[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Various projects-updated 5/8
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Various projects-updated 5/8
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 11:23 am   Permalink

Dig it!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-05-08 11:41 am   Permalink

That's it, get all that eclectic goodness in one place!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 6:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the pictures of your other tikis! I love them. I can imagine how hard to carve the potting soil ones but can't beat that price and I agree, the texture is excellent.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-14 6:42 pm   Permalink

Greetings, All. I haven't been on here in forever, but I have finally gotten around to doing a few projects that I have long wanted to tackle, and wanted to share. You can see them both in the photos. One is my large, Witco inspired concrete tiki fountain. It stands five feet tall. He has a free standing basin at his feet rather than the cascading bowls that most Witco fountains had, because of the technical issues of working with concrete. The other is my reproduction Witco fire dancers. I just finished this yesterday and was so fired up about getting it on the wall that I have done so without getting it framed yet. If anyone has any questions about the making of these things, I will be happy to answer.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-14 7:59 pm   Permalink

Aloha Gwen!

Thanks for the update on your work! I missed your hypertufa tiki pieces until now (and never heard of hypertufa until now... uh oh, I feel an exploration into a new media coming on... but I digress...)

They look great! I love how you worked your first hypertufa piece into your amazing triptych painting! Or was it the other way around? Which one came first?

The fountain looks fabulous! (here's a dumb question) It's an actual fountain? (you don't have to answer that) Was it hard working out the fountain logistics with concrete?

The Witco fire dancers look great! What sort of framing are you considering for them?

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-14 8:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, Eric. The tiki came before painting. Yes, the fountain is functional, or will be. I made the drain hole in the basin kind of small, so it can't handle a large volume of water. I have found, alas, that small pumps don't have enough oomph to lift water that high, and larger pumps move more water than the drain can handle. There is a third pump I will be trying which may strike the perfect medium- otherwise I will have to redo the basin. Live and learn. So yes, working out the logistics of it all were a little challenging. A big issue is that despite my best efforts to keep the weight down, that is still one SERIOUSLY heavy tiki. I hope to make another in the months to with a much larger hollow at the core. Live and learn.....
I want the frame for the fire dancers to be just like the original Witco ones- simple, narrow wood.

BTW, want to add that the fountain is not actually hypertufa, but rather a mix of two parts vermiculite to one part portland cement. It is lighter than hypertufa.

[ This Message was edited by: Gwen 2014-03-14 21:19 ]

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 8:03 pm   Permalink

Me like, a lot
Kool room fo sho
What's in the TV? I can't make it out...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-15 10:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-15 20:03, hang10tiki wrote:
Me like, a lot
Kool room fo sho
What's in the TV? I can't make it out...

Jon

There is a snake in there, Jon. Only one channel, but always cool.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-17 10:12 am   Permalink

That's awesome.....

These mugs would be kool in THE TV CAGE

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2014-03-17 10:23 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-17 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-17 10:12, hang10tiki wrote:
That's awesome.....

These mugs would be kool in THE TV CAGE

Yes! Especially the cobra one...

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2014-03-17 10:23 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation