FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki as a job
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki as a job
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 09:34 am   Permalink

I nominate Noname for President!
Forgotten Tikiman - isn't that the truth! Props to Ben for living the dream.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:43 am   Permalink

Hello my name is Doug and I'm a full time Tiki artist...I have $5 bucks in my checking account right now.

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:46 am   Permalink

5 BUCKS!!! Holy crap! Drinks are on Doug!!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:56 am   Permalink

If I won the lottery I'd open a Tiki bar/restaurant/art gallery. A place where you can eat, drink, look at lots of great art. The food would be good and the drinks even better.

John O would be the maitre d, Big Tiki Dude would be the bouncer, Atomic Tiki Punk would be part of the vaudeville comedy act that would open up the floor show and Grog
would be the floor show entertainment, he looks great in a coconut bra. Did I mention my art would be everywhere?

The Art of Doug Horne
http://www.swampfirelounge.com/

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 2:56 pm   Permalink

I would be down for that Doug all the way.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 3:25 pm   Permalink

If I could make Tiki my job, first I would have to be already rich. VERY rich!
Then, I would make a highly authentic restaurant and bar with attached theme park (Much like how Knott’s got started)…my restaurant would be old-school tiki. No buffet music. No hip hop. I would feature small jazz combos playing nightly, with the full Polynesian review on the weekend and occasional guest gigs from local “exotica” groups, but only the good ones!

Bottom line is in no way would I minimize or cover up the “hawaiianess” of my joint. I would try to make it as much as a vintage trip to Hawaii as possible. I would have an attached small theme park with tiki caves, and tiki jungle and a jungle cruise ride of my own.

I would hire many people from this forum to do the decorations and plant the “jungle”, which would be filled with typical ornamental tropical foliage.

In other parts of the theme park, I would have safari related attractions, and perhaps an atomic age astro type restaurant or ride…something with moon and alien planet dioramas that are totally inauthentic! (Think Gumby goes to the moon) It would be like being able to have lunch or dinner on the space station X-1 ride from vintage Disneyland circa 1955.

So basically, my theme park would have a tiki section, a jungle section, a safari land section, and a vintage googie-filled future land...oh, and maybe a vintage chinatown section too. All in all, a cross between adventure and tomorrowland combined with the now defunct ride area of lion country safari.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-02-06 15:28 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 4:16 pm   Permalink

When ever we meet up with Doug, we make sure he gets fed!
can't have our treasured artist's dying of starvation

I propose a Tiki version of "Oceans 11" to finance all these Tiki parks & Gallery's
because I need them now, so who would be the mastermind?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-06 7:14 pm   Permalink

Bamboo Benland

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2013-02-06 20:28 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 8:10 pm   Permalink

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 9:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-06 10:56, Swamp Fire wrote:

If I won the lottery I'd open a Tiki bar/restaurant/art gallery. A place where you can eat, drink, look at lots of great art. The food would be good and the drinks even better.

John O would be the maitre d, Big Tiki Dude would be the bouncer, Atomic Tiki Punk would be part of the vaudeville comedy act that would open up the floor show and Grog
would be the floor show entertainment, he looks great in a coconut bra. Did I mention my art would be everywhere?

Doug,

I like yer scenario except for 2 things.
I don't wanna be a bouncer of a bunch of drunk people.
I will be the DJ, playing the best Tiki Music,
and you can get Liz to be the Bouncer.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 9:50 pm   Permalink

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 9:54 pm   Permalink

It was a Joke sir,
everybody knows bouncers have to be sober.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:12 pm   Permalink

You damaged my calm, Jeff

ToddVegas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:16 pm   Permalink

I would open a tiki themed mini-golf course, with a tiki gift shop at the end. I'm actually working towards making it happen...

View Profile of ToddVegas Send a personal message to ToddVegas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 10:22 pm   Permalink

Oh Todd! it has to be a "Tiki Bar" at the end, get with the program

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation