FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » "temporary" tiki bar coming to minneapolis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
"temporary" tiki bar coming to minneapolis
Dolewhip
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-24 6:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-06 15:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

I was critical of "320 Main in Seal Beach" which had good cocktails served in a undecorated room
painted all black with zero ambiance & a DJ playing more electronica then exotica, where is the escapism in that?

To be fair, it was never 320 Main's goal to create a Tiki atmosphere as far as decor goes; it's just not in their business model to be that kind of place. Their intent was to present extremely accurate renditions of classic Tiki cocktails, under the direction of owner Jason Schiffer and Matt "Rumdood" Robold, using recipes from Beach Bum Berry and Martin Cate, amongst others. And they were quite successful in doing so.

As the guy who provided the music, though, I take extreme exception to being accused of playing even one note of "electronica." That's just abjectly incorrect. I have copies of playlists for every night, and they show that the majority of the music played those evenings was in fact classic exotica with a few modern bands like Combustible Edison, Ape, Waitiki and Tikiyaki Orchestra thrown in. None of which I'd call "electronica" under any circumstance.

It's just uncool that you found it necessary to embellish to make your point.

Ken

View Profile of Dolewhip Send a personal message to Dolewhip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 6:46 pm   Permalink

We stopped in at Eat Street Social about a week ago during our trip to Minneapolis. No sign of the temporary outdoor bar yet. When we asked about it, our bartender said they were finalizing the drink menu but it didn't sound like there's any planned opening date yet. Apparently the wet weather hasn't created any urgency (we had a pretty good hail storm during our stop there.)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-30 7:25 pm   Permalink

It also was not open when I was there. Something to do with permits. Now they are building a tiki bar inside their establishment. Here is an article about it and the craft cocktail movement in Minneapolis.

http://m.startribune.com/?id=221682081

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-21 11:49 am   Permalink

This place is now open in the back of Eat Street Social. My friends just went there so I will let you know what they thought of it.

They didn't really mention the décor, except to say, "not really what I am looking for in a tiki place." So I would assume that it wasn't over the top. They really liked the mugs that you got to drink out of. I guess they serve their drinks in Tiki Farm mugs (hopefully not the rip offs) and everyone loved that. They say the rum selection was very good. They didn't have many of the classic staple tiki bar drinks that you would hope to find though, mostly just their own recipes with no Zombies or Navy Grogs. My friend who is into tiki drinks said he drank Cuba Libres all night with Smith and Cross. Another friend rated it 5 out of 8, whatever that means.

So it is now open. Someone should go and give it a try and write a personal review about it.

I don't like the name of the place and I can't get over it. Eat Street Social?

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 10:33 pm   Permalink

tried to go in but a friend i was with said there was a private party in there. it has a tiki which is sufficient to qualify as a tiki bar to me. i don't know anything about drinks beyond they should come in a Polynesian ceramic mug anyway...

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation