FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lost cocktails of the Bali Hai, San Diego
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lost cocktails of the Bali Hai, San Diego
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 10:16 am   Permalink

Awhile back I came across two cocktail menus for San Diego’s Bali Hai Restaurant online that I believe are from the 1950s. I was intrigued by the fact that they included some cocktails no longer on the restaurant’s menu. Although no recipes are listed on any of the menus, they do usually list most of the ingredients. And from those descriptions one can usually deduce recipes that are probably fairly close.

Of the 13 cocktails listed on the first menu, nine are still being served at Bali Hai. However, of those, it seems only the Singapore Sling has remained relatively unchanged. The current Bali Hai cocktail menu lists 21 tropical cocktails, plus five “Coladas or Daiquiris.”

So I thought I'd try my hand at recreating some of these older cocktails. Here are the two early menus I speak of:

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-05-03 15:00 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 10:31 am   Permalink

I started my project with the cocktail that has intrigued me the most. The Shelter Island’s Whaler’s Punch is a cocktail that appears on older Bali Hai menus, but is no longer served. And that intrigues me because it means I can resurrect a lost cocktail. But in doing so there had to be some guess work. The menus list the ingredients as Jamaican rum, cognac, cherry brandy and California fruits. California fruits? OK, one is bound to be orange juice. But since the description is “fruits” I presume there has to be at least one more. Glancing through the ingredients of all the cocktails on the menus that include this cocktail, four juices are listed in total: orange, lime, cherry and pineapple. Pineapple would never be considered a “California” fruit. Oranges, cherries and limes are all grown in California, but since cherry brandy is one of the ingredients, would you also include cherry juice? Seems unnecessary. Therefore, I think there were probably two juices and they were orange and lime.

With that out of the way, here’s the cocktail I came up with:

SHELTER ISLAND'S WHALER'S PUNCH
1 oz Jamaican Dark Rum
½ oz Cognac
½ oz Cherry Brandy
2 oz Orange Juice
¾ oz Lime Juice
½ oz Simple Syrup

Shake ingredients with crushed ice and pour into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a cocktail cherry speared to an orange slice.

I did not have Cognac, so I used regular brandy. I used Appleton for the rum. I thought this was a really good, tasty drink. Very well balanced. So far so good.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-06-03 11:08 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2013-01-31 10:31, arriano wrote

With that out of the way, here’s the cocktail I came up with:

1 oz Jamaican Dark Rum
½ oz Cognac
½ oz Cherry Brandy
2 oz Orange Juice
¾ oz Lime Juice
½ oz Simple Syrup
Ari, That was delicious, although I omitted the simple syrup. Can't wait for the next one.
Just so you know I'm not looking for a free ride, I'm ' fiddlin with the ingredients for their "Cup of GOLD"
My wife and I were at Humphreys last week end and we made several forays to the B H's bar. Olivia is our favorite bartender there and I polished off a couple Mai Tai's made by her then we killed a bottle of champagne back at Humphrey's.
Next day at lunch I backed off a little and had the barkeep make us a Hurricane and a Cup of Gold. My wife liked the C o G better so I finished the Hurricane (too sweet) and ordered a C O G as I thought it quite tasty. Fishing for proportions,I asked the bartender How much rum was in this drink. He said 1 and 1/2 0z. I had him make me one with just 1 oz. Almost a Pina Colada with a little Orange Julius thrown in. I Liked it.
Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-01-31 10:37 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-31 12:39, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Ari, That was delicious, although I omitted the simple syrup. Can't wait for the next one.
Just so you know I'm not looking for a free ride, I'm ' fiddlin with the ingredients for their "Cup of GOLD"
My wife and I were at Humphreys last week end and we made several forays to the B H's bar. Olivia is our favorite bartender there and I polished off a couple Mai Tai's made by her then we killed a bottle of champagne back at Humphrey's.
Next day at lunch I backed off a little and had the barkeep make us a Hurricane and a Cup of Gold. My wife liked the C o G better so I finished the Hurricane (too sweet) and ordered a C O G as I thought it quite tasty. Fishing for proportions,I asked the bartender How much rum was in this drink. He said 1 and 1/2 0z. I had him make me one with just 1 oz. Almost a Pina Colada with a little Orange Julius thrown in. I Liked it.
Cheers

Yeah, it's interesting. I think the Cup of Gold (or Cup o' Gold as it was once called) may have actually been a pina colada originally as the listing of orange juice is a recent addition.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-01 09:50 am   Permalink

The Blue Gardenia that once appeared on older Bali Hai menus is now known as the Blue Mystique. Along the way, the cocktail has changed a bit. But first some history:

“The Blue Gardenia” was a 1953 film noir directed by Fritz Lang. In the film, a woman gets drunk on a few Polynesian Pearl Diver cocktails at a Polynesian themed restaurant and goes home with a man she meets at the bar. They get into a scuffle and the next day the man is found dead and the woman fears she may have killed him. The film’s title theme song was sung by Nat King Cole. A film about a woman getting drunk, going home with a strange man, and possibly killing him seems like an odd choice to name your cocktail after. But perhaps the perceived danger was appealing.

The Blue Gardenia, like the Blue Mystique, was a cocktail for two. Originally the drink called for Rhum Negrita from Martinique, lime juice, blue Curacao and brandy, and was garnished with a gardenia blossom.

I don’t know when the cocktail name was changed to Blue Mystique, or if the ingredients to the cocktail changed at the same time as the name or if the changes have been ongoing. Either way, the Blue Mystique is made with Ron Rico light rum from Puerto Rico, blue Curacao, Sweet n Sour, and brandy. Sadly, it’s not garnished with a blue mystique orchid, but a pineapple wedge and cocktail cherry.

To make a Blue Gardenia, I came up with the following recipe:

BLUE GARDENIA
4 oz Martinique Rum (I used St. James)
1 oz Blue Curacao (I used Bols)
2 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Brandy (I used Christian Brothers)
1½ oz Simple Syrup

Blend with ice for five seconds on high, and pour into a small bowl. Obviously, the garnish should be a gardenia blossom. But I don’t have access to a gardenia bush, so I subbed another flower.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-06-03 11:09 ]

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 09:09 am   Permalink

Continuing my occasional series (which probably only I care about), this installment is about the Aloha Kiss. The Bali Hai still serves an Aloha Kiss cocktail, but descriptions from past and current menus show that it has changed a at least a little. In early cocktail menus, the Aloha’s ingredients are listed as “Guava, Cranberry, Orange and Lemon Juices, Rhum (sic) and Rock & Rye.” The current menu lists the cocktails' ingredients only as “Ron Rico Light Rum & a Blend of Fruit Juices.” I don’t know if the “blend of fruit juices” is the same as the old version or not, but there's no mention of Rock & Rye.

This cocktail intrigued me as I’d never had Rock & Rye. Although not as common as it used to be, you can still buy it commercially. But after scouring the Internet I discovered that it’s not difficult to make yourself. So that’s what I did by combining rye whiskey with pineapple chunks, lemon slices and horehound candies, letting sit for a few days, and then straining. With that and all the rest of the ingredients at hand, last night I attempted to replicate the old version of the Aloha Kiss. Here’s my recipe:

ALOHA KISS
1½ oz Light Rum (Cruzan)
1 oz Rock & Rye (homemade using Jim Beam Rye as base)
2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
½ oz Guava Juice
½ oz Cranberry Juice
¼ oz Simple Syrup

As always with these recreations, I had to guess at the measurements, and I’ve no idea if they are even close to the original. But this turned out to be a very nice cocktail, with none of the juices overpowering the others. What surprised me was how the rye cut through all the flavors and held its own. Note: Traditionally this should have been garnished with an orchid – I didn’t have an orchid.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-06-03 11:10 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-03 11:20 am   Permalink

Nice work arriano. As I know first-hand, cocktail archeology can be a lonely and sometimes under-appreciated endeavor. But it's sure tasty work.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 1:28 pm   Permalink

Thoroughly appreciated by this guy right here!

Also, can you re-up the original images? They're down

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 3:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-03 13:28, Hale Tiki wrote:
Thoroughly appreciated by this guy right here!

Also, can you re-up the original images? They're down

Strange. I wonder why. Menus are reinstalled. I'll have to dig around to see if I can find the missing photos of the cocktails.

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-05-03 11:20, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Nice work arriano. As I know first-hand, cocktail archeology can be a lonely and sometimes under-appreciated endeavor. But it's sure tasty work.

Thanks! It was your blog that inspired me to explore Bali Hai's lost cocktails int he first place. Mahalo!

Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 3:36 pm   Permalink

Yes, keep 'em coming! Thanks.

In the mean time, check out the restaurant scene from Blue Gardenia. Watching Nat King Cole perform is worth the price of admission alone, but throw in Anne Baxter... Ohh la la!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=UtFoj_JinTk&feature=fvwp

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 7:57 pm   Permalink

I'm enjoying your explorations. Keep them coming.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 9:37 pm   Permalink

I just stumbled upon this recipe while I was looking for something else.

Rock and Rye recipe

from Saveur Magazine
Makes one litter.

1 liter rye whiskey
8 oz. rock candy
4 oz Luxardo cherry syrup
12 whole cloves
3 whole star anise
3 sticks cinnamon
1 orange, thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced

INSTRUCTIONS
Stir ingredients together in a 4-qt. glass jar with a lid. Let steep at room temperature for 2 days or up to a month.

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2013-05-03 21:39 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-03 9:47 pm   Permalink

If I can find cherry brandy on this island I will make the Whaler's Punch

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-04 09:15 am   Permalink

What an awesome scene. There's some bad acting, and double entendres in there.

CAN I GET HIGH ON ONE OF THESE?

DO YOU WANT TO?

I DON'T KNOW.

Brilliant!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation