[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Aloha Okolemaluna, Mahalo for the memories
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Aloha Okolemaluna, Mahalo for the memories
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 10:42 am   Permalink

I just read that Okolemaluna Tiki Lounge in Kailua Kona has closed its doors today. I'm totally crushed. It was a fantastic bar staffed by fantastic people, and the drinks were amazing. There is nothing else in the state that can compare - and when your state is in the middle of the pacific ocean it is a painful thought that you need to now travel 2000 miles to get a good Mai-Tai. Bryce and crew, Mahalo for the memories - I hope someday we meet again!

Okolemaluna's FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/okolemalunatikilounge

Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2012-09-25 10:42 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 10:57 am   Permalink

I regret that I didn't get to stop by when I was in Kona two years ago. That's an interesting side of the island, both from the perspective of appearance and also what the free-standing businesses have to do in order to compete successfully against the big resort complexes and hotels. I can only hope that the talent and the tiki love from that establishment will migrate and re-form elsewhere to spread the goodness.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 11:01 am   Permalink

I know the hospitality industry is a rough place to chase the dream, but thanks for chasing it anyway. It's the one industry where you can do it right, but still get caught in all of the constant variables. To all involved, best wishes for good things to come out the experience.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 11:06 am   Permalink

Bryce is the bar manager of Forbidden Island in Alameda now.

His wife is still in Hawaii and will be coming over shortly (if she hasn't in the past week since I have seen him).

**I have to edit this based on the news from VanTiki that the bar was demo'd!

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2012-09-25 13:20 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 11:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-25 11:06, SandraDee wrote:
The bar has a new owner......wait and see

Tease!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 11:48 am   Permalink

**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd
Bryce is super cool though and its awesome to have him at FI.

He was saying how happy he is to be over here and to be working there and its a nice change of pace from running the bar.

He is an awesome addition to the staff.

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2012-09-25 13:20 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 12:30 pm   Permalink

I am SO relieved! Please give Bryce a big ALOHA for me next time you see him - I am stoked to hear he is doing well. I'll miss him!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 1:49 pm   Permalink

That is really sad. I visited twice this year. We had a great time, they made such great drinks. The last night my friends and I were in Kona, we were all tired and feeling lazy and hung over from a week of drinking. I convinced everyone that since it was our last night together, that we should at least go out and get one last drink(I am very glad that we did now). We sat down and ordered a Volcano Bowl. My wife was too sick to have any with us so 3 of us went to work. Finished that guy up and wanted another. The bartender that night made us an "off the menu" Volcano Bowl. Needless to say the night turned around and we had a blast! On our way out we purchased the last Gecko Kona Gold Okolemaluna tiki mug.

Best Missionaries Downfall I have ever had!!!

Thanks for the great memories!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-25 2:12 pm   Permalink

What happened? A week ago they were posting about R&D for drink specials in October. Now they're closed and the building has been demolished?! Was it simply the bar that was demo'd or the building itself? Must be misunderstanding something. Seems awful fast to go from a business looking toward future plans to not existing at all. Bryce is happy to be over here and to be working there (FI). Am I in a time warp? Kind of a confusing thread...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 2:22 pm   Permalink

Demolished?

Wha!?!?!?

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-25 2:28 pm   Permalink

From Sandra Dee's reply:

"**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd"

It caught me by surprise as well. According to what this thread seems to be saying, they closed their doors today, have already been demolished and Bryce is already gone and established at FI. Talk about a busy day. Something tells me there is more to this story, even if only details or a more accurate timeline....

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-25 14:28, LostIsland wrote:
From Sandra Dee's reply:
"**I have to edit this because VanTIki just emailed me to tell me the bar was demo'd"

...and we know it's not April Fool's Day today, so what gives with this news?

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-25 9:50 pm   Permalink

Bummer, I was hoping to make it to Okolemaluna on a trip to Hawaii next year.

It also explains why I got an email from my dad last night, while he's vacationing on the big island, telling me the place was closed and dark. I had bugged him to visit, not knowing it had just ceased operations. Oops.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alii Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 03:05 am   Permalink

Aloha from one sad & thirsty Kona resident - I went by the bar on my way home from work today and it's gone. Much of the wall cladding is in place still, the booths,the beautiful bar and that fantastical lava feature remain intact. BUT the place is stripped, the sign is down and the note on the door says A Hui Hou.
In the spirit of urban archaeology and all that is TIKI, I'll try and pry a door open or tip the building maintenance man for a peek inside the dark and now lifeless shell that now stands here in the mid-pacific.
Brice & Lisa are great friends and I've enjoyed seeing them growing in this world and loving each other as well as all who are in their lives. OKOLEMALUNA

View Profile of Alii Tiki Send a personal message to Alii Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 10:23 am   Permalink

The bar was up for sale, did someone buy it?

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation