FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-03-15 4:47 pm   Permalink

UPDATE: Tikiman just posted photos of tables and chairs going out onto the patio. We're getting closer than I thought ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-18 09:52 am   Permalink

They were just testing out table patterns. They are all stacked up again to get the lift in there so they could string up the tiki lights. The inside of TS is done and CMs have been in there but they are not allowed to even bring a phone or camera in. They are ready to go and I am sure they will be ready to open next week. The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-18 10:47 am   Permalink

On 2015-03-18 09:52, tikiman2001 wrote:
The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

Tikiman, good to hear. Do you know if they were serving Grog Grotto drinks during their training at Tambu? If yes, then the usual bar layout at Tambu must have been supplemented with a number of new spirits, at least temporarily.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, will be covering the patio area given the hot, humid, and rainy weather during the summer months in central Florida.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Koro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-18 11:41 am   Permalink

I can offer some insight. They have been training at Tambu on Tambu's menu because they will be working at Tambu occasionally. The Sam's bartenders are statused as "Polynesian Bartenders," not "Trader Sam's Bartenders." They are expected to be cross-utilized at all of the Polynesian bars, as business dictates. Tambu has the same menu with the same products right now since the menu was updated last fall (updates reflected the generic Disney lounge menu changes; no changes to the Tambu-specific cocktails).

I, too, hope they will get new products behind their bar once Sam's opens, as do the Tambu bartenders.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Koro 2015-03-18 11:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki_Koro 2015-03-26 08:40 ]

View Profile of Tiki_Koro Send a personal message to Tiki_Koro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-18 12:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Tiki_Koro, for the additional insights. I agree that Tambu would benefit greatly from an expanded selection of syrups and spirits. At the very least I'd like to see them become able to make a real Mai-Tai, although when you ask they do try to make do with what they are provided with. I've always enjoyed the friendly service. Hope to see you soon at Sam's!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-03-18 12:44 pm   Permalink

So glad it's all coming together! We went ahead and booked rooms at the new Cabana Bay resort at Universal (substantially cheaper than Disney's Polynesian, like a fourth the price) for April 20-22. We'll probably get a park hopper pass at Universal to see the new Harry Potter stuff during the day and we'll have two nights that we can drive out to Sam's, Downtown Disney, or whatever else might be fun over there. I think it's like 20 min away?

Anyone have suggestions on restaurants, bars, or anything else we definitely need to check out while in the area? And what should we do for parking?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-18 1:24 pm   Permalink

Mike, while some would disagree with me, I would recommend a visit to the relatively new Aku Aku tiki bar in the Lake Eola suburb of Orlando and not too far from Universal. Their atmosphere is nice, drinks are decent, and they are showing Orlando a thing or two about how a tiki bar should be done. And the Lake Eola area is beautiful in its own right.

Yes, the Disney parks and resorts are about 30 minutes south of Universal depending on traffic. Scope out, ahead of time, the frontage road between Sand Lake Rd and Lake Buena Vista Rd to potentially bypass any traffic jam on I-4 as you approach Disney.

If you're in the Disney parks & resorts, consider visiting Beaches & Cream for ice cream and diner food in a very nice and small diner atmosphere - it is a guaranteed hit every time we go. Look for it directly behind (adjacent to) the shared swimming pool between the Beach Club and the Yacht Club resorts and across the lagoon from Disney's Boardwalk. It's between Epcot and the Swan and Dolphin. I know this is confusing, but it's actually correct.

tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 06:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-18 10:47, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2015-03-18 09:52, tikiman2001 wrote:
The bartenders have been training up at Tambu all week.

Tikiman, good to hear. Do you know if they were serving Grog Grotto drinks during their training at Tambu? If yes, then the usual bar layout at Tambu must have been supplemented with a number of new spirits, at least temporarily.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, will be covering the patio area given the hot, humid, and rainy weather during the summer months in central Florida.

As Tiki Koro mentioned the bartenders at the Polynesian will be expected to do a rotation to all the bars at some point. I did not hear they were going any of the TS drinks at Tambu and I would not expect that they will. I donít see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.
There are no plans at this point to cover the patio for either Trader Samís or Captain Cookís outdoor seating.

They had a special event inside TSGG last night. The place is amazing inside but it will not appeal to those who are hardcore tiki bar aficionados . It will appeal more to those who enjoyed Adventurers Club. While they have some amazing tiki artifacts inside, it is a much more nautical theme. It is much different that the TS out west but I think that it is good that they did not just make a copy of the Enchanted Tiki Bar.
It will be open to the public on March 26.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 07:30 am   Permalink

Tikiman, thanks for the updates, and for the confirmation of a public opening date! If they had a special event in the place last night, then it sounds like it's completely finished. Do you have any info on who the lucky group last night was?

tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 07:30, AceExplorer wrote:
Tikiman, thanks for the updates, and for the confirmation of a public opening date! If they had a special event in the place last night, then it sounds like it's completely finished. Do you have any info on who the lucky group last night was?

It was a group of Disney VIPs. They were just checking out the place. They donít have their liquor license yet.

Tiki_Koro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 08:23 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2015-03-19 06:46, tikiman2001 wrote:
Quote:

I donít see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.

I don't expect them to, either, nor do I expect them to promote the exclusive drinks from the Sam's menu. But, I hope Tambu can carry some better rums and at least orgeat and falernum. Over at Golden Oak, we carry Appleton Extra 12 yr, Rhum Celment VSOP, and Don Q Gran Anejo (in addition to the Disney core well brands), orgeat, falernum, passion fruit, and house-made cinnamon syrups, and DeGroff's Pimento Bitters. And we're not a tiki bar or even remotely Polynesian themed! Tambu deserves much better, and if it cannot rise above being 'Ohana's anteroom, then at least Tambu's loyal patrons should be able to drown out the kids with some quality rum cocktails!

View Profile of Tiki_Koro Send a personal message to Tiki_Koro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 08:45 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2015-03-19 08:23, Tiki_Koro wrote:
Quote:

On 2015-03-19 06:46, tikiman2001 wrote:
Quote:

I donít see them stocking all the specialty mugs and added ingredients at Tambu.

I don't expect them to, either, nor do I expect them to promote the exclusive drinks from the Sam's menu. But, I hope Tambu can carry some better rums and at least orgeat and falernum. Over at Golden Oak, we carry Appleton Extra 12 yr, Rhum Celment VSOP, and Don Q Gran Anejo (in addition to the Disney core well brands), orgeat, falernum, passion fruit, and house-made cinnamon syrups, and DeGroff's Pimento Bitters. And we're not a tiki bar or even remotely Polynesian themed! Tambu deserves much better, and if it cannot rise above being 'Ohana's anteroom, then at least Tambu's loyal patrons should be able to drown out the kids with some quality rum cocktails!

I just had a talk with someone about this and they said the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I donít see anything new being added. It will be interesting to see how they set up the new Oasis bar and if it will offer anything different than the Barefoot Bar.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 08:47 am   Permalink

Tiki_Koro, are you referring to one of the bars at the Four Seasons at Golden Oak? And if so, can you share the name and recommend some of the cocktails which feature some of these finer ingredients?

I agree with your call for an "upgrade" to the product list at Tambu, although the majority of guests at Tambu are not as discriminating as we are here. It's possible that Disney just doesn't see much benefit (or need) to expand the offerings at Tambu. But we can hope that the presence of Sam's, and the rotation of bartenders, will eventually influence Tambu.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 08:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 08:45, tikiman2001 wrote:
...the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I donít see anything new being added.

Very true! Tambu is small, and it seems to be targeted at providing libations for those who are waiting for their tables in O'hana. It's kind of a themed "time passing" bar for when you're waiting.

Tiki_Koro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 10:26 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2015-03-19 08:45, tikiman2001 wrote:
Quote:

I just had a talk with someone about this and they said the other bars at the Polynesian do not have the room for the extra product so unless they remove something else I donít see anything new being added. It will be interesting to see how they set up the new Oasis bar and if it will offer anything different than the Barefoot Bar.

Sounds like a cop-out by someone satisfied with the status quo. You'd be amazed what can be accomplished by a motivated leader, sometimes even by a motivated cast member! WDW is not as heavily micro-managed as it may seem; even those tasked with managing property-wide standards are open to creative ideas and suggestions. And that's as much inside baseball I'll share for now

And to clarify, I was expressing my hopes for Tambu, not my expectations. They have some fine folks working over there with its best interests at heart, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were to test new products at Tambu to see what the guest response may be.

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 08:47, AceExplorer wrote:
Tiki_Koro, are you referring to one of the bars at the Four Seasons at Golden Oak? And if so, can you share the name and recommend some of the cocktails which feature some of these finer ingredients?

The bar I am referring to is the private lounge and restaurant for Golden Oak residents, and, unfortunately, it is not open to the public. The bar is called Tyler's Lounge, named after the film Toby Tyler, and the restaurant is called Markham's, named after Marty Markham from Spin and Marty, both filmed at the Golden Oak Ranch in California. It is a Disney bar and not part of the Four Seasons. We ordered the ingredients for a tiki weekend party last summer, and we still carry them for when those drinks are requested. We featured the Mai Tai, Navy Grog (actually Ancient Mariner), Test Pilot, Zombie, and - the hit of the event - the Bali Bali!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation