FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 11:03 am   Permalink

Tiki_Koro, thanks for the many extra details. I'll be making a Bali Bali soon, cheers to you and your team at Tyler's in Golden Oak!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 12:59 pm   Permalink

Tikiman just posted a photo of a Tiki from Oceanic Arts arriving at the Trader Sam's patio and awaiting placement. I don't like seeing him like this, but I'm sure he'll be standing proudly soon ...

He also has a video from last night's sneak preview (outside Trader Sam's), along with other photos:
https://www.facebook.com/Tikimanpages

I too hope the quality and/or selection of drinks improves at the Tambu Lounge. I gave the bar some credit as my Tiki Bar of the Week this week ...
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2015/03/17/the-week-in-tiki-march-16-2015-miller-to-remain-in-big-apple-tiki-weekenders-sell-out-in-chicago-n-j/#bar

As a service bar for both restaurants, it's never going to be a true Tiki bar, but I'm encouraged that all the bartenders are being trained on the Trader Sam's drinks. That can't hurt.

Very interesting to hear about the Tiki drinks at Golden Oak. But I should probably start playing the lottery if I ever expect to live there.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 08:00, tikiman2001 wrote:
...They don’t have their liquor license yet.

Not personally knowing anything about the liquor licensing process, is this not a cause for concern at this date?

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The bar I am referring to is the private lounge and restaurant for Golden Oak residents, and, unfortunately, it is not open to the public. [snip] We ordered the ingredients for a tiki weekend party last summer...

Sounds like it was a blast:

http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/news-updates/event-tiki-weekend/

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 3:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the updates. I'm dying to see what kind of "nautical" stuff they have inside. Despite it not being as "tiki" as the original in Anaheim (which itself has quite a lot of non-tiki emphemera), it seems like a number of well-known people in the tiki arts community have been approached by Imagineers to include some of their work in the Grog Grotto. Can't wait to see what "hidden gems" will be stowed away in there.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 4:31 pm   Permalink

LOOKING forward to consistent, quality TIki mixology @ the new WDW TS's!!!

PS Tambu Lounge has always been Ohana's holding pattern/watering hole & bartenders there have told me lack of quality/quantity bar supplies has always been an issue!

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 6:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 15:47, finky099 wrote:
Thanks for the updates. I'm dying to see what kind of "nautical" stuff they have inside.

Check the concept art.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Republic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-19 7:17 pm   Permalink

I came across this article about Disney from a LinkedIn emailing that I received. . I didn't see another forum to post this in regarding Disney.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/14/walt-disney-co-theme-park-could-double-in-size.aspx

View Profile of Tiki Republic Send a personal message to Tiki Republic  Email Tiki Republic Goto the website of Tiki Republic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-19 7:43 pm   Permalink

I think we need to bear in mind that the name of the new place is "Traders Sam's Grog Grotto" and not "Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar."

But let's look at the Trader Sam's backstory. It's not Polynesian or tiki but a blend of jungle, Africa, explorer, boats, adventure, and the like. Sure, there are carvings and natives in and around the Trader Sam's backstory locations. But they're not tiki per se. However, because this venue is located in the Polynesian Village Resort, we should expect a fair amount of tiki and Hawaiiana integrated into the place. And, also working in our favor is the fairly recent completion of the Aulani resort. The whole Polynesia/Hawaii mindset is still fresh in the minds of the current Imagineering teams.

Different than Anaheim? Yes. Better than Anaheim? Yes and no depending on what perspective you choose to take. In any case, "Grog Grotto" should be a helluva lot of fun. I'm already looking forward to the off-season when it won't be so jam-packed and it will be easier to wander around and really look things over. I'm expecting it will be a helluva big hit with all but the most stodgy of resort guests.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 9:14 pm   Permalink

I'm curious to see if any of the concept sketches will make it in in a recognizable form. They are all neat but the reality of being a bar may make them totally impractical.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-19 9:39 pm   Permalink

The concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more Tiki than the original Trader Sam's. The only overtly "nautical" elements I'm seeing are those related to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm not at all tapped into what is going on there, but based on the concept art, the location in the Polynesian Village Resort and what I know about how the original Trader Sam's was based more on Adventureland and the Jungle Cruise, it wouldn't shock me if this one was more Tiki. I guess we'll see in a week or so?

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 12:52 am   Permalink

Update on the Tiki going up on the patio: He's up ...

(Photo from Tikiman's Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages on Facebook)

Also, in regards to the "nautical" theme, bear in mind that a bar (The Molokai lounge) at one of the greatest Tiki establishments in the world (The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale) is a total nautical theme. If it's done right, I'm sure we're not going to mind one bit.

Also, some people forget that there is a Polynesian connection to "20,000 Leagues." The 1954 film includes scenes set in New Guinea featuring cannibals and human skulls on stakes (coincidentally a trait also attributed to Trader Sam himself).

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-20 06:27 am   Permalink

Good discussions here ahead of the imminent opening of Sam's, it will be fun to see it when it opens.

Hurricane - good catch on the 20,000 Leagues scene in the film with cannibals, etc. I don't recall elements of the film in the Grog Grotto concept art, but am reminded that this is a theme park bar where both the imagineers and a percentage of guests fondly recall the days of the Nemo submarines in the Magic Kingdom. I would not be at all surprised to see nods to 20,000 Leagues, and to other extinct attractions like Adventurers Club, appear in Sam's. This is a good time to note that Trader Sam is himself, in the Jungle Cruise attraction, a native who sells heads. What made Sam decide to go "civilized" enough to open a bar may not be explained to us, unless of course "someone else" opened the bar and used his moniker, or maybe a woman drove him to drink.

EnchangedTikiGoth - I don't see "the concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more tiki than the original Trader Sam's" because I still see more Adventureland and Jungle Cruise in the concept art as you mentioned in your post. The giant snake is one jungle example, I don't think that there are any snakes occurring naturally in the islands of the South Pacific. Maybe it's just me, and that's ok. It would not surprise me to see less tiki than at Trader Sam's in Anaheim and more of a general "jungle" and "adventure" treatment in Grog Grotto. Then also with other almost random stuff thrown in for nostalgia and fun. There is definitely plenty of room to have incorporated tiki stuff into Sam's, but there is also a difference between jungle-style dark-continent stuff (Africana) and tiki. I am expecting an eclectic mix of Trader Sam's jungle stuff and other stuff which may have been "brought to Trader Sam" by other explorers and adventurers. I think all options were wide open to the designers with a hefty emphasis on the immersive fun.

One of the big topics we haven't really touched on in this thread are the animated features coming to Sam's. I have no inside information other than to expect the giant snake in the concept art to come to life, and also the torch-waving native (Sam himself?) to speak to us. What volcanos and other things will be triggered by ordering specific drinks? What gags will be in the place, like the famous sinking bar stools?

I love this analysis and speculation -- we're gonna have a great time seeing it when it's actually open. I claim first dibs on a really painful hangover that will make me want to go and sell "one of mine for two of his."

See you at Sam's -- VERY SOON!

tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-20 06:32 am   Permalink

Much of the Hawaiian influence that found its way into the Polynesian in the early 90’s with Clyde Min as GM have gone away in this renovation. I’m not judging it as good or bad. Years ago Imagineers told me the redesign of the Polynesian would have very little in common with Aulani and it would be more of an Adventureland feel. Many of the staff of the Polynesian (who are from Hawaii) pointed out to me that much of the new lobby artwork even has an African influence. This goes along with the Adventureland feel. Even the tikis that have always been around the Polynesian (that originated from the same molds used for the Tikiroom tikis) are not your traditional tiki carvings but Disney’s Adventureland version. Much of what Oceanic Arts did for the original Adventureland (like the masks) was more inspired by Africa, Australia and New Guinea.

Grog Grotto will not have many bar stools up at the main bar so the inside will feel less like a bar and more like a lounge.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-20 06:36 am   Permalink

I just re-read my last post. Instead of going back and editing it, I want to add again that just by Sam's being located in Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, I do expect to see some tiki and Polynesian stuff inside. I don't expect it to be a full-on tiki bar and expect it to be very different from Sam's in Anaheim.

The anticipation is killing me. Good thing that Sam's is so close to opening. I'm very curious to see how my second-guessing goes since so much is still unknown about how Sam's was designed and built.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation