FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-30 7:38 pm   Permalink

Like that volcano bowl! I also commented on it on instagram

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-31 6:14 pm   Permalink

Sweet
Love the bowl/board/holes idea
That's 1 reason I don't drink out of bowls much
The freekin straws flop around

Keep it up bruddah

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-04 4:25 pm   Permalink

Treg, thanks, much appreciated.

Jon, ha! I'm sure someone else has done straw holders, but I think they are definitely helpful- there's nothing worse than straws sliding away from your mouth while you take a break from your drink (if you do take a break, that is).

I plan on working on a design that holds four straws (if not more). It's dried out some more, so I added lines for coconut texture to the flaming coconut in the middle of the board as well as the sides of the bowl. I hope that any unsupported parts of the diving board survive bisque firing and does not droop down at all. I also added more details to the Big Fez mug (forgot to take photos).

A bunch of pieces were bisque fired, including a stamp I made for Tiki Oasis pendants. I had made a positive, then used it to make a negative mold. I used the bisqued negative with wet clay, pressing it and then trimming out the shape. From this...

to

to

There are a total of 16 pendants (if all survive). If you'll be at Tiki Oasis let me know here and I'll add your name to the pendant list. There will be at least 10 available, a few are already spoken for. Each are trimmed a bit different but all will have a similar glaze on them.

I have a lot of glazing to do (not my favorite thing to do) since all of those pieces were fired. This is a very small portion of the pieces. All will be sanded down, rinsed, and glazed. There are 4 Moai Coasters, four (or five?) small hanging wall tiles, a Tiki Bob hanging tile, plus Tiki Bob pendants.

There was also a tragedy, the hand coaster went boom in the kiln.

Muchos mahalos for the visit.

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-05 07:49 am   Permalink

Dudeman- u r on fire
Sorry about the hand coaster
Not so Shaka

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-10 11:30 pm   Permalink

Man, I hate glazing. There will be a few things fired before Oasis, including these (limited) run of pendants. There were 16, but one jumped off of the newspaper I was glazing on. It somewhat survived, but it looks like the Moai will be wearing a fez instead of a beret. Not sure if that's an "oops" or a "hurrah," but will see what it looks like post glaze-firing.

Here's the _______ Dive diving board bowl, a surprise gift, that was bisque fired:

Hoping to glaze this and get this fired (also) this week. Unfortunately have a lot of work and a wife in the hospital (though hopefully getting out tomorrow).

Muchos mahalos for the visit!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-17 9:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks again David
Glad we could do the Tiki Alien art swap in person at Oasis
The mug is awesome
And thanks for the other two gifts

Jon

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-18 10:30 am   Permalink

Jon, great hanging out- feelin' good with getting the "bamboo framed" stamp from your home bar! Will post pics of your pieces once I find their rightful "place" in mine.

TikiRootsRocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-19 11:08 am   Permalink

Aloha Dave,
Great hanging out at Tiki Oasis and talking shop with you and Johnnie Velour. Also wanted to say thanks for stopping by to checkout my booth and even more for the frosty beer. Keep up the great work in the studio!

View Profile of TikiRootsRocka Send a personal message to TikiRootsRocka  Email TikiRootsRocka Goto the website of TikiRootsRocka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 30 days ago; 6:04 pm   Permalink

Mike, great seeing you- and all of your latest creations. I definitely need to add more of your work to the home collection/ bar.

I finished a few more pieces before Oasis, including 15 of these pendants. There were 16, then one decided to jump off the glazing table. Part of the beret cracked off, so I used a red glaze since it looked quite fez-like. I have no photo of the fezzed Moai, a friend grabbed it then gifted it to a little girl who loved it. Pretty cool.

A few more tiki tiles (on a new clay body):

These tiles, hand built on black clay (or B-3 Brown from Laguna, for those keeping score) are part of a set going to a friend's son's room. I made tiles with the baby's initials ("Rad") which will be interspersed with the tiles, hung onto a burned dowel.

Also this coaster (part of a larger set)- this one went to Hang10Tiki as part of the Art Swap!

Great seeing all at Oasis!

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 11:21 am   Permalink

More items have been released from the kiln gods!

The High Dive Scorpion Bowl (for two). Four different glazes. Slightly experimental build but happy with how it turned out. The (High) Diving board has two straw holders and a coconut big enough for some flaming rum and/or sugar cube. This one is going to the owner of the High Dive Bar here in San Diego.

"The Big Fez." Around 3/4 size of a box standard fez, made one of these for myself after the first two were given to their intended recipients at Oasis.

We're dealing with a deck of Moai Coasters, too- though they work better sitting on a table with a mai tai in the Moai's mouth...

New Tiki Tiles:

Scorpion Bowl:The base of the volcano in the center is open so your drink can swim around, though you can't quite tell from the camera phone photos....

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 1:10 pm   Permalink

I'm taking a break from my ceramic work and thought I deserved some eye candy. Wow, I just gained 5 pounds. You have taken over the name of machine by pouring out so much work. Very cool, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 1:51 pm   Permalink

Dave you always have the coolest glazes! I really like the glaze on the nursery tiles.
The big mouth coasters are nice, you could also make some inspited by the Kahiki fireplace

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 24 days ago; 2:02 pm   Permalink

That Volcano Bowl looks pretty awesome! Good job! I like the glazes you have been using lately too.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 6:03 pm   Permalink

Looking good!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 12:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys. I started stockpiling work to try to get it done in time for Tiki Oasis- giving a few pieces away, etc. Now I'm back to my slower pace ("I move at two speeds. If you don't like this one, you don't want to see the other one!")

Mike, thanks. The glaze on the kids' tile looks a bit different in person- that black clay eats up glaze like crazy. I didn't use quite enough glaze on these tiles (to get the look I was expecting), but it ended up okay. I do like these cone 6 glazes (though I did use a cone 06 Jungle Gem glaze on the interior of the High Dive bowl) which creates cool effects when firing it further than it's supposed to go (more "melty").

I made some Kahiki coasters slash tiles a while back- they're a bit too small for a mai tai glass, but maybe big enough for a zombie/ collins glass? Did you ever see these?

Maybe I'll make some larger Kahiki coasters. Next week I plan on starting on a new mug that's been in my notebook for some time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation