FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Ki'o wai Lounge (bar construction page 3)
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-16 1:58 pm   Permalink

Now that I am into this sloped ridge, I am really skeptical how it is going to work out when I put the corrugated metal roof on. Not to mention how difficult double notched rafters are to match up to the changing angles.

If you look at this head on photo, you can see how the angles change on the rafters. I'm not sure how the corrugated metal will be able to stay straight and look good as there is a "bend" effect to the variable angled rafters. Also, will the ridges and valleys match up correctly with the lower section of the roof? Anyone with thoughts on this...wondering if I should redo the ridge now or keep plugging along with my fingers crossed?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 06:04 am   Permalink

I'll bore you guys with some more updates...at some point, some one as crazy as me might want to build a weird roof like this and maybe these updates will help.

With any luck by this weekend, I can move on to construction of the actual bar while I wait for the roofing to come in. Who would have thought that corrugated metal roofing like you see at every run down farm in the country is a special order!

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRetardo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-18 10:26 pm   Permalink

It looks amazing .............I wanted to do something like that but it is way beyond my meager woodworking skills .........Cant wait to see the finished product

View Profile of TikiRetardo Send a personal message to TikiRetardo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

Really loving your space and the detail. The Mark Ryden image on the fence is great - one of my favorite tiki theme paintings ever. I've included some pics of a pump house I built to hide our pool pump and to make it look a bit more tikified. The photos are taken 2 years apart. Might give you some ideas.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-19 11:58 pm   Permalink

That is some great tropical fauna ya got going on there!!! Looks fabulous.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-21 1:48 pm   Permalink

It's really looking great jimsflies. I look forward to seeing how you do this.

Great job!

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 06:31 am   Permalink

I can't recommend constructing this style roof to anyone...the extra work this has taken was under estimated. I just spent the entire weekend cutting lower rafters so they sit correctly. I still have a decent amount of work to do on the roof structure, including the front and back overhang rafters (compound cuts).

Here it is as of this morning...

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 06:34 am   Permalink

@Thurston Howell IV that's some nice fauna. I wished those things would grow around here. I love the pineapple...is that real?

Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-22 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-22 06:34, jimsflies wrote:
@Thurston Howell IV that's some nice fauna. I wished those things would grow around here. I love the pineapple...is that real?

Yep, the pineapple is real. We have a similar climate to Hawaii so like the song goes, "We've got mangoes and bananas you can pick right off the tree". But hey that pool side garden of yours looks great as does the construction. Full marks.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 6:57 pm   Permalink

You're pineapple has inspired me...I think I may have just the spot for a "plant" or two once I'm done with the build.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-22 9:59 pm   Permalink

Ooops...sorry for my fauna fopah!!!

That roof, even though it was difficult, will certainly be unique!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-kitty
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 07:01 am   Permalink

Looks great! I love the fire-pit!

View Profile of Tiki-kitty Send a personal message to Tiki-kitty      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 4:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-22 18:57, jimsflies wrote:
You're pineapple has inspired me...I think I may have just the spot for a "plant" or two once I'm done with the build.

The pineapples I've planted are simply the tops cut off those bought from the local fruit shop. Strip a few rows of leaves, let it dry out for a week and plant. They're not too fussy about soil quality but should have good drainage.

Here's another pic showing local fauna as distinct from local flora (couldn't resist):

jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-23 6:37 pm   Permalink

I wonder if kangaroos are as much of a nuisance for you as deer are for me? Do they like to play tag with cars?

While I'm posting a couple updated photos showing the framing front gable of the roof.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-23 7:20 pm   Permalink

Uh oh...busted twice...I meant flora. But Thurston...your fauna are danged cute!!! I got waskally wabbits and rootin tootin racoons that keep my dogs busy in my canyon.

Wow that side view really shows the angles on that roof...it is going to be great.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation