FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Sam's - Orlando
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Trader Sam's - Orlando
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 05:23 am   Permalink

ACCESS to proposed Trader Sam's @ WDW???

1. TS @ Disneyland has easy access thru their downtown Disney parking lot for 3 hours free.

2. SO how will a group of Tikiphiles be able to access the proposed TS @ WDW if they are not on the Poly's gatekeeper list for staying at the Poly or eating reservation at Ohana's for example???

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 07:44 am   Permalink

When Sam's opens, the guard at the gate may let you in free-of-charge if you tell you're there to dine at the resort. I did this when I went this past weekend (saw Alan Parsons live in concert at Epcot) and beforehand spent quite a bit of time roaming around at the Poly. Later, after the concerts, I had drinks at Tambu and confirmed with bartender John my suspicion of where Sam's is going to be located in the building. I'll post a cell phone photo later.

One thing of note -- the fountain is still there with the entire upper balcony obstructed by a very thin (temporary?) "construction" wall. Not sure what purpose it serves at this time, but it does block the view down into the lobby and the fountain.

I'm thinking of announcing a meetup for us to meet, walk around, take photos before the remodel, and have a few drinks at Tambu before the end of June. The place is really beautiful. We should all see it and meet at least once before things change.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-21 08:59 am   Permalink

You can walk or monorail to the Poly from the Ticket & Transportation Center, or you can take a boat or monorail from the Magic Kingdom, or take the monorail from the Grand Floridian or from the Contemporary. Your best bet is probably the TTC, parking is $17.

Disney transportation is, technically, reserved for guests at the resorts but in 20 years of going to WDW I've never seen anyone get carded. That said, it's probably easiest just to park at TTC and walk over.

We'll be there for a few days before heading down to the Hukilau, I'll try to remember to shoot some photos of the remodel. Or maybe I'll just shoot some photos of the view from my bar stool at the Tambu Lounge.

[ This Message was edited by: Wichita Lime Man 2014-05-21 09:23 ]

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 09:24 am   Permalink

Ace & Wichita,

Your posts have highlighted a big hassle WDW has created for the proposed Traders Sam's by locating it at the Poly & NOT Downtown Disney:

1. In Anaheim you park in the lot free for at least 3 hours, walk across the lot behind the Disneyland Hotel & your there at TS. No fuss no muss!

2. At WDW its not just the amount of the parking fee, but the hassle of getting there after you pay. Disney is NOT making it easy for the general Tiki public to patronize a new TS.

3. Bet if a quality Tiki bar was opened on International Drive, park walk right in with consistent quality Tiki drinks & décor to match you would beat the socks off a TS the way Disney is setting it up in Orlando.

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-21 09:33 am   Permalink

Thortiki, I agree on all counts. Without straying too far off-topic, my opinion is that the suits in Anaheim seem to believe the margins are far better if they lease DD/PI space to outside chains (Bongos, House of Blues, etc.) as opposed to having company-owned properties like they did in the heyday of Pleasure Island.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 10:27 am   Permalink

We cannot assume that outsiders are part of the audience for Sam's, otherwise they would be putting it in a more accessible location. Keep in mind that the Poly is being updated. The scope of the project includes additional high-end rooms on stilts as well as future additions for DVC members. The property will experience and uptick in demand which could span many years if not decades. By putting a "nugget" like Sam's at the Poly:

1) You reward DVC members and hotel guests with a unique experience conveniently placed at their resort.
2) You reduce "outsider" traffic and overcrowding from the public-at-large and from many of the high-volume conventions which hit Orlando throughout the year. This is a known problem at Sam's Anaheim which they seem to be working to avoid in Orlando.

Sam's Orlando is expected to be a plussed version of Sam's Anaheim although without the smaller and more intimate feeling we get in Anaheim.

I would also not rule out a location in Downtown Disney yet. The concept at the Poly will likely be very popular. Although Disney is not in the habit of duplicating things, I can see a benefit to putting something similar to Sam's in the new Disney Springs. It would basically be a big mall if only lessees are to be tenants in Disney Springs. That could suck. But let's see what Disney and Schussler Creative come up with (and actually build) in Disney Springs.

I can't remember the Trader Sam backstory, but I do seem to recall his activities and adventures took place on the African continent and not in the islands of the South Pacific. Is the whole Trader Sam's tiki thing a bit out of place, or is it just me and early-onset Alzheimers?

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 1:11 pm   Permalink

They pretty much aren't, they won't be turned away if they show up, but WDW is generally considered a destination vacation resort, where people are staying and visiting for multiple days rather than making quick day trips. DLR on the other hand has a heavy local population that will come to visit.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

The new guest bands that they have been advertising may restrict access even more. No band - No service??

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 1:54 pm   Permalink

What guest bands? At the Polynesian?

wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 1:55 pm   Permalink

They mean the magicbands, and they won't be doing that because there is money to be made.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 6:09 pm   Permalink

I think it might be a bit late for that meetup at the Poly Falls… walls went up at the fountain, today.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 6:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for letting us know. That's a bummer. Now I understand why there were walls on the 2nd story balcony - it was already starting to happen.

The pool area is probably still going to remain visible for a while. Last chance to take photos of the volcano slide.

One thing I noticed when walking around the pool area. With the construction of the stilt houses, the waterfront is getting cluttered. Views of the lake, with the stilt houses so prominent, now blend in with the Grand Floridian and obstruct the open views across the lake. Who is designing these things and putting money and "glamor" ahead of the nice views envisioned and carefully built by the original designers? The waterfront is falling victim to overzealous development I'm afraid. I'm concerned about what additional Disney Vacation Club projects will do to the Poly. Disney is building their own version of overbuilt Waikiki it seems.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-21 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-21 13:55, wizzard419 wrote:
They mean the magicbands, and they won't be doing that because there is money to be made.

It took me until now to understand that you both were referring to the new RFID wristbands they've started using for guests.

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-21 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-21 18:46, AceExplorer wrote:
Thanks for letting us know. That's a bummer. Now I understand why there were walls on the 2nd story balcony - it was already starting to happen.

The pool area is probably still going to remain visible for a while. Last chance to take photos of the volcano slide.

One thing I noticed when walking around the pool area. With the construction of the stilt houses, the waterfront is getting cluttered. Views of the lake, with the stilt houses so prominent, now blend in with the Grand Floridian and obstruct the open views across the lake. Who is designing these things and putting money and "glamor" ahead of the nice views envisioned and carefully built by the original designers? The waterfront is falling victim to overzealous development I'm afraid. I'm concerned about what additional Disney Vacation Club projects will do to the Poly. Disney is building their own version of overbuilt Waikiki it seems.

Yeppp. You nailed it. The Poly/Seven Seas Lagoon vista used to be really simple. Spires of Cinderella Castle in the background, islands, sand, water, and some great igneous rock formations. Maybe the Contemporary looming in the distance.

Now? Grand Floridian (how I dislike that hotel! Oy!) the bungalows, the new pool, the new Contempo Tower, and large Volcano Pool.

I'm really hoping that the new pool is of a subtler design… and that the bungalows, at least, maybe block out some of the other stuff. Sigh.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 10:51 am   Permalink

Once again I'd point out to remember that Sam's is, and intended to be, a hotel bar first. This is why it is not going to Disney Springs, besides the horrible abuse the place would take from a giant mass of traffic, countless Brazilian tourist groups, and the like. The accessibility will likely reflect that. There are certainly ways to get to the Poly w/o staying there of course, but I can't speak as to the ease of access if you just wanted to dine there, etc.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation