FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau 2003 Report
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hukilau 2003 Report
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-14 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-07-09 20:37, ikitnrev wrote:
1. Tiki Kiliki all aglow
4. Mai Kai Serving Girl, with Mystery Drink Bowl and Tiki
5. James, seduced by the mermaid/drink mural at the Yankee Clipper Wreck Bar.
7. Later that evening, the same Al, swimming in the pool behind the Yankee Clipper bar windows. Al was joined shortly afterwards by Shely - both are considering career changes to become Weeki Wachee mermaids.

1. This pic is too cool, Vern! Christie, you look like a Tiki angel.

4. Sigh.

5. Oh, man, oh man, I forgot all about you taking this picture. I wonder what sort of other blackmail material is floating around out there?
Note to self: don't pose for goofy pictures while drunk!

7. Even though this occurred on Thursday night, it was one of the funniest parts of the weekend. This silliness was hard to beat, it set the bar for nutty behavior pretty high for Friday and Saturday. Kukulele's Mystery-Dance for Shelley and Inky might have come close... Why are Al n' Shelley always at the epicenter of insanity? Bless their hearts.

Nice pix Vern, thanks for sharing.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
powerofthetiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 4:39 pm   Permalink

I see from the Hukilau web site that it will be held in September 2004 at the Mai Kai
Fort Lauderdale, FL., any reason for the move from June.

Just wondering

powerofthetiki
http://www.marylanddctiki.com
http://marylanddctiki.proboards2.com/index.cgi

View Profile of powerofthetiki Send a personal message to powerofthetiki  Email powerofthetiki Goto the website of powerofthetiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 8:07 pm   Permalink

September is the slowest season in Lauderdale. It will allow us to deal with the hotel, etc. for the best deals. They will give us more space for free to get our large group in there. We hope we'll be able to have a large air conditioned room for vendors, lower rates, and such. Air fare may be lower at that time too. And the temperature is warmer then than June and the rainfall average is 2 inches less. Bottom line, more for less. AND, it moves us several months away from Tiki Oasis in May.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 8:19 pm   Permalink

The only downfall to having the Hukilau in September, is that we now have to wait for over a year to the next one!

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 10:01 pm   Permalink

yeah, that's kind of depressing.
good rationale for the whole thing, though.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-15 10:12 pm   Permalink

While I'm not a fan of waiting for OVER a year now. I can say one thing that's for sure... Swanky and Kiliki (and co.) sure know what they are doing when it comes to throwing a party. So I will HAVE to just wait... and accept it. I am ok with it.

View Profile of tikimug Send a personal message to tikimug  Email tikimug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pomaika i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 06:12 am   Permalink

The weather down here is much nicer in September. I'm going to try to go back to Mai Kai in December for my birthday.

View Profile of Pomaika i Send a personal message to Pomaika i      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 10:02 am   Permalink

Wait until you see what we can cook up in these 14 months! If all these plans can be made reality!!!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MeanLittleDevil
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-07-16 12:13 pm   Permalink

If ya'll need any help here on this side of the world over the next 14 months, please dont hesitate to ask! I have nothing more important to do here than dedicate my time in the name of a damn good party =)

View Profile of MeanLittleDevil Send a personal message to MeanLittleDevil  Email MeanLittleDevil     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 5:07 pm   Permalink

Will we be sticking with the Holiday Inn, or trying out another beach front hotel?

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 7:07 pm   Permalink

We are trying others. We liked the locale, but there were problems. We especially need a place where we have "convention" space. Gotta be on the beach. Gotta be nice. Gotta be big enough. Gotta have a space to set the vendors up once and lock it up at night. ALL the vendors. Etc...

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-16 7:31 pm   Permalink

I always thought it would be damn cool to party in the Polynesian Room of the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, even though Tristan said they were not real cooperative when approached. The room's not decorated Polynesian anymore, but I bet we could raise the tiki spirits in the space and catch a good vibe.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-07-16 19:32 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 06:49 am   Permalink

it's not on the beach, but have youse looked into the Tropirock? it's about 1 block south and 1 block off the beach from the holiday inn, and it is SUPER SUPER cool - two of our friends that came to hukilau stayed there, and we got a little tour from the owner.

probably too small for hukilau, but worth noting for any solo/small-group mai kai pilgrims.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 08:00 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-07-16 19:07, Swanky wrote:
We are trying others. We liked the locale, but there were problems.

----------
Faster elevators???? (my only complaint. the stairs took years off my life!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-07-17 08:06 am   Permalink

Yeah, we had lots of complaints about the elevators but all in all the hotel worked for this year. If I had another slice of pizza from that place around the corner I think I would croak.

Rain, I'll try the Tropicrock. We are trying to plan a trip there soon to scout around and find what would be best for the group. Maybe it doesn't need to be on the beach. As long as it's close I think attendees will be happy. I'll see how many rooms they have.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation