FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Tobacco Pipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Tobacco Pipes
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-10 1:51 pm   Permalink

What wood did you use on that one, Aloha?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-11 07:13 am   Permalink

That was Walnut. I have also used Cocobolo, Paduak and Cherry. The harder woods are better, but they also get hotter. The Walnut stays cooler, and smokes nice once the bowl in "seasoned".

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-11 10:35 am   Permalink

From the website of pipe maker Michael Parks, we have this oceanic-themed beauty...

"The Oom Ocean Volcano is the first pipe in an ocean themed seven day set, named The Ocean's Seven Pipes set. This piece incorporates Sharks' Teeth, Tiger Coral and Mother of Pearl into a custom accent. The stem is a brilliant red Acrylic intended to suggest lava flow in the depths of the sea."

http://www.parkspipes.com/index.html

Here is an early 19th century pipe from New Zealand, from the Bridgeman Art Library.

And while Cameroon is far afield from the territories normally associated with tiki, the craftsmanship on this pipe sets a high standard for execution in figural pipe-making. From the Indianapolis Museum of Art, this piece was constructed from ceramic, ivory, iron and gum.

This Maori pipe is attributed to carver Tom Heberley by the Auckland Museum. The words "Kia Ora" are carved into the wood.

This pipe, also attributed to Heberley, features a carved gecko on the stem, with tiny paua shell eyes.

Various unattributed Maori designs:

This Vera Cummings portrait of a Maori woman smoking a pipe is entitled "Kapai Te Toriri," or "tobacco is good." Who are we to argue?

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2012-09-11 11:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2012-09-11 11:22 ]

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-11 11:15 am   Permalink

A very informative page on Maori pipes and pipe makers can be found here...

http://www.pijpenkabinet.nl/Artikelen/maori-pijpen/art-E-maori-pipes.html

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-11 11:22 am   Permalink

Great research and lots of inspiration WD

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-11 7:05 pm   Permalink

Nice thread. While not a pipe per se, still related.

Unusual pipe tamper from Don The Beachcomber. Wonder if Donn smoked a pipe?

Wonder what my teenagers would do with this? A Tiki related item they could actually use.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-11 8:10 pm   Permalink

You beat me to photographing that tamper: I just got one on eBay.

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-16 05:51 am   Permalink

Here's a swell-looking tobacco container carved from a coconut shell, and more can be seen here...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37394&forum=2&start=15&24

The provenance of these Sotheby's auction items has been questioned, but for tiki purposes they remain ostensibly tribal and undeniably figural. So, for what it's worth...

More 19th century pipes from the Marquesas...

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2012-09-16 06:08 ]

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-17 08:05 am   Permalink

This item, wryly reports the New Zealand Electronic Text Centre, "represents a peculiar artifact said to have been found at Purakanui, Otago, and which some genius has labelled 'Maori Flute.' It is more in sorrow than in anger that we disclaim this weird looking object. As a seven bowled tobacco pipe it might satisfy the most ardent of smokers."

Friedrich Ratzel writes in his "The History of Mankind: The Races of Oceania,"
"As kava came in from the eastward, so did tobacco and betel from the west. We can indicate New Guinea and its neighbourhood as the central point of both. Both travel in close conjunction, tobacco having spread with extraordinary rapidity; for instance, in a few years it has overrun the Admiralty Islands and New Ireland. Towards the end of the eighties the limit of tobacco passed exactly through Normanby, now it is cultivated on all the larger groups of the Pacific Islands, and in many places it already grows wild. In east and south-east New Guinea it is smoked with a piece of bamboo, through the small opening of which the smoke is drawn from the bowl and swallowed; this intoxicating practice is known as bau-bau. In the Woodlark, Trobriand, and Laughlan groups, the natives profess to have smoked through a reed before the arrival of the Europeans. This was filled with the smoke from the leaves of a certain bush, and then passed round the circle till it was emptied. This reed has been mistakenly regarded as a weapon. The Papuas are great smokers, and A. B. Meyer mentions as a peculiarity of theirs that, after puffing out the smoke through nose or mouth, they form their mouths to a point, and draw in the air with a noise, so that he could always hear when a Papua was smoking in his neighbourhood. Clay pipes have long been manufactured at various spots among the islands, and the Maoris understood how to carve them of stone in the same artistic fashion as is shown in their most original utensils."

A few more Maori pipes...

Batak (Sumatran) tobacco pipes and tobacco container.

Inwa was the ancient imperial capital of the Burmese kingdoms from the 14th to 19th centuries. This 17th century bronze pipe features a head adorned with a gombi, a headdress with features that supposedly reflected the inner character of the wearer.

This is a 16th or 17th century clay pipe from Inwa and depicts a Keinnaya, which is a legendary half-human, half-bird entity.

This Karo Batak pipe, decorated with the face of singa, was extremely heavy and probably rested upon the ground.

Nias bone pipe.

Bringing our Oceanic pipe tour to both a geographic and chronological conclusion, here we have a modern tribal Chokwe (Congo) pipe, 24 1/2" inches long: an impressive rendering upon a depressing theme.

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-17 08:37 am   Permalink

A sampling of tribal pipes and handheld implements depicted in Auguste Racinet's "The Costume History (1876)."

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-17 09:43 am   Permalink

Madame Gustika of the Duckbill Tribe as photographed on April 12, 1930 while smoking a pipe with an extended mouthpiece to fit the contours of her lips (Photo courtesy of Wikipedia). A greater diligence and dedication to one's hobby would be hard to fathom.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-17 09:49 am   Permalink

Great research WD! Impressive thread.

Here's my theory, you can make custom blends by putting a separate type of tobacco in each bowl; a little Dark Virginia in one bowl, a little Light Virginia in another, a little Burly, a little Latakia, a little Perique. If you are getting too much spice you just snuff the Perique bowl

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-17 10:01 am   Permalink

A perambulatory Pu Pu Platter of nicotiana!

White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2012-09-19 10:59 am   Permalink

Guillaume Apollinaire enjoys a pipe in the tikified studio of Pablo Picasso, Boulevarde de Clichy, Paris.

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-19 1:04 pm   Permalink

"I'm a bit mystified why there aren't more exemplars of tiki-themed smoking pipes (for this thread's purposes, tobacco-specific) floating around out there.

If you're pondering the output of tobacco pipe carvers I'd guess the level of Tiki images is probably about that same as it is in any craft.

Personal interests of the carvers aside there might be a lack of demand for Tiki tobacco pipes even among that minute fraction who happen to like both Tiki and tobacco pipes. I'm one of those people and though I think the Tiki tobacco pipes posted here are really swell (I Facebook LIKED your original post!) I don't have any desire for a Tiki tobacco pipe. I tend not to mix my interests like that. I like western boots but don't want a pair with Tiki designs. (Still, if someone said "Hey! I got these size 12
Rocketbuster Tiki boots I don't ever wear, you want em?" I'd without hesitation say "Yes, please.")

PS:

I'd guess those to be Tiki mugs in that mural.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation