FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Tangaroa-Ru, I relate to what your mother said about the Luau and Kelbos. My wife and I began dating as a result of a gig my brother and friends' lounge band played in Kelbo's Coco Bowl Room in December 1991, so there is always something special in my heart for that place. However, though the building is still in operation as a bikini bar, I can't bring myself to visit it and have the original memories diminished. Though it sounds like Bahooka's next incarnation will be closer to the original than Kelbo's is, it may still be a hard choice as to whether or not to see the update. However, if indeed Rufus and his pals are still going to be there, that might be an incentive to visit an old friend.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 1:12 pm   Permalink

Actually, if you want to see video footage of Kelbo's (maybe this should be in a Kelbo's thread), here is a wedding Lovingkindness played (my brother is the keyboard player you see at the beginning) in September 1991 in the Coco Bowl room. (I should correct myself, as the December 1991 gig where my future wife and I "met"--though we had met before--was in the front bar area.)

(Sorry if anyone's musical sensibilities are damaged...Monte Vista & Lovingkindness was an intentionally warped group, who started in 1985 and predated the craze of more "authentic" lounge music that occured in the 1990s, and directly or indirectly contributed to the Tiki scene.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldV99KsdVKE

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 1:12 pm   Permalink

I've actually been to Kelbo's, since it became a strip club. Of course, I was hoping to find some remnants of what had been, amongst the bedazzled thongs. Sadly, all gone, BUT the structure remains, and, because of that, it would be very easy to make it into a fantastic Tiki temple once again, should the opportunity ever arise. I did talk to the owners about, at least, serving a drink at their bar in memory of what had gone on before. Of course, that ungodly blue beverage in the giant plastic clamshell. Come on! That goes really well with bow-chicka-bow-bow! But, they just laughed and offered me a job.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 1:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, Congawa. That's one heck of a band. I applaud the flinging oneself on the floor in mock agony. Perfect for a wedding celebration. No musical sensibilities damaged here. Thanks for sharing. Too bad we can't see more of the Kelbo's decor in your video. But, that really wasn't a place you wanted to have the lights turned up, right? I didn't get to go there until the 80's (when I was old enough to be in a bar), but I'm sure it was a lot better back when my parents went. Still, I loved it. And I still love that structure with the lookout tower. As I said, an easy conversion back, should it ever come up for sale again. Get your imaginations revved up, folks.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robtikiti
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-10 2:01 pm   Permalink

Apologies for the cross-post from the events thread, but thought everyone might be interested.

For those in the Los Angeles area who were planning on going to Bahooka tonight, Tonga Hut just posted this on their Facebook page:

"Tribute to the legendary Bahooka tonight, beginning at 4.
Toast at 6, wherever you are.
Serving the 'Ruffus' created by our own Marie King, garnished with a carrot stick!"

View Profile of robtikiti Send a personal message to robtikiti  Goto the website of robtikiti     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RandNoel

Posted: 2013-03-10 3:02 pm   Permalink

Bahooka Tiki Restaurant 1967-2013 RIP Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tW-CX6yGUBo

View Profile of RandNoel Send a personal message to RandNoel  Goto the website of RandNoel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 4:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-10 07:06, Big Kahuna wrote:
Tangaroa-Ru, well said!
ATP, don't you ever sleep!?

Just got back from the gig at Don the Beachcomber, Rick
then you throw that extra hour on for daylight savings time and the night is half gone!
Nancy & I will be having that drink with you tonight in honor of the Bahooka!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-03-10 4:51 pm   Permalink

Photo courtesy of John English

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-15 04:49 am   Permalink

So... not to, you know, search the body before it's even cold, or anything. But has anyone heard anything about the potential interior item auction?

The only thing I heard was that it was potentially going to be on the 17th. Being two days away, you would imagine that there would be some news about it?

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-15 07:48 am   Permalink

From their Facebook page:

"We are selling the rest of the small stuff ( Parrots, floats, glasses, ect.) Saturday and Sunday 11-4. March 16th and 17th. Cash only. Will let you know about bigger items soon! Thanks!"

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-16 09:55 am   Permalink

This was just posted on Bahooka's Facebook page minutes ago.

"Evidently the sale this weekend has been cancelled by the family member that was doing it. Sorry everyone. I have no control of it."

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-16 10:31 am   Permalink

Ow man...there's gonna be a lot of pissed-off people standing in that parking lot this morning!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LostIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-16 10:39 am   Permalink

Wow! Bad form...

View Profile of LostIsland Send a personal message to LostIsland  Goto the website of LostIsland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackskeleton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-03-16 1:22 pm   Permalink

yeah, that wasn't cool to cancel at last minute like that. I'd hate to be someone traveling from far. Even my commute from the 10/710 was annoying to find nothing.

View Profile of tikijackskeleton Send a personal message to tikijackskeleton      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 2:49 pm   Permalink

it's for sale again!?!

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/04/19/tiki-paradise-bahooka-for-saleagain

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation