FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Aloha Okolemaluna, Mahalo for the memories
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Aloha Okolemaluna, Mahalo for the memories
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 10:45 am   Permalink

Brice (or Bryce?) has been at FI for a month or so already so it wasn't overnight.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-26 11:46 am   Permalink

Oh OK. Shame it could not stay open. I'm glad to hear that the building is still there, just stripped of most of it's former contents. Hopefully someone will re-open it. Especially if Tiki. Initially it seemed so sudden, but I'm sure it took a few days to sort out and just came out all at once. The loss of any Tiki bar diminishes us all...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 11:54 am   Permalink

For background info, try these threads...

From February 2012;

Wanna own a tiki bar in Hawaii?

From early September 2012;

New manager at Forbidden Island

Definitely not overnight.

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-26 12:02 pm   Permalink

Very good, thank you!

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 2:30 pm   Permalink

Just wondering the reason(s) behind the shutdown. Island fever? Not enough business to sustain the price of paradise? I know it had been for sale for awhile, but don't know any details beyond that. We went there on our last trip to the Big Island in January and had an amazing evening there drinking some of the best concotions I have ever had to date. I felt at home once inside among the familiar artists artwork hanging on the walls and Tikiyaki playing in the background. I told our friends that live in Kona yesterday that Okolemaluna is pau hana and they were very bummed. We actually introduced them to the place and they continued to go after our visit and would take all the malihini's there. I'm going back next August for the Mai Tai Festival and was so looking forward to having another go at the place. Stoked to have had the oppurtunity to experience it once though.

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rumdumpster
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-26 3:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone!

I am (or was) a bartender at Okolemaluna.

I just wanted to set some things straight. The bar had been for sale for quite a long time. We had a person place a bid on it, however this dragged on for weeks and on Monday the deal feel apart. Brice and Lisa got the call at 8am and by 10am we where tearing the bar apart.

I do not want to speculate as to the reasons why the bar was closed, but I can assure everyone that the local intrest for a bar of this type is there. It is a hard blow to the locals in the big island as the standards of cocktails and service are.... Lackluster to say the least

I hope that someone will come along and contine where Okolemaluna has left off

View Profile of Rumdumpster Send a personal message to Rumdumpster  Email Rumdumpster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brice
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-26 4:00 pm   Permalink

The Bar was for sale and it didn't go through. We were keeping it open just for the sale of the bar, but the sale wasn't meant to be. I'm sad to close Okolemaluna but due to my new position at Forbidden Island and our tiny bar against the giants of ocean front property we called it. This wasn't a sudden or rush decision on our part. We were really hoping for the sale to go through and for all of our awesome patrons and friends to continue to get the great drinks and service they know and love. I haven't had time to morn this loss as I am so devoted to Forbidden Island and bringing Aloha and Island feel here. Okolemaluna was a lounge of love and care for all who entered. I can only remain positive about the changes going forward. I'm honored that so many of you were either a part of Okolemaluna or wanting to be. I do not wish any ill will anywhere about the doors closing. This was a dream that came true and many of you enjoyed it but the only constant is change and on our closing, a new door opens. Please know that I love and respect all of the touching comments on here and know I will be at Forbidden Island to say aloha.

View Profile of Brice Send a personal message to Brice      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-09-26 10:08 pm   Permalink

Sorry to hear about Okolemaluna Brice but very stoked to here that you are at Forbidden Island.. I'm bummed I lived only an island away and never got to see it, been one of those years for a couple now since I last saw you.. I get to Cali more than Big Island so I'll be coming in hopefully sooner than later my friend...
Much aloha and success on your new adventure!
AlohA

TikiPop On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-27 12:32 pm   Permalink

I was super excited to check out Okolemaluna, during our trip to Kona last year...and it did not disappoint!! I sat at the bar for several hours and consumed an untold number of delicious cocktails. "Without a doubt, the best drinks in the State", I posted on facebook right after. Yes, it is with great sadness that I learned of the demise of the bar, but I'm thrilled that the Tiki Gods sent Brice to us at Forbidden Island, to carry on the good work! Welcome to Forbidden Island, Brice! May your tenure here for long and fruitful!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-27 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-27 12:32, Molokai Mike wrote:
Welcome to Forbidden Island, Brice! May your tenure here for long and fruitful!

I will second that!!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-28 11:07 am   Permalink

I am very proud to call Brice and Lisa my friends. I was able to see the beginnings of Okolemaluna taking shape and actually form into a beautiful reality. The pride they both took in the decor, the drinks, the food, was unbelievable. Hell, the lava rock fountain was created just for Okolemaluna! As life moves on, we are all given new challenges and opportunities, and are crazy not to follow new paths. It will be great to see Brice taking over reins at Forbidden Island with his inventive drink concoctions, and once Lisa joins us here on the mainland, I can't wait to see what she comes up with for new pupu!!

I am a little bummed to hear Okolemaluna has closed, since I had a day trip already planned in my upcoming November Maui trip, just to have a few drinks there. Even if new owners had taken over by that time, I wanted to keep the mana alive and well in Kona Town. I heard of the pending sale and was thrilled with the info I heard, but since it is no longer a possibility, I might not take the day trip to Kona... maybe I need to see La Mariana (Honolulu) again instead!!

Aloha, Okolemaluna! Kona's loss is Alameda and SF Bay Area's gain!! Welcome back Brice & Lisa!! A hui ho!

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-10-28 10:34 am   Permalink

My wife and I were on our way to Brad Parker's Hawaii-Ween show at the Wylwnd the first night we arrived. Tradition holds that a Mai Tai or two must be par taken of on the first evening in Kailua-Kona. It usually turns into every night. We ate at Bongo Ben's for dinner and while ordering, the server, KC, told us of their demise. In celebratory mourning, we had a Mai Tai in their honor. Bottoms up Okolemaluna. You will be sorely missed.

Oh yeah.
VanTiki,
Bongo Ben's Mai Tai is pretty tasty in its own right if you can settle for a close second.
So...off to the Sea Food Bar in Kawaihae...

Tiki Slob

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 1:01 pm   Permalink

Awww, I was planning a trip there in the spring! Well, it looks like Forbidden Island just added some great talent, so that's a plus. But I'm so sorry about this closure. No one likes to see a Tiki bar close! Well, none of US do, anyway!

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-28 5:20 pm   Permalink

Such a bummer. Was hoping to check the place out on an upcoming trip. Now where do I go,Hooters?

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Slob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-20 4:05 pm   Permalink

Mrs Slob and I too were disappointed that it was closed. Sad thing that is. We wanted to stop by there for our first Mai Tai of the trip. SO...we had to settle for a lesser place.
Aloha Okolemaluna.
TS

View Profile of Tiki Slob Send a personal message to Tiki Slob  Email Tiki Slob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation