes.
BUT try to see if they are attracted to the brown paint in the carvings.

Yep it may look like an old bee hole and pull them in.
I am no expert but I have watched these bees for some time now
and even a nail or screw can drag them in, any dark spot that looks like a hole.

Good luck!!

Thanks Tikiskip. I hope I don't make it worse with the tapa on the posts. I hadn't noticed any carpenter bees on the posts before. But I agree the carpenter bees seem to key on existing holes. I think they don't like to bore into painted/finished wood. But will use existing holes in finished wood. They will bore into unfinished wood (such as the structural members in the bar's roof.

Here's an update of my draft tower project:

I have been getting corny kegs (the one's homebrewers use) filled at the local brew pub. Its nice to have a few flavors to pick from. I can also use one tap to make my own soda water for the bar.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2016-08-21 11:06 ]

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-21 11:11 am   Permalink

A few more updates....been making some headway the past month.

I refinished the bar top and finally trimmed out the front edge. I had been contemplating the best way to trim the front edge with the curved corners. This is what I came up with:

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-23 05:59 am   Permalink

Some updated photos of the inside. Added fronts and doors to the backbar cabinets and also paneling and trim to the sidewalls. Sink is also complete and functioning. I still have a few pieces of trim to carve and install:

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-23 09:18 am   Permalink

Your place is looking real nice, keep us posted.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-24 5:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hiltiki.

I took a few more night shots last night.

Arial view from upper deck.

Couple other angles:

W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Great night shots. You did a super job on the whole space. I don't think you should give up on the mural-on-the-fence idea. Yes, it will get weathered, but that will just add to the ambiance and retro tiki flavor. The amount of work here is astounding.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRetardo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-11 11:03 pm   Permalink

Awesome space and an amazing bar ...It all looks perfect !!!!

View Profile of TikiRetardo Send a personal message to TikiRetardo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-09-19 11:54 am   Permalink

https://www.google.com/search?q=room+dividers+ideas&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrk5uRjZzPAhXHdx4KHUQTDJEQsAQInAE&biw=1280&bih=644&dpr=1.5#imgrc=028MWog0Yg00DM%3A

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-09-19 1:26 pm   Permalink

This one is better, they call them Environment-friendly square durable wood-plastic hanging screen; fashionable.

Look at the cork one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=homemade+wood+room+dividers+ideas&biw=1280&bih=644&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiPwtvuoJzPAhXClR4KHWkjCqMQsAQIVQ#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACWNliIfljVGEIjiFKmw42-t8EA_1ZI_1PMlpRKjd39VtGkwiJejccLeFLD5pNLFwb4zLFDVZuWmTou26AoJcGHNAvsgioSCYUqbDjb63wQEXd-3DE0XnJ1KhIJD9kj88yWlEoR7RnKjwDD7VwqEgmN3f1W0aTCIhGmYgVvFa4fEyoSCV6Nxwt4UsPmEaRVOJ1kCNQEKhIJk0sXBvjMsUMRkc482kxtSY8qEglVm5aZOi7boBEjGVpFZ5o6jCoSCSglwYc0C-yCEfW2w0Ulhh7l&q=homemade%20wood%20room%20dividers%20ideas

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-19 7:29 pm   Permalink

@W8N2Surf and @TikiRetardo thanks for your compliments.

@tikiskip thanks for the links.

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-19 7:32 pm   Permalink

BTW- The woodpecker hit me again today...put a hole through the new boards. He didn't get on the carved sides yet though. So not sure if that blows the theory that they key in on existing holes like the carpenter bees.

I added another owl this evening. It seemed like the posts closest to the owl he left alone, so we'll see if adding one on the other side keeps him away.

I think I need some tiki banners or flags or something to hang off the posts to create some motion. Any ideas are appreciated.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation