FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Ideas for a retro Hawaiian radio station name, please.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Ideas for a retro Hawaiian radio station name, please.
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 1:27 pm   Permalink

As some of you may know from previous "Show Us Your Record Collection" posts, I have a rather extensive life-long collection of Hawaiian/Exotica LPs...something in the neighborhood of 2,500 of them.
Over the years, off & on, I have enjoyed several stations in various formats set up by private individuals on Live365 radio on the internet. Recently, I've thought perhaps I ought to set up a station using my collection as a way of sharing this type of music with those who might enjoy it. I sometimes think that it's rather self-indulgent to just sit on all this stuff & play it for myself & a few friends only..
Anyway, if I do it (still not totally decided), I was planning to NOT focus on Exotica as I think that's pretty well covered already, but to focus on the Hawaiian and "pseudo-Hawaiian" recordings of the 1940s-1980s. It would be all vinyl, no CDs, and the unaltered sound quality would reflect that..I think it's part of the charm of records. So, it would cover the Native Hawaiian, Hapa-Haole, Hula acts, hotel lounge acts, easy listening orchestras & vocalists from the Mainland/Overseas, lots of steel guitar, & a smattering of exotica.
I'm sort of asking 2 questions..
1) Anyone had experience w/ Live365Radio? Good? Bad? Suggestions?
2) Station name?? This question is important... I know you can tag it all sorts of ways, but I still think the actual station name is very important. It should reflect that it's "Hawaiian"..that it's somehow "retro", and that it's from "records, vinyl."

I had been think of simply "Retro Hawaiian Holiday" or "Retro Hawaiian Vacation" or "Retro Hawaiian Festival", etc. Yesterday, I thought of "Long Play Luau", but I'm not sure the "long play" reference would be caught by everyone..although I suppose it would be by the folks that it was INTENDED for.
Anyway, I'm looking for ideas or suggestions on station title.
I'm not expecting to make a big deal or production out of this, but I figure there might a few people who would enjoy hearing some of the collection and maintaining a small personal station there is quite inespensive.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2012-09-04 13:29 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 7:16 pm   Permalink

I like all the music mentioned above, it would be a dream come true to be able to listen to this music. Good luck with setting up your station if you decide to do so.
I like your TC name Kaiwaza, so maybe your name mixed in with Paradise and Hawaii... Kaiwaza's Hawaiian Paradise.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 7:57 pm   Permalink

How about "Vintage Hawaiian" or "Classic Hawaiian" or use a classic TV show for the title "Hawaiian Eye"?

I like live365. I have had a radio station with them for 10 years. They make it easy to upload your tracks and I use a random play list. When you get listeners to sign up, for VIP, they give you kick backs to reduce your fees.

"People are like islands. You have to get close to them to know what they are about."
~ Adam Troy

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale  Email MaukaHale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-04 8:00 pm   Permalink

K-WAZA!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-05 09:03 am   Permalink

Luau 33

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 09:24 am   Permalink

Awesome. Real tiki music. I love it!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-08 12:10 pm   Permalink

The other day, I thought of "Pupu Platters"..a take off on an old slang term for records (platters).
Maybe a simpler approach might be better..the 33 reference is nice. Maybe "Hawaii at 33 1/3rpm." Hmmm..still thinking.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-08 3:25 pm   Permalink

Kaiwaza, how about something like, The Vinyl Lanai or Kanikapila Calls? I checked out Live365 and many of the hawaiian/polynesian stations weren't available until you became a paying member, not even to take a sample listen. It would be nice to have that option, or do you know if your station be one of the free ones?

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-08 8:35 pm   Permalink

Tikicoma,
I would definitely make mine a free listening station..

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-12 01:05 am   Permalink

I know I'm talking to myself...but how about "Hawaii Hi-Fi.....All Ha-Vinyl, All The Time."?

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-12 1:52 pm   Permalink

I believe "radio broadcast" in Hawaiian is "Ho'olele leo" - maybe that

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-12 2:17 pm   Permalink

"Vintage Sounds of the Island's"

Do they still use the "K" designation in radio station I.D.s? "K-Aloha"

"Sounds of the trade winds, blowing in from the past"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-12 8:14 pm   Permalink

Retro 50

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-13 7:16 pm   Permalink

"Retro Hawaiian Hit Parade"

"Polynesian Platters from the Past"

"Vintage Vinyl Vacation"

"Vintage Vinyl Voyage"

"Vintage Vinyl Vacation Voyage"

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-14 4:03 pm   Permalink

So, it's up & running.
"Hawaiian Hi-Fi"
DJ Kaiwaza

I didn't realize it until yesterday, but I can change the title anytime if I want to, so I went basic..
I'm just starting small..it's only a four hour playlist repeated. I'll add more later as I get more used to the process.
At least anyone who doesn't have access to any of this music can enjoy it and I set it at a low enough bitate that dialup users can access it also.

http://www.live365.com/stations/kaiwaza

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation