FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki as a job
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki as a job
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 1:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 11:55, Cammo wrote:
"I definitely wouldn't start a tiki band, if money is an issue."

The Buzz makes a great point. I've always wondered what the thinking is behind the Tiki bands. It takes a huge and I mean HUGE amount of practice time, organizing, buying instruments, and even gas to get to all of your gigs. Some of the bands are smart (Martini Kings) and do it on a shoestring and make decent dough by playing a LOT of shows.

What's up with the other groups? What's the goal? It seems like they're losing money every time they play. This music will never be popular enough to sell past the breaking point online either, you can't dance to it and even music nerds barely acknowledge Exotica's existence.

Don't get me wrong; I love Exotica and wish it well, but I just read David Byrne's How Music Works and there simply ain't any cash in the game anymore.

You are exactly right. Why do we do it? The love of the music. In many cases, we get paid very little, but that money (at least for me) is to pay for the gas, and to bribe the wife....you see, to be allowed to leave the family every week and go play for other people, I better come home with something in my pockets to justify it!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 13:01, lucas vigor wrote:
"jack, do you want me to use the spanish accent this time?"

Huzzah!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 10:03, VeroTiki wrote:
OK--I'm going right to the source of ALL of the Tiki knowledge, experience and passion--you all on TC. I have a question that I hope you can answer. If you could earn a full time living from Tiki, whatever form that takes, what would you do? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!

Not so much a job, but starting one's own business.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 2:29 pm   Permalink

Some 'tiki' bands do very well. Not enough to solely sustain a living on, but a good supplementary income.
And if we didn't play for the love of it, then maybe we're playing music for the wrong reason anyway.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 9:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-04 11:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
I'd be Shag. Otherwise, keep it a hobby.

Sooooooo True!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 10:37 pm   Permalink

I'd say get into tiki for the fun of it, and to make money as a side job.
There are only a handful out of thousands, that do Tiki for their sole living.
Good luck....

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 10:55 pm   Permalink

My dream job would be travel from Tiki bar to Tiki bar working as a "drunk mystery shopper". Of course I'd have to built up a better alcohol tolerance - my one-drink-maximum wouldn't get me very far

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 12:47 am   Permalink

Interesting how the replies run the gamut from a straight-forward answer to offering advice on the pursuit of work endeavors and ruminations on the motivations behind what some of us here do already...

I suppose my answer is: I'll stick with making tiki art... I sort of make a part-time living at it already, so I'm half-way there!

Yeah, I guess that's my answer, since my other idea - buying motel and totally tikifying it, complete with a bar/restaurant and gallery - involves me winning the lottery first, which would make the earning a living part irrelevant.

Then I'd start a tiki band.

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 12:51 am   Permalink

I will be there when you open that Motel/Bar Eric!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 6:46 pm   Permalink

I've already got the museum thing planned out. I'll let you know if Im hiring. I have a masters in museum studies and the only way to actually make any money working in a museum is to own a traveling exhibit or to be one of the big wigs.http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21353&forum=1

I make about 1/2 my income from tiki art, but i've been doing it for 25 yrs.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 7:43 pm   Permalink

I sell my Shelves & frames etc. at Tiki events
& to be honest I don't get what it costs to build the damn things, sooooo
if you got a day job, keep it.

I know alot of Tiki people who make their living doing it and no one is getting rich.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 9:04 pm   Permalink

A theme park similar to Disneyland. This is for adults though. Most "rides" are actually tiki bars. The "rides" with the shortest lines would usually be something along the lines of the Hall of Presidents. The olde timey bus that totes you from end to end of the park because you can't walk any more would be very popular.
There would be regional tiki areas that would make you feel like you were in the Mai Kai, Kahiki or Bali Hai or some such. AND Parrot Head Land where all the Corona drinkers, country music fans and Dead Heads flock to. You'd probably make the most money there! Then there are the South Pacific Islands that would require "jungle cruise" type rides with sharks and headhunters.
I think I've got something here...

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 9:09 pm   Permalink

I would like to have a job like Bamboo Ben. I will fly to Hawaii, build a Tiki bar, shoot the shit, and then come back knowing I'm Bamboo Ben . Ben is Awesome!!!!! Much respect.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 07:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-05 21:04, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
A theme park similar to Disneyland. This is for adults though. Most "rides" are actually tiki bars. The "rides" with the shortest lines would usually be something along the lines of the Hall of Presidents. The olde timey bus that totes you from end to end of the park because you can't walk any more would be very popular.
There would be regional tiki areas that would make you feel like you were in the Mai Kai, Kahiki or Bali Hai or some such. AND Parrot Head Land where all the Corona drinkers, country music fans and Dead Heads flock to. You'd probably make the most money there! Then there are the South Pacific Islands that would require "jungle cruise" type rides with sharks and headhunters.
I think I've got something here...

I like this!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-05 21:04, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
...The olde timey bus that totes you from end to end of the park because you can't walk any more would be very popular.

Replace that old-timey bus with personal reclining lounge chairs on wheels, pushed around by tiki dancer girls with grass skirts and coconut bras (or neither, since you said the place was "for adults," ha...) and I think you've got yourself a deal. Sounds like the makings of a fun tiki event if not a full theme park. We need Bill Gates to sponsor it though -- I think he might need some wild fun and might be willing to spring the $$$ for us all!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation