FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Rum Dog's Tiki Cactus Garden project for Mojave Oasis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Rum Dog's Tiki Cactus Garden project for Mojave Oasis
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 10:38 am   Permalink

This one talks and jaw moves with a motion decector.

The Tiki Cactus Garden becomes a magical spot after sunset.

This is my favorite photo

[/quote]

View Profile of Rum Dog Send a personal message to Rum Dog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-16 11:02 am   Permalink

Very cool cacti Rum Dog!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 11:11 am   Permalink

That's really fun. The atmosphere they create is very desert and cool for such a hot place, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-16 11:53 am   Permalink

You west coast kids get to have all the fun. The cacti look great, as did your setup!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-16 3:26 pm   Permalink

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO cool!

Did you make the tikis and the giant moai too? I need a giant Moai! If you made them please tell how! Thanks in advance.

Mahalo,
Lori

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 3:27 pm   Permalink

They looked even better in person!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

Awesome job and that paint treatment with the sand was perfect!!

One mighty-fine looking display. I'm sure fun was had by all who visited.

Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-16 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-09 21:46, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

I predict some fire...

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy knows I like to make smoke & fire out in the desert.

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Everyone was very appreciative at Mojave which made all the effort to put it together well worth it.

I only made the cactus tikis. Papermache projects are very forgiving. If you make a mistake or don't like the way it looks you just remove it and try again.

The cost of supplies is about $30. Don't buy spray paint. I made the mistake of buying some different green shades but did not like the look. The 99 cent craft paint worked much better and of course is much more economical.

I purchased the Moai statues from Benson's Imports in Huntington Beach, CA. They are a molded plastic and do not have a back to them. I use them in my backyard near the pool. I think they are way over priced at $85 each. Shipping might be high due to their size. I was able to go to their warehouse.

Here is their website.

http://www.bambooandthatchetc.com/product_info.php?cPath=611_599&products_id=2026

View Profile of Rum Dog Send a personal message to Rum Dog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 10:02 am   Permalink

Thanks for the link, Rumdog!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-18 10:31 am   Permalink

One follow up question. Paper mache woulnd't hold up in the outdoors, would it? I'm imagining you'd need to seal it. Otherwise it would eventually "melt away."

Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 7:28 pm   Permalink

The thick paint mixed with a lot of sand gives it more of a stucco type finish. Many of the people at Mojave Oasis thought they were made with cement. They were surprised when I told them it was a form of paper mache base.

The pool noodles also provided a more solid surface to apply the newspaper and final layer of paper towels.
I tried to minimize any soft or hollow spots which could more easily tear or trap moisture.

The base is probably where they would most need a sealer, especially if located in an area where they could get wet a lot or be sitting in a pool of water.

They will not melt away. I image they will fade and get scraped up if they fall over. They will need a little touch up paint now and then.

I figured they would get a little roughed up in transit. I unbelievably took everything for the camp site to Mojave in my Ford Explorer Sport. (That's the smaller two door model.) Every available space was untilzed.

The picture above best shows the stucco finish but it also shows a little damage. I brought a little repair kit with me and spent a little time touching them up Saturday morning.

I won't really be able to tell you how the wear and tear will be in the future. I ended up trading or giving them all away so that I didn't have to strap anything to the top of my SUV for the drive home. (This is one of the reasons why I took so many pictures of them).

Rum Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-18 7:33 pm   Permalink

For those of you who did not catch this link in other threads, here is a video of Lost in Paradise for the Mojave Oasis event. My Tiki Cactus Garden is featured at the 10:38 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4CUlSNdS9E

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation