FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 12:00 am   Permalink

The Hukilau absolutely rocked! Nothing in my wildest of dreams could have prepared me for the Mai-Kai! Christie, Swanky, Tristen & Bree outdid themselves - amazing planning! Kern, Kulani, Pia & Hazel of the Mai Kai all rock - thank you! Did anyone get to meet Kulani's mom? WOW - some amazing genes in that family - she is beautiful! I want to live there rent free – I’ll scrub floors all day and sleep in their beautiful garden all night! Make offers on the Farm now! Too much to write – I know all who attended will agree – the Mai-Kai is absolutely the epitome of Tiki!

But now onto the craziest roommate a guy could ever have for a weekend of debauchery, Bamboo Ben (aka my whacky bro Bennnnno)…

After being seemingly unawaken about 30 minutes into a deeply anticipated 3.5 hour partially mai-tai induced sleep with a giant yellow BAMBOO BEN sticker stuck to my head by Ben, Crazy Al, King Kukulele & another fellow (you know, the sticker that Ben placed on many a derrier... Ben opted again to do the sticking – the other fine fellows were supporting the act though – you maniacs!!) and prior to my departing a.m. flight back to So Cal. I jumped into action! I kept the eyes apparently closed and when Ben attempted a second time… FLYING KARATE KICK TO THE TORSO followed by fully vertical body slams onto a writhing Bamboo Ben! You think that would have been enough for the night…..NOOOO!!! Later that morning, around 5am, I was greeted by the eminent yet unsuccessful flash of the BAMBOO BEN camera with a smiling & sly Crazy Al in the background – yes the “disheveled mid-hangover nearly comatose photo”… but NO!!! Just as the flash was about to go off and from my 95% asleep body – KARATE KICK #2 – the camera went flying mid-flash!!! HY-YAH BEN!! NO MESS WITH ME!! Ben’s and Al’s astonishment did not surprise me – I AM THE GRASSHOPPER – all in a night’s work!

Now, I’ve got to figure out how to fill some backorders! Thank you DOT-LINE TRANSPORTATION for your GUARANTEED BY THURSDAY DELIVERY! You guys SUCK MAJORLY!!! The mugs will go out when Dot-Line returns them to me!

There were so many great people that I got to meet in person for the first time – I can’t name you all. Thanks for the great times and the ability to break away from “the trenches of tiki commerce” with so many a mai tai and so many a fond memory and a couple of nightmares thanks to Ben!

Holden

[ This Message was edited by: smogbreather on 2003-07-01 00:10 ]

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 12:21 am   Permalink

Monday night, just got home...connecting flight from Atlanta cancelled due to tropical storm, no flights out until Tuesday night, rented a car with strangers from Baton Rouge, and drove home in wretched weather with two great new friends.

I think the only disappointing thing about this weekend is that it had to end.

Swanky, Kiliki, Tiki Bree, and Tristan, I can't think of a way to say thank you adequately. What a blast!

Hoiti Toitis, I adore each and every one of you - Doctor Z and Z Girl, Traderpup (you are a real sweetie!), Al and Shelley (quite possibly the most fun chick on the planet), Bamboo Ben, Crazy Al, King Kuke, you guys just leave me breathless.

Isn't this true, ladies? Five minutes with Gecko is like the steamiest page out of the kind of novel you read with a box of chocolates! *swoon*

Wild boys of Jawja and their fabulous wahines, GET THAT BAR OPEN SOON!

Inky Louise (easily first runner-up for most fun chick on the planet), thanks for sharing your Mystery Bowl with me.

Famous Mr. Smiley and the voluptuous Tiki Vixen (whose pictures do not come close to revealing exactly how foxy this vixen really is), thanks for the engaging conversation.

JTD, good craic!

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade on 2003-11-05 14:59 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiccino

Posted: 2003-07-01 2:32 pm   Permalink

After a long, wild Hukilau weekend I am officially hooked into the world of tikidom. I have fought against e-forums for years and now that I have met so many of you I am sucked in and cannot stay away. It is pretty tough getting back into work mode today because now that I am registered with TC I of course have to go back and check out some of the old posts. Putting names and faces together makes it a lot more fun.

With "Halé Tiki" opening in Augusta this fall, I am holding those of you who said you would be here for the Grand Opening accountable.

Dave, Heather, Brad and myself (Julee) had an absolute blast and re-hashed the whole weekend over and over on our our 12 hour drive back to GA.

Kava King (and Queen) in a couple of weeks (after financial recovery) we will all have to reunite at Trader Vic's once again.

Great time, Great People! Don't miss Hukilau 2004!!!

View Profile of Tikiccino Send a personal message to Tikiccino  Email Tikiccino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 3:06 pm   Permalink

Tikibob wrote:
Quote:
The weekend was really great. The thing that struck me during the weekend is what great friendships we all have experienced because of our love of tiki. I get the warmest feelings from you guys. There is just an indescribable happiness that I get inside when I talk with the people that I have met through our common interest. I don't get that anywhere else.

Couldn't have put it better myself!! Tikibob, fabled optometrist of Tiki, you are the greatest. It was such a pleasure to meet so many of you I've only briefly encountered or never met at all! Purple Jade, you are a gorgeous vixen yourself and I so hope we can talk again soon! Email me anytime! Vern, when you make it to the West Coast, don't forget to call! Basement Kahuna, your love of explosives and your charming accent makes you a favorite TCer of mine. Inky, I'm so sorry we didn't get a chance to talk...maybe in Chicago?! Shelly, you are the belle of the ball. I am always so happy to see you! And Al, I will come to San Diego to visit you two soon! really! I can't wait to experience your place. Just tell me which rum to bring...Traderpup, I am privileged to have witnessed the Mystery Girl moment. You blushed, I do declare! SCD, I didn't see nearly enough of you, but of course you were there!! How could I ever have doubted? (Floratina and Poly Pop, did you really NOT GO??? I'm amazed.) Humu...we must dish some more, and soon! You are a bombshell, doll! It was great to see you having such a blast...Kiliki and Swanky, I love you guys. I'm very happy to have met you. You did the most amazing job...Next time you head out this way, you have about twelve places to stay, remember!!! Doctor and Z-Girl, always a pleasure--can't wait to see you both again. GECKO, I'm sorry we didn't get to talk MORE! Another time, I hope...Ben, next time I am down south, wild horses couldn't keep me from your store!!! I was so disappointed not to meet Mrs. B, though...wah. Bre'elle and Tristan, thanks so much for your warmth and hospitality (woof!). James, I'm not accepting any more drinks from you! But I would road trip with you anyday, anywhere! I also have a newspaper clipping for your that'll blow your mind. Did you keep the Toad??? Be careful...it might be cursed! ooOOooh. King Kook, you were delightful as always and it was a nice change to actually chat with you, too! Um, and that dance was, er, memorable!!! Showing your shorts in public, I'm shocked...Holden, I hear the *best* things about you! Wow! And Casey...can't wait for the Oasis! Last but not least, the inimitable Mr Smiley...of course I am proud to be friends with such a famous guy!!!

I'm rambling. I also have pictures which I will post to Shutterfly as soon as I can stop trying to catch up on weeerrrkkkk, ugh.

The Mai Kai is Heaven, that's all. It just is. Thanks to everyone there who helped make this such a magical and perfect weekend!

Tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-01 3:06 pm   Permalink

Too much fun……I am still trying to get my head back in the game here at work………work sucks………..everything sucks compared to the Hukilau……and the Mai Kai………So many friends………too many drinks…………..too much fun………not enough time.

View Profile of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Send a personal message to Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens  Email Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens Goto the website of Brad 'The Beachcomber' Owens     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 5:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the nice comments Vixen AND the Who's Who Round-up.

I loved spending some time getting to know Vixen and Smiley on our trek to the French Cuban restaurant in Little Havana, the Monkey Jungle (which we did not have time for -- so lay off C'Al!) and the Coral Castle.

The only glitch was the part where Mr. Smiley had us, along with Vern, sequestered and forced us to listen to his Scary-O-Key CD. MacArthur's park -- Oh brother!

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 6:03 pm   Permalink

"**DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL**
Tiki Events: Hukilau 2003 Report
Posted by tikibob on 2003-07-01 17:15
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only glitch was the part where Mr. Smiley had us, along with Vern,
sequestered and forced us to listen to his Scary-O-Key CD. MacArthur's
park -- Oh brother"
hey I heard you and Vern SINGING ALONG!!!
My singiong is almost as famous as I am. ALWAYS trust what I say!

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 6:07 pm   Permalink

I got the Royal Treatment at the Mai-Kai. I fact, even the bathroom attendant said to me "buddy, the next one is on me". So a half hour later, I went into the men's room and preceded to pee on his shoes.
He yelled at me and I said "I thought you said it was on 'you' and now it is!" . Boy was I EMBARRASSED when I found out that was not what he meant!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 6:50 pm   Permalink

"Too much fun……I am still trying to get my head back in the game here at
work………work sucks………..everything sucks compared to the Hukilau……and the
Mai Kai………So many friends………too many drinks…………..too much fun………not
enough time"
yUP- I know what you mean. I am suffering from a "brain" hangover do to too many stimuli. So much to check out-not enough time to do it!!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 8:12 pm   Permalink

Here's some pics...I'll narrate! First we have the Mai Kai sign...I deliberately cropped this pic so that those poor unwashed saps that have never been can be as breathtaken as we were at the scene that unfolds... Next we have one of the greatest, wisest, and most wonderful guys on earth...Pasifeka, who is a full blooded Samoan and whose son was one of our fabulous 12th floor room vendors at the Holiday Inn (Afa Tasi Polynesian Beachwear). Pasifeka was the hit of the floor and perhaps the whole vendor setup...he brought about 150 fresh coconuts which he would cut into a drink vessel right before your eyes and pop in a straw so you could drink the fresh coconut milk inside..his skill with a knife is amazing, as well it should be..he was one of the principle Samoaon fire and knife dancers in the Mai Kai show for almost 20 years. Here is Pasifeka holding one of my Akatara weapons during the vendor day (what a blast it was) And here is Pasifeka in action (back of picture) in the Mai Kai show in 1975 A few of the amazing variety of vintage Hawaiian dresses and Aloha shirts available on vendor day.. Here we have the darkened view facing the indoor portion of the tropical gardens while sipping our Zombies and Black Magics through the window of the back booth at the Molokai bar (an unbelieveable part of the Mai Kai which is basically the stateroom of a 16th century Portugese Galleon complete with cascading tropical rainstorms and ropes and riggings salvaged from the set of "Mutiny on the Bounty!). Next a few pictures of us and friends in the indoor garden. This doesn't even scratch the surface of the total gardens at the Mai Kai which 2 full-time gardeners work year round to care for.. BK and wahine Heather And us with Brad's Wahine Tikkicino (I think whoever we asked to take these was hammered)... And we are seated, and pampered with unbelieveably good food, and the drums beat, and the conchs sound, and the show begins...the rumble and din of the opening number reverberates around the resturaunt menacingly.... Our Emcee, who himself was one of the original Mai Kai fire dancers, and whose son is a current fire dancer. The Maori portion of the show...this one had meaning to me as I have always wished to go to New Zealand and study their carvings and culture up close.. You'll never get past this guy with a TiaHia! Fire Knife dancers...this is a skill which these guys literally inherit from a very young age and is stunningly dazzling and very dangerous and precise as one slip could spell serious injury to the dancers or audience.... Gecko and Kahuna finally meet and enjoy the Mystery Drink during the show.. That's all I'll show of the Mai Kai...There is a very good reason the Tiki Bar Review Pages suggest you go to every other tiki establishment in America before you go there...it is because anything else is a letdown after the Mai Kai. It is simply UNBELIEVEABLE. This event was just the tops! A toast...to Hukilau 2003 and all who made it possible!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-07-01 23:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-07-02 09:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna 2006-05-10 12:47 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Belikin

Posted: 2003-07-01 8:33 pm   Permalink

OK! You guys have done it now. Tikiccino took the words right out of my mouth...I am hooked. I have actually been a sometime lurker here (or just looking over Basement Kahuna's shoulder) but now have been tossed head first into the greatest group of people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Thank you for that.

But first I would like to thank the academy.....and of course the inspiration for my success...Gecko (In the words of Purple Jade...***SWOON***)

In all seriousness, I have never had such a good time with such great people. We partied and laughed like never before. Nothing could ever compare. Hope to see you all again soon.

View Profile of Belikin Send a personal message to Belikin  Email Belikin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-01 10:31 pm   Permalink

WOW! Looks and sounds like the Mai Kai is betta' din anyting Cali has to offa. Tanks for da' pics.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
powerofthetiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 08:31 am   Permalink

What can I say that has not all ready been said? First and for most I would like to thank Swanky, Kiliki, Tiki Bree, and Tristan for a fantastic time. You guys know how to throw a party. Check in and registration went smooth as did Friday and Saturday night.

It was also nice to put a face to a name Bamboo Ben, Holden, Doctor Z and Z Girl, Tikibob, Brad The Beachcomber, Basement Kahuna, and many more.

For anyone how could not make it be sure to start to save your penny’s for next year This is one event you don’t want to miss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

View Profile of powerofthetiki Send a personal message to powerofthetiki  Email powerofthetiki Goto the website of powerofthetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 10:07 am   Permalink

This event was "Over the Top!" I have so many memories that I'm having a very hard time (yes, I'm serious) to put em' down. I met so many "Ultra Cool People" it has put me in a "State of Awe"! The Mai Kai is Heaven! (nothing can even come close in my book) The "Light at the end of the the Tunnel"! I just had to say something. Total loss of words! Incredible weekend!!! Incredible Event!!! Incredible People!!! Incredible memories that will last a lifetime!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 10:39 am   Permalink

Mahaloz plenny to Swanky, Kiliki, Tristan and Bri-elle, PT-Tiki, the Mai Kai and all the vendors. (especially those Kreepy Tiki guys!) I can't really add anything more than what's already been said.... oh yeah I can add one thing!

HERE'S THE BEST $20 I SPENT ALL WEEKEND!

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation