FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
Tiki Ano Mugsville: "I made it out of clay."
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-20 10:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jon, Amy, and Wendy.

Not really a fan of glazing, I've come to accept it. While I wouldn't say I look forward to it, I like trying new things. I've been torn as to how to glaze the ceramic masks. First I painted on underglaze, then wipe it off- the glaze remains in the cracks, leaving a nice texture.

A local friend told me he really liked this mask, and I told him I wasn't sure how to glaze it. I liked the idea of making it look like wood, and he thought it would be great to have it in another color- like a blue or green.

I decided to take him up on this, and added two layers of a cool glaze on top of the underglaze. Who knows what will happen when it's glaze fired.
This is "Bert," inspired by Ernie's friend. He's since been glazed and will hopefully come out of the kiln by XMas.

Mahalo for the visit!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-21 12:12 am   Permalink

Mask is Kool Lookin
Burt seems sad

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-12-24 11:02 pm   Permalink

Jon, think Bert just misses Ernie....

A more out of the glaze firing...

Mask, approximately 12" Tall:

Mask, approximately 10" Tall:

L-R: "I ain't got Mobody...", "Bert" & "Marq 2" (a "crawl" glazed" aged Marquesan). Bert fired a little greener than the yellow he was supposed to be, as did the Marq mug with a "blue crawl" glaze (that came out green). Ya just never know what's going to happen in da kiln....

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-12-25 06:07 am   Permalink

Wow they all turned out really great. The mask is excellent. Experimentation in glazing makes it scary fun. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-16 10:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy! I tend to avoid test tiles and use pieces as (big) glaze tests. Ha!

Been away for a bit, slammed with work- though making some time to get to the studio- just haven't had a chance to post. Here are a few mugs that were bisque fired a week or so ago....

Continuing to work on new clay masks. These are greenware (unfired clay), and are currently drying out more before being fired in the kiln.

Mahalo for the visit!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2017-01-16 22:41 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-17 08:37 am   Permalink

It's good to know you have been slammed with work. Just let the stress run out through your fingertips and into the clay. That will keep you healthy.

Are you glazing or staining your masks? They look very different. I can picture them being dug up at some primitive home site in PNG.

Cool, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-24 09:25 am   Permalink

Hi Wendy, sorry I've been away from TC for a bit, just catching up now. The masks in the above photos are greenware- I've been using a pugged clay from the clay studio- basically, a "treasure chest" of clay bodies- everyone throws in the left over clay they have left over from projects (that they don't want themselves), and it is mixed (by a machine) into "new" clay. You never really know what color it's going to be, but normally when it vitrifies it's an off-white, fine for me.

The above masks have already been bisque fired and glaze,d just waiting for someone to fire them (might take a while). I've been using underglaze, then wiping it off, then adding a clear gloss glaze or another glaze on top. Right now there are three mugs, a few masks, and a bunch of coasters waiting.

I've been using an extruder to "extract" cylinders for mugs,

Here's one of the Moais I'm working on, playing with different styles and "looks." This one is an unenthused Moai....

Mahalo for the visit!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-01-24 8:13 pm   Permalink

Your name for him made me laugh. You are on a roll don't stop, no moss allowed. Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation