FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - The Tahitian Village in Downey, CA
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki History - The Tahitian Village in Downey, CA
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-15 07:57 am   Permalink

Ah, the classic Dr. Funk keeps appearing to me over the past week or so. I gotta give that a try soon...

I will confess to noticing spelling on restaurant menus. It's amusing that they spelled "Kahlua" correctly and blew "Chartreuse" and "Marnier."

A very nice menu!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
honrbl1

Posted: 2012-10-08 10:26 am   Permalink

some photos of tahitian village 1960 i lived next door at the wai kakian apts with my new wife i just graduated from high school in detroit got married and set out to sunny ca. setteled in downey by my friends from my old neighborhood,never saw a tiki befor or knew what they were,the village was the most magical place i ever saw and went there every chance i got, i got a job on the assembly line at bop plant, short for buick, olds, pontiac.,idrove back to live in detroit via route 66 in a 54 merc. pulling a small trailer with our belongings in tow. including a tiki from the village, im sure its an origal oceanic piece. i did buy it though ther is a story behind it

View Profile of honrbl1 Send a personal message to honrbl1  Email honrbl1 Goto the website of honrbl1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-08 12:46 pm   Permalink

hornbl1

Thanks for posting those photos and your story. Any chance you could scan the last two for a better look? Would like to here more about you Tiki. Do you still have it?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-08 1:08 pm   Permalink

Golly, that first Tiki looks brand-spanking new - like Milan Guanko just carved it yesterday!

Are THESE the apartments you lived in...

... "The Waikikian" in the background of this photo?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
honrbl1

Posted: 2012-10-16 09:54 am   Permalink

yes thats where i lived, and i still have the tiki. i sealed and varnished the wood several times through the years,i treated it as a treasure. i also carve tikis. i have quit a collection and have sold a truck load in mich before i moved to florida.i have photos of the apts. in ca. and more of the tahitan village that i will share with you....phil

View Profile of honrbl1 Send a personal message to honrbl1  Email honrbl1 Goto the website of honrbl1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-16 10:52 am   Permalink

Phil,

Thanks for posting. Look forward to seeing photos of your Tiki and the Tahitian Village.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
honrbl1

Posted: 2012-10-24 10:00 am   Permalink

these were taken in 60 or 61 with my wife and i walking around the beautiful grounds i cant tell you how enchanting it was just so much to see, the two photos together black and white in the pool where i lived my two good buddy's came to visit me this is at the Waikikien apts, im in the center. very good memories!.....Phil

honrbl1

Posted: 2012-10-24 10:06 am   Permalink

also the photo off my tiki before i applied a finish to it . my bike won a trophy at cobo hall in detroit witha paint job from california by the one and only Larry Watson, hall of famer,died about a year ago, yeah these were the days!.........Phil

Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 11:17 am   Permalink

Phil, Thank you so much for sharing your photos and memories. That bike and the tiki are CLASSIC. OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 1:33 pm   Permalink

These photos are unbelievable!
And I was gonna say that the paint job on that bike was special. Doesn't surprise me that Watson painted it! Still have the bike?

Can't wait for more pictures of The Tahitian Village!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-24 10:59 pm   Permalink

Nice! The tall Milan Guanko is impressive, and the torch-studded outriggers to the left of the tongue Tiki are cool. One can even see the sign a little. Are those black and white photos of your friends lying on the Book of Tiki?

Show us some of YOUR carvings.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

Hey Hornbl1 those are the most amazing photos it was wonderful to see how cool it looked back in its heyday, I only got to see it at the end but it still had that vibe that it had once been a paradise. I was lucky enough to save the bridge Tiki carvings and some other items while they were demoing the place and am still fascinated by it.

Thanks so much great thread everyone,

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-10 2:15 pm   Permalink

Great new additions to this thread, awesome vintage car show shot!
Larry Watson was one cool dude, he and I lived on King Ave. and was one of my circa '70 newspaper route customers (tipped good every Christmas), also did lot's of iconic work for local hero Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
honrbl1

Posted: 2013-01-31 1:30 pm   Permalink

its been awhile iv been very busy carving every day, and finding and hauling logs back to my liar and trying to find an outlet as so many of us are but will post some photos of my work soon, thank you so much for your input of my tahitan village pics, they are very old but i value them there a wonderful time of my life....Phil

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 5:57 pm   Permalink

Got this postcard showing the pool area and rental units at the Tahitian Village.

Back of the card.

Some of the photos posted by hornbl1 show similar scenes by the pool.

What a place!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation