FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-20 06:42 am   Permalink

Tikiman - that totally makes sense and supports what I'm expecting to find. I have not seen the remodel yet and will keep an eye open for the things you've pointed out. It's kinda weird that so much African-influenced stuff could make its way into a Polynesian-themed resort, but that may be in line with today's guest impressions and expectations based on what they see in Jungle Cruise, Adventureland, and in the movies and films. And we all know that Disney pulls these things off very well, I'm sure it's all really nicely done. I'm looking forward to comparing my before and after photos and walking around the place.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-20 08:25 am   Permalink

The Polynesian name is about all that came from Walt. Many people say Walt would be upset at the changes but we really have no idea what he would think because we don’t even know what he would have thought about the original resort. After he died the design for the resort had nothing to do with any of the original ideas he had. Once it came time to do the resort the name stayed but the theme was intended to be tropical with some Adventureland influences. That is why the tikis around the resort were taken from the molds used for the Disneyland Tiki room tikis. There was almost no authentic Polynesian Islands representation to the resort when it opened. The most authentic thing to come later was the luau. The only other things that came from Polynesian island designs were the carvings from Oceanic Arts but almost none of those designs were representative of Hawaii so it is ironic that many people thing the Polynesian is a Hawaiian resort. Most of the Hawaiian influence came in the 90’s when they brought over people from the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel to bring in designs from Hawaii. The 90s brought in the stone floor to the lobby and it also brought in ‘Ohana and later Kona Café. Now they are going back to some of the original 70’s Adventureland ideas including a more retro look to the DVC rooms.

I think people sometimes don’t get the intention behind some of the designs at the Polynesian but maybe we just look at it as the Polynesian is just something of its own look and feel. A look and feel that has changed over the years but still tries to give you that happy feeling when you stay there or visit the resort.

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiman2001
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-20 09:02 am   Permalink

Here are the mugs I told you about Jim.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/03/preview-of-new-merchandise-coming-to-disneys-polynesian-village-resort-at-walt-disney-world-resort/

View Profile of tikiman2001 Send a personal message to tikiman2001  Email tikiman2001 Goto the website of tikiman2001     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 10:25 am   Permalink

Nautical, tiki, adventureland, exotica. Whatever. It's going to be AWESOME. Can't wait.

And that merch from the Poly is going to make me go VERY broke.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 10:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-19 21:14, wizzard419 wrote:
I'm curious to see if any of the concept sketches will make it in in a recognizable form. They are all neat but the reality of being a bar may make them totally impractical.

I'm sure the major features (Uh Oa, the tentacle, clamshell etc) will make it. The smaller details are what will change as far as the chotchkies go. Take a look at the concepts for Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar and then think as to what is/isn't similar to the real deal:

Quote:

On 2015-03-20 06:27, AceExplorer wrote:
One of the big topics we haven't really touched on in this thread are the animated features coming to Sam's. I have no inside information other than to expect the giant snake in the concept art to come to life, and also the torch-waving native (Sam himself?) to speak to us. What volcanos and other things will be triggered by ordering specific drinks? What gags will be in the place, like the famous sinking bar stools?

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here
https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s )

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2015-03-20 13:30 ]

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-20 10:35, kkocka wrote:
I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s)

Wow, it's been so long, I didn't realize the chant came from that. Definitely the only decent thing to come out of the Under New Management version! Fixed the time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP60T-XbUS4&feature=youtu.be&t=8m29s

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-20 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here

You're right, you did post that earlier. I know that sometimes its not easy posting without re-reading more of the entire thread, wish I had more time. We're up to 18 or 19 pages now, and that detail got lost.

Oh, I didn't think I was claiming the figure was Trader Sam at all, but I was definitely questioning and asking if it was Trader Sam because I wasn't sure. I thought to myself (and still do) that it looks a lot like the Trader Sam character in Jungle Cruise. But if it is Uh Oa, ok, I get it now. I think you can see that I don't take Disney concept art too seriously given their propensity to dream and design and then budget cut the hell out of stuff.

And thanks for the video bookmark. I avoided "Under New Management" so much that I may have only seen the whole thing a couple times at most. I forgot all about that - it must've left an awesome impression on me.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 1:35 pm   Permalink

Hah, I wasn't implying to go back and reread the thread - just more of an fyi sorta thing. He's actually pretty ghoulish looking:

...and here's Florida's verison, a bit goofier looking:

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 3:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-20 06:36, AceExplorer wrote:I want to add again that just by Sam's being located in Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, I do expect to see some tiki and Polynesian stuff inside.

Well there certainly should be, even if the place leans more toward "jungle". After all, the Enchanted Tiki Room is also part of Adventureland.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 7:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Also, some people forget that there is a Polynesian connection to "20,000 Leagues." The 1954 film includes scenes set in New Guinea featuring cannibals and human skulls on stakes (coincidentally a trait also attributed to Trader Sam himself).

That's not the only one!

In both Jules Verne's original novel and 1962 Disney film adaptation of In Search of the Castaways, there are extended scenes in New Zealand where they are taken captive by hostile Maoris. In the novel, the character of Thomas Ayrton (played by George Sanders in the film) is marooned on the phantom island called Maria Theresa Reef, or Tabor Island as it was called on French maps. It reappears in Verne's Mysterious Island when the characters stranded on Lincoln Island (Nemo's secret base) rescue Ayrton. In the 1961 film adaptation of The Mysterious Island, the two islands are conflated and the heroes discover Ayrton's remains on the single unnamed island. If you want to get really nerdy with the Disney trivia, the theme for Disneyland's Primeval World attraction is taken from The Mysterious Island, which itself acts as a kind of "unofficial sequel" to Disney's film.

As an author, Verne revisited the South Pacific in The Floating Island, Two Years' Vacation and The Kip Brothers. I may know all this because I was trying to figure out ideas for a hypothetical home lounge that gave me an excuse to blend Tiki with my love of Jules Verne

Quote:

EnchangedTikiGoth - I don't see "the concept art makes Grog Grotto look even more tiki than the original Trader Sam's" because I still see more Adventureland and Jungle Cruise in the concept art as you mentioned in your post. The giant snake is one jungle example, I don't think that there are any snakes occurring naturally in the islands of the South Pacific.

That "snake" is a tentacle from one of the squids (or at least referencing the squids) from the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction The diving helmet behind the bar is also one from 20K.

Being a ridiculous Jules Verne nerd, I would have loved to have gone on the 20K attraction, but I was still a year away from graduating high school when it closed. I didn't even get to WDW until last year! And now I'm grumbling because there is little chance of us going back there just so I can go to Trader Sam's to see a helmet, and tentacle, and pick up a Nautilus mug At least I have been to the 20K attractions in Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneysea. I almost... almost... talked my wife into a Disney Cruise, which would have had the benefit of snorkeling in the Bahamas around where the underwater scenes of 20K were filmed, and seeing the old 20K attraction submarine that Disney sunk in the snorkle lagoon of their private island. Who knows, maybe some day we will, and that will be my excuse to go to Grog Grotto too?

I don't have any problem with the more generically Adventureland theme either, since I am hardly a Tiki purist. I was just commenting on the concept art and the location. If we were going to speculate that Grog Grotto will follow the path trod by the original Trader Sam's, then we would have to consider attractions from WDW that they could reference. Jungle Cruise and the Enchanted Tiki Room are obvious, and we already know about 20K and Under New Management. I think you're probably spot on about Adventurer's Club (there already are references to it in Trader Sam's). With Aloha Isle probably slated to close they might throw a reference in Grog Grotto, and we might see some Swiss Family Robinson references as well (alluding to the Treehouse). It would give me a kick to see an In Search of the Castaways reference, since there's the Jules Verne, 20K connection, but who knows? Indiana Jones stunt show maybe? What else?

[ This Message was edited by: EnchantedTikiGoth 2015-03-20 19:07 ]

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I'm sure the major features (Uh Oa, the tentacle, clamshell etc) will make it. The smaller details are what will change as far as the chotchkies go. Take a look at the concepts for Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar and then think as to what is/isn't similar to the real deal:

Quote:

One of the big topics we haven't really touched on in this thread are the animated features coming to Sam's. I have no inside information other than to expect the giant snake in the concept art to come to life, and also the torch-waving native (Sam himself?) to speak to us. What volcanos and other things will be triggered by ordering specific drinks? What gags will be in the place, like the famous sinking bar stools?

I mentioned a few pages back that you can probably expect the tentacle to animate, as well as Uh Oa, the Tiki Goddess of Disaster (whom you mistakingly claimed as Trader Sam. If you need to watch the awful once upon a time "Under New Management" then I bookmarked exactly where she comes in here https://youtu.be/TP60T-XbUS4?t=8m29s )

[ This Message was edited by: kkocka 2015-03-20 13:30 ]

I don't know... I am almost positive the clamshell is not going to make it because it doesn't look practical (remember the soda launcher at DLR?), the tentacle may be there but animation may not make it, they could re-use the figure from tiki room so it could make it.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-03-20 7:40 pm   Permalink

Goth, good trivia there! Yessir, that is a tentacle and not a snake, I've been poking at a Jungle Book fan's comment, but the "pokee" isn't following up... I'm waiting to see how many attractions and films actually got nods from the imagineers.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-20 7:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-20 19:33, wizzard419 wrote:
I don't know... I am almost positive the clamshell is not going to make it because it doesn't look practical (remember the soda launcher at DLR?)

To be fair you can't really tell what the purpose of the clamshell is there whether its decor or serves a purpose. There's also the issue of the diver's helmet behind the bar that looks like it is glowing (w/a ship in it?). But consider there is also a drink on the menu called "Polynesian Pearl" and there appears to be pearl mugs to drink from - so I'd say that's a fair bet on there being some kind of giant clamshell to go w/it, much like the Shipwreck on the Rocks drink + mug + effect.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-03-21 01:20 am   Permalink

Some great discussion as we ramp up to the opening. EnchantedTikiGoth, I'm glad you brought up Jules Verne and more of those details. I find it amazing that the influence of an author who was in his prime some 150 years ago is still being felt to such a degree. I'd love to see a few nods to Verne in the Grog Grotto.

One of the few official announcements made by Disney has been the drink names, so we can speculate on what special effects may be attached to the Nautilus (perhaps a submarine similar to the sinking ship in Anaheim), Castaway Crush, Polynesian Pearl (the pearl mug already mentioned), Dark & Tropical Stormy (a tropical storm effect?), and Tahitian Torch (a flaming drink, I hope).

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-21 08:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-03-20 12:48, AceExplorer wrote:
You're right, you did post that earlier. I know that sometimes its not easy posting without re-reading more of the entire thread, wish I had more time. We're up to 18 or 19 pages now, and that detail got lost.

Speaking of 19 pages, is anyone else as surprised as me that it's been over two years since the new Trader Sam's was announced, and this thread started?

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation