FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 12:22 pm   Permalink

Mahaloz for da great time on da mainland! I was very bizzy in Cali and didn't get to do everyting dat i wanted but I'll get'um next time. Da Mai Kai was beautiful! I can't even explain it in words. I don't want to leave out any names so HOWZIT to all da TC members i met on da mainland. It was a pleasure talking story, sharing drinks, or jus a simple hello with you guys. You guys were great!

Mahaloz for da great so called work vacation!

Aloha!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-01 15:06, tikivixen wrote:
Did you keep the Toad??? Be careful...it might be cursed! ooOOooh.

I kept the toad.

The whole way back, it was on my dashboard.

I stopped at Bahi Hut in Sarasota, both Tiki Bars in Louisville (listed briefly in TRT... now that I've been to them in person my advice is: avoid them both at all costs), and the remnants of a now-closed Tiki bar in Clarksville, KY. So... you could say the trip home was a 'Tiki Toad Trip'.
Just shoot me now.

My photos from the Hukilau are now posted to Tiki Bar Review Pages at
http://www.tydirium.net

Here are a few...

...and my travelogue for the road trip to and from Florida (including detailed Hukilau recollections... or what recollections I have, anyway) should be posted to the main page of tydirium.net by next week. The travelogue from my trip to Mondo Tiki and the west coast will finally be posted later today for those who care, on tydirium.net's main page.

James Teitelbaum
webmaster: Tiki Bar Review Pages
author: Tiki Road Trip
creator: Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-07-03 14:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2003-07-03 14:47 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Tiki

Posted: 2003-07-02 3:55 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to get my thank you in to everyone involved in planning, especially Swanky and Kiliki who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time. Krissy and I had a blast!

We met so many people and had such a great time that leaving Sunday morning was nearly impossible. The Mai Kai is even better the second time around and when it's filled to the brim with people who love and appreciate every inch of it. I can't say enough.

My only regret was not being able to talk to Basement Kahuna more, with both of us being Georgia boys. I wanted to get all of the dirt on the Georgia Flea Market scene (considering you have found more in a week than I own from 3 years of collecting!!) You were in the middle of an in depth conversation though and I didn't want to interupt. In fact, I think you were talking about a name for Brad the Beachcomber's upcoming bar, which is decidedly more important!! We should meet at TV's nextime you're in Atlanta.

Anyway, this past weekend goes down in the book as one of the best times I've ever had. It's only been a few days since the event and I am already counting the days until next year!!

Matt

View Profile of Matt Tiki Send a personal message to Matt Tiki  Email Matt Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Tiki

Posted: 2003-07-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

I forgot that I had pictures... as soon as I figure out how to get them off of Shutterfly I'll put them up.

Matt

[ This Message was edited by: Matt Tiki on 2003-07-02 16:19 ]

View Profile of Matt Tiki Send a personal message to Matt Tiki  Email Matt Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
voodootiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-02 4:23 pm   Permalink

Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved in the planning for Hukilau 2003! You guys did an amazing job! This was my first "Tiki Event" and it was awesome! Can't wait for next year! It was a long drive all the way from Chicago....but it was worth every mile! Looking forward to seeing you all at Exotica here in Chicago!

Steve

View Profile of voodootiki Send a personal message to voodootiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-02 8:29 pm   Permalink

I have started on the pictures page on the site. It's a long way from done, but you can look at about half of our pictures now. I hope to get all we have so far up there this weekend.

I have not had time to do the individual pages for the images, so for now, the descriptions come when you hold the mouse over the thumbnails.
Picture page here

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2003-07-02 20:30 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 10:49 am   Permalink

Ok, I got my shutterfly album done CLICK HERE

Mrs. Mug and myself had a fantastic time, meeting everyone on and off the list. (TC is definitely a huge colletion of cool people)

Next event we should have an Offical TC pre-mixer, so we can all meet each other, my only regret is not meeting everyone from TC

[ This Message was edited by: tikimug on 2003-07-03 10:51 ]

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 11:19 am   Permalink

Well, mug, if it means anything, Basement Kahuna and Brad The Beachcomber are willing to invoke upon you honorary status in the Dirty South Tiki Association...(We come with our own haberdasher and Mai Kai, Trader Vics, and Omni Hut within handy driving distance)

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 1:05 pm   Permalink

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 1:22 pm   Permalink

BK, that would mean alot to me. I just want to belong... somewhere Can I get a fez?

Tweed, that's excellent! I was thinking about Photoshop-ing that pic the same way after I wrote the description... You did a great job!

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
151 proof
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-03 2:28 pm   Permalink

what a freakin' cool event that was.I'm so stoked for next years show. unfortunately all I was able to afford this time was an evil hangover!! I got to meet some of you guys and gals and you all are really nice peoples. gotta say whut's up to Basement Kahuna for the awesome weapons you had dude, maybe one day!!.Bamboo ben, cool meeting you and Crazy al,Wayne coombs is a freakin' giant I didnt know he was that friggin' BIG, almost pulled my hand outta place!! Kreepy Tiki!! what the hell? you guys are taking this tiki art to the next level. Jaksin it was really cool talking to you .I got to get either that small bloody tiki, or the big azz one with the skull head.maybe next time.Joe Vitale and his wife Jonella (hope I got it right) you guys art simply rocks!! finally Kiliki &Swanky thanks for all youre work and everyone I forgot to mention please excuse me I was having a great time and was incredibly drunk when we met. mahalo to all. 151 proof

View Profile of 151 proof Send a personal message to 151 proof      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Tweed, that's excellent! I was thinking about Photoshop-ing that pic the same way after I wrote the description... You did a great job!

I live to serve. BTW, the font is called "Indian Hotel" in case anybody's interested in that kinda thang.

Lotsa neat parody fonts here:

http://www.fontface.com/fonts/i.html

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 2:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]Joe Vitale and his wife Jonella (hope I got it right)

Almost got it right 151...Joe's wife is "Donella".

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-02 16:23, voodootiki wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved in the planning for Hukilau 2003! You guys did an amazing job! This was my first "Tiki Event" and it was awesome! Can't wait for next year! It was a long drive all the way from Chicago....but it was worth every mile! Looking forward to seeing you all at Exotica here in Chicago!

Steve

Steve!

It was awesome that you guys made the trip to Flah - most of the Chicago crew punked out on us, and aside from Nels and I, it didn't look like there was going to be much of a showing from the home of the NEXT big Tiki blow-out... did you see the world's biggest peanut by the highway in Georgia? Wot a hoot. Forget planes - road trips are the way to go!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-03 3:39 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to thank everyone who made the trek out to the Hukilau ’03. The event was epic and you are all part of my very dear Tiki Ohana!

Thanks to Swanky & Kaliki, you GLOW girl, think pink! Bre-elle and Tristan, you are both so hot! Otto, Doe, and Vander, (what a heart-breaker!) Thanks to my new best friend Wayne Coombs and artists Derek and Rain. Casey, say “Ciao” to Charlie for me! I Belli Di Waikiki sailor boys, I love you guys! Kern, the Mai Kai is Tiki Mecca! You are so on top of your game, so would you please come down from the bar now? Pia, my husband is available to you at any time and thanks for letting me use your office as a dressing room, I felt so famous! Vixen & Bruce it was fun, Tiki Bob you are my Eye Doctor Candy Man!

Also, it was so ono to meet all the cool TC peepoze for the first time! Inky, please warn me the next time you need a third for a threesome! Purple Jade, if you ain’t my cousin then you must be my sister! “Yee haw!” Basement & Heather, Brad & Julee what a crew! May the South Rise again! Mr. & Mrs. Tiki Mug it was such a pleasure, great pics too! AFA TASI & Papa Oceanside welcomes you! Vern I’d wait in line with you anytime! James T. I’m sorry if I stepped on your head! And the cool guy that gave me the Kahiki postcard of the Mystery Girl! Wow!!!

Nice showing Hoity Toities! It was so good to see you all out in force. Bamboo Ben, I hear we are in big trouble! (I don’t know it was just something Denny said!) Crazy Al, you look so pretty with your hair all spread out on a pillow. (Yeah, I was talking to YOU this time!) Tiki Farmer sorry about the shipping drought! May your fields of Tikis continue to flourish in great abundance! Pup, nice new Tiki ink, you brave man you! Your efforts on the nametags are always appreciated as well as coveted! Sugar Caddy Daddy, Al says it must be the fifty-dollar haircut! How do you do it, Man? Dr. Z & Z Girl, thanks for helping me get my ice cream fix! King K, thanks for letting me crash your show. I promise to rehearse more in the future and learn the &*%#ing lyrics!

To honorary Toities… Hummu & Gecko, you are too close to us all not to be part of the Ohana! Last of all, Gecko… You have stolen my heart like all the rest. I too, am NOT IMMUNE to the SWOON!

My Ode to Hukilau ’03…

The Hukilau ’03 Song

Oh, we went to the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody wants to go to the Hukilau,
And we’ve had a Gecko in our house for at least a week now.
We packed up our Tikis,
And drove away from the clouds,
How it all fit into the car, we will never know how,
Off to Long Beach, to the Hukilau, the HHHHHL!

We can’t believe we’re going to the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
We hope everybody’s at the Hukilau,
Hoity Toities represent TC from So. Cal.
As we walked into the airport,
Well, who should we see, but Holden, Bamboo Ben and Mrs. B?
So drinks flow at the, at the Cockpit Lounge,
Here we come, HHHL!

We started flying to the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Nobody slept on the plane now,
Even rum and pills couldn’t help us now!
The flight was quick,
We didn’t spend too much loot,
Even when Ben lost the bag, with his bamboo suit.
We’re on our way now to the Hukilau, the HHHHL!

Oh we’re arriving in Lauderdale,
For the HHHHHL.
Tiki, bless the guys at the Holiday Day Inn,
They let us check in at 7:00 am.
Basement and his crew revive us with rum,
Man, this is starting to get really fun!
Meeting new peeps now at the Huiklau, the HHHHL!

It’s only Thursday at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody previewed the Mai Kai,
At the ‘meet and greet’ no one was too shy.
All the Tikis that they have there really blew our minds,
Kern, Kulani, and Pia are really da kine!
Trying a few drinks now at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Oh we’re kicking off the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Mr. Bamboo trys a Shark Bite,
And anything he wants for twelve dollars, that’s right!
The King’s in the Molokai,
strummin’ his uke,
He jams with the local boyz,
But he’s still a kook!
Let’s try another drink now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL!

Now we’re swimming at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody is feelin’ real chipper,
And the Yankee Clipper’s Wreck Bar has never been hipper!
When Al and Shell crashed the Wreck’s pool,
Seeing his black undies really made her drool,
Al and Shell are bathing beauties now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Oh we’re all drunk now at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Pup and Gecko searched the Hukilau,
For the Hoity Toities who had missed them somehow!
Then Crazy Al moves in, so Gecko gets the floor,
“Hey, Shelley, go to sleep it’s way after four!”
We rage on now at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

So it’s Friday at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody is gearing up now.
Holden’s mugs are late and he’s having a cow!
All the Tiki kids can’t wait until six,
So they can stand in line and pick up a slip,
Shop on and on now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

It’s time to dance now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Wayne Coomb’s Ballroom is the scene now,
Those Delusionaires really rocked the house.
I Belli Di Waikiki’s set was so trick,
And the King told the audience that he shit a brick.
Party on now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

The show’s not over now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
While Tiki Bob’s bar held an all nighter,
Down on the beach they were taking turns with the lighter.
Basement and Belli boys making fireworks fly,
It’s a good thing that nobody lost a leg or an eye.
Blow it up now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Its swap meet time now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Cool collector crap on the twelfth floor,
Where the vendors let the shoppers feel free to explore,
AFA TASI is there slicing coconuts,
You can come on in until my door shuts,
Buy it up now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Its Mai Kai time now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody’s in the Molokai Bar,
Where the Mystery girls are never too far,
Oh my Tiki Gods, the time is finally here,
The King’s in the bar and it’s perfectly clear,
It’s paradise now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

It’s time to sit down, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody’s in the show room,
Where the island drums are beginning to boom.
WHAT? I’m sitting with the VIPs?
Is this really happening to me? Oh, Thank-you Kaliki!
Having ono grinds now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

It’s ShowTime now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Everybody’s watching the wahines dance,
Where their lovely hula hips will put you in a trance,
Holden’s on stage, who would have guessed?
He’s shaking his okohole, mo’ bettah than the rest!
It’s the Islander Revue now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Time to raise some funds now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Auctioneer Denny calls the bids out,
And the Tiki bidders raise their hands and shout,
Sold is Rain’s print, and Derek’s, too,
And a Hukilau bar made by Mr. Bamboo!
They’re makin’ bucks now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

Time for the big moment now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
The Mystery boy is getting psyched now,
He’s got the sensual gyrations that make us say, “Wow!”
And now for something you’d never expect to see,
Sharing a chair & more are Shell and Inky Louise,
It’s seduction time now, at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

It’s check out time now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Nobody wants to leave now,
Because at the Hukilau, we’ve had more fun that we ever knew how,
So let’s kidnap Denny and take him down to the Keys,
The only time we got lost was when the King had to pee.
It’s Key West road trip time now at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

It’s the Sunset Celebration time now, at the Hukilau,
The HHHHHL.
Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al rented a convertible Mustang,
Man, did they ever look like Crockett & Tubbs in that thang,
Then we meet up with the lovely Inky Louise,
The fun just never ends for the Hoity Toities,
We’re at Sloppy Joe’s now at the Hukilau, the HHHHL.

- Pearly Shell 7/3/03

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation