FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 2:31 pm   Permalink

Although Wahine Marian and I were only able to fly in for the Hukilau party at the hotel on Friday (we left at 4 am from Baltimore) and had to jet back to the same city early the next day -- we still had a great time meeting some of you infamous west coast tiki people, and sharing Aloha with some of our "old" tiki friends from Florida and Hukilau 2002.
We have to extend a massive mahalo to Ken-tiki and Ariel Setzer for picking us up at the airport, driving us to the party and getting us back to the airport the next morning. They are the best Ohana anyone could have...
Also, it was great to be greeted on arrival on the streets of Ft. Lauderdale by Chris Holland, ushered into the hotel by Alnshely, welcomed with a big hugs from Christie and Bre-elle, get a hearty (if panicy) hello and handshake from Tristan -- who had just lost electricity-- and recieve that quiet yet strangely cool acknowledgement Swanky does as his counterpoint to the needless displays of personal warmth and enthusiasm expressed by others.
I really can't remember everyone we danced and drank with -- or the last third of the evening for that matter -- but dancing with Becki Coombs was a treat, as was dancing with Bree in all of her Hiva finery, and watching Marian dance with Crazy Al and Wayne Coombs at the same time was pretty damn frightening for me, but fun for her.
We're so glad we also got to meet Holden, Bamboo Ben, Otto, and Gecko and to have finally met our neighbor, Rain. Also, good to see Vern from DC, Themuggler and Mrsmuggler again. And, to watch and listen to King Denny do his thing.
Sorry we didn't get to meet, or least were too high to remember to have met, Basement Kahuna, JT, thejab, mrsmiley and others we wanted to groove with, but there's always next year, when we promise to make the entire weekend or quit our jobs.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-07-07 14:36 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-07 4:35 pm   Permalink

Dammitall, KG, I missed meeting you!
(Or did I? Parts of Friday night are still nebulous.)

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MeanLittleDevil
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-08 1:50 pm   Permalink

It was pretty rockin' having all you classy sassy hip shakin tiki fiends down in our neck of the woods! Fort Lauderale hasnt seen that kind of excitement for a LONG time and i am NOT holding my breath for such a good time here until Hukilau 2004. I never thought that we could possibly have more fun at the Mai Kai than we do every WEEK there but you guys rocked off the roof. Kiliki - you are an ANGEL with Devil's style...and Swanky, the name speaks for itself and a WHOLE lot more. Cant wait to see you all again next year.
Until then...

...I'll be toasting my Pina Passions to ya'll in the Molokai Bar counting down the days til the tikis will be honored again!

(P.S. YES "Tiki" Jaksin, I know I'm a nerd leave me alone)

View Profile of MeanLittleDevil Send a personal message to MeanLittleDevil  Email MeanLittleDevil     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-08 11:00 pm   Permalink

I wanted to chime in also and say thanks to Swanky, Kiliki, Bre-elle, Tristan, and all the others involved who make the Hukilau 2003 so much fun. It was great to meet so many of you west-coasters, nice to see familiar faces from past grand parties, some new faces, and good to share the festivities with a few others from the DC/Baltimore area.

I think we need a Hukilau high-school like yearbook, then we could all write our little comments of thanks to the individuals we had met individually and shared good times with.

I will share some of my favorite photos from the Hukilau event later this week.

I decided to stretch my vacation to a 12 day Florida vacation, and Hukilau was a great way to start the trip. I did make it to Key West afterwards, and probably walked right by Sloppy Joes while Al, Shelley, Al, Ben, and the others were partying inside. I ended up having sidecar martinis at a neat lounge singer place called Virgilio's a few blocks up the street - highly recommended. I did the very un-tiki thing of walking into Jimmy Buffet's souvenir store on Duvall store - and am pleased to announce that I saw no traces of tikis whatsoever in that store, so perhaps the fears of the future dumbing down of the tiki spirit are a bit premature.

I was also able to visit Butterfly World, the BOK Tower, Hemingway's home, Caribbean Gardens, see the live mermaid show at Weeki Wachee Springs, the glass bottom boats of Silver Springs (where the Creature from the Black Lagoon was filmed), and there were small touches of tiki at many of these places. I spent the fourth of July in Orlando - not by doing Disney, but by hitting the thrifts and ending up at the Bamboo Lounge.

I'm exhausted .... but it was a great 12 days, and once again, thanks to everyone for making those first days of Hukilau activity so much fun.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-08 11:17 pm   Permalink

"mean little devil" you are a kool nerd nondaless..G.B.H and da Circle Jerks will destroy Ft.lauderdale tamorrow night hope to see ya dare..Jak+Sin= Tiki thuggery worldwide

Kreepytiki

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 11:15 am   Permalink

Damn...G.B.H.? Last I remember them playing nearby it was the Metroplex in Atlanta...That's been a while. I love G.B.H. I saw the Circle Jerks, the Necros, and Bedlam Hour at Rockefella's in Columbia back in 1986...Great show. Saw Black Flag there, too..think it was the "Loose Nut" tour!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MeanLittleDevil
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-09 2:06 pm   Permalink

How is it that I always sound like a MORON in print?

Here is the link to the article in our local entertainemnt paper about the Hukilau:

http://www.citylinkonline.com/coverstory.html

View Profile of MeanLittleDevil Send a personal message to MeanLittleDevil  Email MeanLittleDevil     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-09 14:06, MeanLittleDevil wrote:
How is it that I always sound like a MORON in print?

You didn't sound moronic at all and at least you made it into print. This reporter kept me on the phone for over an hour one night answering all kinds of ridiculous questions, like "when you tiki people get together do you wear Hawaiian shirts and get drunk?"
Duh.

Regardless, I think he did a great job uncovering alot of Mai-Kai history. I wonder if he stole some of the thunder of the person that is writing the Mai-Kai book? Anyone we know?

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-07-09 15:14 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-09 3:44 pm   Permalink

Jean is a long time friend of the Thornton family. He's not a member of Tiki Central. He's actually pretty old fashioned and doesn't even have a computer. Also, he's a great guy and dancer! Art interviewed him for several hours too so I'm sure he's ok with anything in the article. I'm sure there are plenty of stories that he's holding back for the book!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-07-09 8:37 pm   Permalink

That is a great City Link article, and the upcoming Mai Kai book is certainly something to look forward to.

Meanwhile, here are a few of my favorite pictures I took from the Hukilau weekend .... enjoy!

1. Tiki Kiliki all aglow, perhaps because of her proximity to the tiki? or the result of the camera flash and the misting system? a combination of both?

2. Tiki Kiliki singing with King Kukulele, with harmonies that put even Crazy Al into a rare meditative mode.

3. Bre-ele and Shely showing their hula moves.

4. Mai Kai Serving Girl, with Mystery Drink Bowl and Tiki

5. James, seduced by the mermaid/drink mural at the Yankee Clipper Wreck Bar.

6. Holden admiring Al's tiki coffee mug .... what are you drinking, Al?

7. Later that evening, the same Al, swimming in the pool behind the Yankee Clipper bar windows. Al was joined shortly afterwards by Shely - both are considering career changes to become Weeki Wachee mermaids.

8. Myself, one week after Hukilau, kissing a great monkey tiki carving at Silver Springs.

There are many more, but these were my favorites!

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2003-07-09 20:40 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-10 12:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha Kailuageoff!

You and Wahine Marian are MORE than welcome any time in the Hala Kentiki! Next time, it's gotta be for longer (and hopefully the place will have a cove and lagoon by then ; )

Nothin like seeing Miami Int'l at 7:00am thru hungover eyes, huh? HEE HEE

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-10 12:28 pm   Permalink

yeah ,I agree w/ Mean Lil' Devil when what you say and what's printed out is kinda different .still I think Art levine, did a good job on covering the event, and I give em mad props for the exposure he gave the Hukilau and for coming out to ma place, and Taking his time to interview 4 drunk kids in the middle of the afternoon in the hot Miami sun. but, please note that I'm not the Kreepy Tiki Collective "leader" we all work equally as hard ,and it just would not be fair to Loon,P.G.(ma sis) ,Josh C.,Beon.for me not to say this. Jaksin (tiki maker by day ,Super Hero by night)

Kreepytiki

View Profile of tikijaksin Send a personal message to tikijaksin  Email tikijaksin Goto the website of tikijaksin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ArtLevine

Posted: 2003-07-10 2:28 pm   Permalink

Hukilau fans; check out my article on the event at www.Citylinkmagazine.com (I also posted this as a separate topic posting; I'm new to using this site, so pardon the redundancy.) The organizers liked it, and so will you, I expect. See you next year at the Mai-Kai. Sincerely, Art

View Profile of ArtLevine Send a personal message to ArtLevine  Email ArtLevine Goto the website of ArtLevine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijaksin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-10 8:00 pm   Permalink

by the way god bless that Mystery Tiki girl

Kreepytiki

Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-13 05:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-10 12:18, Kentiki wrote:
Aloha Kailuageoff!

You and Wahine Marian are MORE than welcome any time in the Hala Kentiki!

Huge thanks to you, my dear, for getting Geoff and Marian to the Friday night bash. It wouldn't have been the same without them.

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation