FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 8:00 pm   Permalink

He is so darling. I hope you are getting some video of him too.
You have some fun mugs there and the glazes are perfect for each piece.
Keep searching for time so we can see you some thought not as much as Tiki Ari does.

Dan used to dye his moustache when it turned white but with the beard it's too much work.

Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-05-28 10:46 am   Permalink

It's time for a Tiki Ari update. If you don't have time for tiki because you are playing with that beautiful boy we accept that but could you share him just a little bit? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-25 1:09 pm   Permalink

Oh you are in so much trouble for not posting here. It's not nice to keep Tiki Ari all to your fb friends. Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-03 4:38 pm   Permalink

Wendy, ha! I just stopped by TC after being gone for so so long. I've missed working in clay- I have a couple small pieces I started and hoping someone threw them into the kiln for a bisque firing.

Been busy with work and Tiki Ari, plus more work, so haven't posted in a while (since no clay progress). Wendy, as per your request, here's a recent photo of Tiki Ari at the Bali Hai for my Mother's 70th Birthday Dinner.

Hope to post more clay progress soon!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-30 2:46 pm   Permalink

Great photo

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-07-31 9:32 pm   Permalink

There are Ah Ha moments and Ahhhhhhhhh moments. This is an Ahhhhhhhhh what a handsome boy. They say we are all made of clay, you did a good job with this project.

Miss you until Oasis, Wendy

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-04 12:10 pm   Permalink

Haven't been working on too many clay projects, but with Tiki Oasis coming up, I figured I had to start on the annual pendant for the SD Tiki Ohana. I normally make a simple press mold, but this year's didn't work so hot, so I used the original bisqued positive as a stencil, and started tracing these out. I had planned to make more, but the final count is 20 something. They came out of the kiln yesterday, and I started working on a few other Space Themed pendants for Oasis as well. Many were given away at our monthly Bali Hai meet-up, though I have a few more that are spoken for.

It's hard to find the time to make these, so I apologize to anyone in the Ohana who is not able to get one of these. Babies take up time, as well as working.

I used a mix of different clay bodies to make the slabs, then cut and carved each one. First I used some underglaze, then different glazes on top. From this:

to:

Each pendant is unique.

I started working on a few different "Tiki Bob's in Spaaaaaace" pendants, too. These may/ may not be finished by the end of next week? The clay is still very wet, so there's not much detail in there yet.

Space Helmet Bob:
Antennae Bob:
Speed Racer Helmet Bob:

Also finished a Pufferfish Pendant for a friend- she'll get it at Oasis (shhhh, it's a surprise).

And, for Wendy, a photo of Tiki Ari chewing on a beer on a trip to Chicago (you can tell it's not at home since there's green grass, which does not exist in San Diego these days with our severe drought).

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2015-08-06 16:46 ]

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-05 10:08 am   Permalink

Thanks again for the pendants - that was a very fun surprise! Great meet-up overall. I like the puffer pendant and the spacey Bobs, too. Fun ideas.

PS - But you forgot the Tiki Ari picture (his public awaits.)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-06 4:48 pm   Permalink

Amy, post has been corrected!

FYI the Antennae Bobs weren't happy with said antennae, so will now become Bob Magnets (sans antenna). They were fairly fragile as I carved more detail in them, then popped off as I moved them off their board (prematurely). I do plan on working on some other pendants with a similar structure.

The Space Helmet Bob and Speed Racer Bob Helmets are waiting to be bisque fired, but at this rate, I'd doubt they'll be completed by Oasis. Now accepting donated kilns. Please just don't tell the wife.

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-22 10:07 pm   Permalink

Been over a year, so figured I should post a few recent works. Don't have a ton of "in-progress" pics, since I took a mini break from ceramics, concentrating only on the last Art Swap and the Pendant Run for Tiki Oasis.

So, in no particular order, here are a few random ones- I got into making a bunch of drink coasters and flat wall tiles. Plus playing with a bunch of bowls. Just fired a bunch of pieces, which will post in a bit. All of the pieces are hand built, including the bowls (though it might have been easier to throw them on the potters wheel- though I intended them to look a bit more "primitive" (meaning, not super round).

4" Wall Tiles:

Two more Kahiki Wall Tiles:

First version of a "Rum" Necklace. I made a number of beads that I can use with some of the pendants I've made along the way. Made another set, but one of the letters was dropped as it was unloaded from the kiln. Oops.

Drink coasters: a Ku and one I'm calling "Bubble Bob."

More:

Greenware: mini Moai Platter. Pretty torn on how to glaze this, so it's hanging out, and taking advice. This has since been bisque fired): As of now I'm thinking a white background with a grayish Moai silhouette.

"Unfortunate Explorer" V.1, Greenware:

Glazed:

"Unfortunate Explorer" V.2, Greenware:

Glazed but not yet fired:

Close Up of new Bowl, greenware. This has two wooden bridges bridging across the bowl, with a fiery centerpiece. This is going to be a pain in the butt to glaze.

More tiles, made with Laguna B-3 Brown. These have since been glazed- the brown clay body turns charcoal black when it vitrifies, leaving a pretty cool effect:

Marquesan Drink Coasters:

Mahalo for looking!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2016-10-22 22:21 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-10-23 09:17 am   Permalink

Tiki Ano so good to have you posting again. I know your darling boy has taken so much time from each day. He's worth it.
Looking back I saw your puffer, that was great. It was also fun to see my Tiki Ano collection among the photos.

It's so much fun to know you and to see you each year. I hope you enter the next swap whenever it may be. Cheers, Wendy

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-24 06:01 am   Permalink

Wow
Lots o good clay there
U have been busy

But please update more than once a year

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-24 9:13 pm   Permalink

Wendy, thanks so much. You're not only an inspiration but a great instructor as well! I've recently been finding some time to go play in the studio which has been fun, and I'm trying some different kinds of builds to see if they work. Bought a bag of plaster so am going to have a go at making a mold again (with a much more simple original greenware piece) that will be carved differently after each one is poured. Fingers crossed that it will work! Ha. Look forward to hearing about the next Art Swap. As long as it's not another Disney one, I'm in. I really love participating in the group art creation, so much fun and exciting to watch what people think of and then create.

Jon, this makes two posts!

While I've neglected posting on TC, I've posted recent stuff on instagram (it's a bit faster and I can do it on the fly from my phone, without emailing photos and then resizing and uploading. I don't think you need to have an account to look at pages.

https://www.instagram.com/tikianos/

I've found to really enjoy the ceramic and tiki community on instagram- tons of support and artists/ fans reaching out to each other.

Updates: Here's the final glazed version of Version 2 of the "Unfortunate Explorer." The bowl was hand built, and is purposefully a bit "off." It's designed to look like the explorer stumbled his way into a kettle and is getting cooked (al dente, I presume). His pitch helmet and map are floating in the top of the stew. Flames surround the bottom of the primitive bowl/ kettle. This one was definitely inspired by the "Cannibal" Art Swap of a few years ago, now that I think of it (i made something quite similar, I think...)

Currently working on the "Get Kraken" Drinking Bowl. Tentacles are all over this piece- and the wet clay had to be supported so it wouldn't droop down as it dried. Hopefully this will survive kiln firings without drooping more. I used clay, sponges, and paper to hold up each piece, waiting a week until it was just dry enough to start carving...

Then kept going. ..

Bottom:

Mahalo!

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-25 07:18 am   Permalink

Nice glaZe

Dude the octo bowl is going to be awesome

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-26 9:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jon!

As good as Wendy is re: glazing I am not as good. I took a few chances on recent pieces, which has been fun. Glaze works in mysterious, and often unexplained, ways. One of the few art forms (I think), where something completely unforeseen can happen- in a very permanent way. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing... ha!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation