FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Fake Coco Joe's...is this really a problem?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Fake Coco Joe's...is this really a problem?
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 12:42 pm   Permalink

I'll be damned.
It's a guy.
And he's on TC.
Maybe we can get him to jump in on this thread?
Eh?

Also, I dig the Jeep.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 1:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks Buzzy....I figured if anyone knew, it would be you.

So is there a sure fire way of telling the repro's from the originals?

Wonder if they make the new plaques without the colors....Since I can't ever seem to find the 3 tiki and the single tiki plaque at a decent price on ebay or in the wild.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-01 1:30 pm   Permalink

So there actually are multicolored Coco Joe's items? Can we still assume that the ones mentioned in this thread have been counterfeits?

I too am curious as to how to tell the real from the fakes. I'd hate to base it on something as arbitrary as how new or clean it looks.

[ This Message was edited by: bob5150 2012-11-01 13:39 ]

View Profile of bob5150 Send a personal message to bob5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:02 pm   Permalink

I believe I had a conversation with him at the International Tiki Marketplace. Just looked back to see if he was there, and he was.

I think he said that he made those mugs for the Purple Orchid...

Would he like it if someone made copies of those...

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:18 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38683&forum=17&26

Here is more info on that...

Hale Tiki - That red/orange one is his Purple Orchid mug that he is selling for $80.

[ This Message was edited by: lunavideogames 2012-11-01 18:26 ]

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-01 18:02, lunavideogames wrote:

I think he said that he made those mugs for the Purple Orchid...

Would he like it if someone made copies of those...

Those mugs are copies of the Stockton Islander Bumatay mug.

I like Tiki Al.

He has always been nice to me.

I don't buy his items but it is obvious others do.

I say just talk to him if you have questions or an issue.

I am sure he would be receptive to having a conversation with ya

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-01 6:58 pm   Permalink

I do know that they were not his original design.

SandraDee - I agree with you. He is very nice. I chatted with him for quite a bit.

bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-01 8:12 pm   Permalink

For the record, here's a link to some pics of some of the other CCJ-type items that are being discussed:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=42065&forum=17&vpost=654580

The existence of these items doesn't bug me(unless there's some sort of infringement going on), but as a CCJ newbie I feel that its important for potential buyers to know what their getting. The ebay listings, mentioned earlier in this thread, refer to the items as "CocoJoe's" not "CocoJoe's-style" and some of them are ending in the 20-30 dollar range. While that amount is unlikely to break the bank, especially for collectors, its too much if one thinks that they're getting something that they are not.

Repros definitely have a place, as evidenced in the several classic and rare mugs that have received the treatment. We all know that some of those mugs have gone on to attain high values of their own. Difference seems to be that we knew that they were tributes, homages, repros, etc...before laying down the money to buy them.

Thanks everyone for continuing to educate me, and maybe others, on CCJ.

Bob

View Profile of bob5150 Send a personal message to bob5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-01 9:42 pm   Permalink

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to I.D. Tiki Al

He has never misrepresented any of his items at the Tiki Market Place at Don's
though I do believe these are newer items versus vintage
Al is a true character & a very nice guy & he vends at many of the Tiki events
if you have questions,I am sure he will be glad to give you the 711.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-02 7:21 pm   Permalink

I dig the mug.
I liked the original too, and would love to have one.
$80 is a bit out of my range for a mug at the moment though.
He seems like a genuine wack-a-do. And I mean that in the absolute nicest way possible.
Being a bit of a nutjob myself.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-02 10:42 pm   Permalink

I believe he was selling the purple ones for $40.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-03 09:47 am   Permalink

Dunno, but the guy on ebay is not Tiki Al. It's a guy named Phil, who seemed to be confused when I contacted him, and said Tiki Al. I don't know if Phil is his mainland contact who doesn't know him as Tiki Al, or just some random guy who buys the stuff from Al.

Maybe we can get Tiki Al to weigh in on this thread. And to let us know where to get the purple mugs! (It'd be cool if they didn't have Purple Orchid on them. I know I saw some on that thread that didn't. And as much as I like the owners of the Purple Orchid, who were very cool when I met them recently, I only like buying location mugs if I've been there, or if it no longer exists.)

bob5150
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-11-04 7:10 pm   Permalink

Hale Tiki,

Did the subject of his "Coco Joe's" stock ever come up when you contacted him. Just curious if he had anything to say about their authenticity.

cheers,

Bob

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-04 10:02 pm   Permalink

The Phoney CCJ's goes back Years.....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29907&forum=12&vpost=419211&hilite=ebay

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29907&forum=12&vpost=430146&hilite=ebay

The ebay links are now gone, but the items are the same. If the
rhinestones are a different color or shape than ones you've seen before...it's probably New....Also the colored plaques in different colors are to be suspect too... HoKU

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-07 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-04 19:10, bob5150 wrote:
Hale Tiki,

Did the subject of his "Coco Joe's" stock ever come up when you contacted him. Just curious if he had anything to say about their authenticity.

cheers,

Bob

He did not. And he's definitely not associated with Tiki Al. I'll inquire more.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation