FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-21 11:50 pm   Permalink

I hate to interrupt the East Coast vs. West Coast feud :>) .... but I've got lots of news and info on Trader Sam's coming to the Polynesian. I spoke with Steve "Tikiman" Seifert last week and he gave me lots of info from what he considers very reliable sources ...

Update: Trader Sam’s could be key part of Disney World’s Polynesian Resort refurbishment

New reports have surfaced about renovations at Disney World’s Polynesian Resort that indicate the precise location of Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar, plus a subtle re-theming in the spirit of the Disney parks’ iconic Adventureland. The massive construction project that may eventually bring the popular Disneyland lounge to the East Coast now appears certain to begin in September.

A few highlights:

* Work should begin on the Great Ceremonial House (photo above) next year, paired with the work on the pool.

* The view of the lagoon is crucial to the redesign, Seifert said. This means removing or significantly scaling back the huge volcano slide at the pool and greatly expanding the patio area between the pool and the quick-service restaurant Captain Cook’s Snack Company. This is also the likely home of Trader Sam’s (see photo below).

* The layout would be similar to the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, where the Tangaroa Terrace adjoins and provides food for Trader Sam’s. Those establishments also share a large outdoor patio.

* The refurbishment will evoke the look and feel of Adventureland and the Adventurer’s Club. Seifert said he doesn’t think it will be too kitschy, but more like Disney going back to its roots with "more details and special touches."

* The Tambu Lounge will likely remain as a service bar for the second floor restaurants ('Ohana and Kona Cafe). But those restaurants, as well as the bar, could see a total re-theming as well.

Click below for my full report, including a recipe for the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Rum at Trader Sam's ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/08/20/update-trader-sams-could-be-key-part-of-disney-worlds-polynesian-resort-refurbishment/

Coming soon to the Polynesian Resort at Disney World?

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-22 04:10 am   Permalink

THANK YOU, for returning this thread to the TC related topic with this info update! Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-23 11:05 am   Permalink

Saw the Atomic Grog update on the Trader Sam's fb page. Well done.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-08 10:52 pm   Permalink

The latest from Tikiman:

"There is also word that Trader Sam’s is expected to be completed by February 2015 but no start date has been mentioned. Not too long ago, people were being told by CMs at the resort that Trader Sam's was not going to happen. I think with all the information now out there about things going on at the resort a lot of false rumors are starting to be spread."

Here's his full report:
http://www.tikimanpages.com/poly/news/item/197-news-and-observations

I'll try to get some more info and post ASAP.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-09 1:09 pm   Permalink

Yeah this is a pretty hot topic over at the WDWmagic forums. A lot of false rumors/poor ideas are easily spread. I feel like there's a lot of misunderstanding over Sam's in general on the Florida end.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 05:35 am   Permalink

WDW Magic is a Disney Park fan chat site. To their credit some of the Tiki members here are trying to inform the LTI(Low Tiki Info) people over there, what Trader Sam's is all about. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-11 10:00 am   Permalink

Yeah, the hardcore Disney (especially WDW) fans can be "rabid," to say the least. They're currently freaking out because the Magic Kingdom got rid of a talking trash can (don't ask).

But with construction at the Poly perhaps stretching into 2016 or beyond, it makes sense that they would try to quickly build out Trader Sam's (and perhaps a stand-alone Dole Whip shop) to add amenities and keep the natives happy. Not to mention keep the hotel solidly booked.

kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-11 11:19 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2014-02-18 15:07 ]

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-17 11:43 am   Permalink

Here's my latest story, pulling together all the news and rumors ...

Disney World announces refurbishment schedule for Polynesian Resort, but no word on Trader Sam’s

One year from now, stepping into Disney’s Polynesian Resort in Orlando could be a much different experience. With construction on the 42-year-old iconic hotel’s timeshare additions in full swing, work appears to be moving forward on the resort’s nerve center, the Great Ceremonial House.

Check out the latest updates on The Atomic Grog:
http://wp.me/p1xHjT-1Tt

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 2:44 pm   Permalink

Hurricane, thanks for the update - going over to read it now.

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 05:00 am   Permalink

We were there last week @ Ohana's had what they called a Zombie(NOT)food & service was also a bit off from prior visits. Hope the Poly refurb will look into lighting, the ground floor is so dark need a miners carbide lamp to see. Thortiki

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-19 06:03 am   Permalink

I've had similar experiences at the Tambu Lounge. When I asked the bartenders specific questions about the pedigree of their cocktail recipes, they have politely conceded that theirs are "the Disney versions." I took that to mean fewer ingredients, less expensive ingredients, and therefore less complexity and balance than what we are accustomed to in the authentic recipes. In other words, "tourist fare" which appeals to a very broad audience who generally have less discriminating taste. The dining at O'hana is always wonderful and fun even if it is a bit pricey.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
*Bamboozled*
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-19 08:10 am   Permalink

We stayed at the Polynesian last week, as well. That was my first time there and I really dug the whole vibe -- especially around the Tambu and 'Ohana. Count me among those who would love to see a Trader Sam's at the Polynesian, PROVIDED they do it right and don't cheapen it. We took our 3-year old daughter, so we were room-bound fairly early, but ordered a Zombie through room service. When I called to order, I asked if they made a Zombie and the CM said she had to look it up to see if that was on the list -- after taking a few moments to look, she reported that it was. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't a real zombie, either. The bartender had evidently added the bitters on top after he poured it, so my first sip (don't know why I didn't use a straw) was rather bitter. Wish I had stirred it all up first, but even though I probably consumed all of the bitters in that first sip, the rest of the drink still seemed balanced and not overly sweet, as was my fear when I took the gamble in ordering it.

View Profile of *Bamboozled* Send a personal message to *Bamboozled*      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-19 08:34 am   Permalink

Good call, a very brave cocktail order! Being adventurous and willing to take a chance on things has led to many discoveries for me, some good, some not so good. I find that the good discoveries outweigh all the other bad.

Bartenders are often improvisational artists. Their bar is their palette, and your palate is their canvas.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-19 08:34, AceExplorer wrote:
Bartenders are often improvisational artists. Their bar is their palette, and your palate is their canvas.

Like all improv artists, they're often bad. I imagine when Sam's is at the Poly, Tambu will have a revised recipe for their Mai Tai.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation