FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Lucky's Tiki Bonanza - Now in 3D!!!
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 12:40 pm   Permalink

Absolutely, Jeff. It's my first Hukilau, and I can't wait.

So, as to why not etch and frost/front. I'm not entirely sure I understand the question, so I'll answer it as best I can. Both methods will fade when faced with condensation/water, it's the nature of glass. The short version is that the water helps to fill in the missing glass and refract the light...........zzzzzz Wah? What? I'm up, I'm up.
Both methods eat away at the surface of the glass to create a frosted effect. A laser uses heat to etch the glass, frosting uses hydroflouric acid to etch. The difference is that one is a lot safer than the other, is more cost effective, less time consuming, and produces a more exact result.

To frost the logos on, I'd first need to apply some type of resist, usually a vinyl. Then carefully apply the acid/cream, or the cheap way is a spray can. Then allow things to dry, carefully remove the vinyl...it's a labor intensive process, and not meant for production work.

Laser engraving/etching them consists of putting the glass in the laser, making sure it's level/aligned, hitting start, and letting it's do it's thing.

Cleanup on both needs to be done.

Frosting THEN etching would mean the logo wouldn't show up as well, as it's all kind of the same: just removing material from the surface to create an uneven/not clear surface.

Does that answer the question?

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-03-14 12:47 ]

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-14 1:00 pm   Permalink

Acid etching works OK for a few pieces when you don't just happen to have a laser engraver in your back pocket

Very cool stuff Hale

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 1:08 pm   Permalink

'zactly, Mike.

Gotta do something to make up for being underpaid and under-appreciated, and use of the facilities where I work is nice. I took a few years off from here, and after I left the first time I worked here, I didn't know what to do without a laser cutter, CNC plasma cutter, or mold making shop.

It was a sad day. But now I have them all back, so woo!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 8:44 pm   Permalink

Got it. Thanks guys. Sorry for the kinda vague question.

It will be my first Huki as well. PM me Hale and we will exchange info to make sure we meet up.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-19 3:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

I mentioned before that I was working on series of fictional Oceanic weapons. Well, the first one I made is for the Sea Creatures of the South Pacific swap, and should be arriving at it's new home soon. The Maori Maul. However, I will be making five more of them, for sale in the Marketplace. There will be a change, however, as they will have a carved hei with inlaid eyes in the pommel. I thought that from a weapons perspective, a spike would be good for close combat, but it just doesn't fit with the style. If you're interested before it heads to the Marketplace, feel free to send me a PM. They'll be quite reasonably priced.

They're approx 28" long, made from poplar and pine, hand finished with stain and wax, and accented with raffia that's been handmade into rope. I took a few swipes at foam with one, and although I wouldn't recommend it, I have to say it really would be nice as a close range weapon.

I'm working late tonight to finish a lamp or two. Hopefully I'll have photos of that soon. For now, more of the Maori Maul.

And to give you an idea of size...me doing my best Maori face. Or MDM, if you prefer.

Got some lamp components finished. Assembled and fireproofed. Nothing too exciting, just them drying.

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-03-19 17:54 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-20 08:37 am   Permalink

Your weapons look terrific. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-20 11:08 am   Permalink

That Maul turned out great, nice details!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Canvas
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-20 9:44 pm   Permalink

I love the idea of fictional weapons. Looks great!

View Profile of Canvas Send a personal message to Canvas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-21 10:37 pm   Permalink

Is the laser doing all the cutting/carving on these pieces?

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-22 10:27 am   Permalink

Kahaka: It's doing the designs, yes. Not the shaping, or the pommel. I'm working on getting back into woodcarving slowly, and have worked on totally hand carved weapons, but I'm not happy with them yet. BK left quite the impression on me when he was active, and that's a lot of talent to try to come close to. I spent my childhood carving wood with my grandfather, who started one of the oldest wood carving clubs in the country, who still don't have a website, or email, seven years after his passing. They're very old fashioned. So I'm still getting back into the swing of things.

Canvas: Thank you. Until I can do justice the original designs, I figured I'd come up with some of my own. Then, later, improve upon these. Building blocks, if you will.

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 2:33 pm   Permalink

So here's the first lamp to almost be finished to completion.

The idea struck me when I was visiting Forbidden Island for the first time. There's a section of the wall that's cut away, revealing lauhala matting. I absolutely love the effect, and wanted to incorporate it into a wooden lamp. After going to Smuggler's Cove, the idea of a rum crate seemed to be the perfect idea.

Fast forward to Tiki Oasis, and I see that at Tiki Diablo and Bosko's booth, there's a rum crate lamp. Not what I had in mind, but it's nice to know great minds think alike.

So, over the past few days, I've built my first crate lamp. It's not 100% complete, I'm waiting for the sockets to come in, but I'm very happy with it. Again, this is another item that I'll be offering for sale in the Marketplace, for anyone that's interested. Generally they have no finish to them, but I can do wax, satin varnish, or fireproofed. Here's the process on it, for those interested.

Step 1: Build a frame.

Step 2: Put wood on that frame.

Step 3: Cut holes in the wood, a la Forbidden Island.

Step 4: Burn.

Step 5: Remove char with stainless brush.

Step 6: Burn again

Step 7: Tapa!

So, there you have it. I'll post photos of it lit up when I receive the socket. It'll come with a 10ft chain, in black, for hanging. I'm close to being finished with my first lamp, and it's really nice to be woodworking again for my own purposes, instead of just work. Mahalo for looking!

Oh yeah, and I got to share a delicious batch of Painkillers with a near and dear friend from Baltimore.

And this is what a batch of 10 Painkillers looks like:

[ This Message was edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-03-25 14:35 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 3:12 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 3:23 pm   Permalink

AHAHAHAHA, thanks ATP!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 9:20 pm   Permalink

Lamp lookin Kool

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 04:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-30 17:00, tikilongbeach wrote:
Have you tried electroluminescent wire for any projects? Positives/negatives? I've been planning a volcano picture, but it doesn't seem that flowing EL wire comes in the volcano colors of red, yellow, white and orange.

Hey Tikilongbeach, I think someone just invented what you're looking for:
http://boingboing.net/2013/03/21/electroluminescent-paint-like.html

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation