FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 5:38 pm   Permalink

I am in full agreement with ATP here.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-09 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-09 16:30, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
OK here's my 2 cents worth. What could be more 'tiki' than the scenes in Kim Novac's exotica boutique in Bell Book and Candle?

And I know it's old hat but the whole of the footage in South Pacific where Billis takes Lt. Joe Cable (of Cable, Cable & Cable) to the bore's tooth ceremonial is quintessential polynesia pop. That little hut in the hills where Liat is presumably deflowered by Joe Cable could be your perfect tiki bar and in fact many years later I tried to recreate the pivoting doors of that hut in my own tiki space - in this photo.

Well Mr Howell (those doors do look great) to be contrarian, those scenes in "Bell Book and Candle" are a good example of
Primitive Art & Mid-Century Modern, but not Tiki.

And "South Pacific" is a great example of South Sea's cinema style, which we associate with Tiki, but it in fact is a desperate genre
one that just may be more Tiki then Tiki, because they depict actual Island locations & exotic situations
rather then a recreation of actually visiting those places in a bar or restaurant.

Thanks Matt, People, Matt Reese is always right!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-06-09 20:22 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-09 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-09 20:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

OK here's my 2 cents worth. What could be more 'tiki' than the scenes in Kim Novac's exotica boutique in Bell Book and Candle?

And I know it's old hat but the whole of the footage in South Pacific where Billis takes Lt. Joe Cable (of Cable, Cable & Cable) to the bore's tooth ceremonial is quintessential polynesia pop. That little hut in the hills where Liat is presumably deflowered by Joe Cable could be your perfect tiki bar and in fact many years later I tried to recreate the pivoting doors of that hut in my own tiki space - in this photo.

Well Mr Howell (those doors do look great) to be contrarian, those scenes in "Bell Book and Candle" are a good example of

And "South Pacific" is a great example of South Sea's cinema style, which we associate with Tiki, but it in fact is a desperate genre
one that just may be more Tiki then Tiki, because they depict actual Island locations & exotic situations
rather then a recreation of actually visiting those places in a bar or restaurant.

I stand corrected, however as I always say, tiki is in the eye of the beerholder.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 12:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-09 21:41, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
I stand corrected, however as I always say, tiki is in the eye of the beerholder.

Very magnanimous of you sir, But here is where I stand my ground on the matter
I am older then many TC members & I grew up in the era of Tiki which was very much a part
of California pop culture threw the 50s & 60s.

Tiki has defined roots,history & a style that is not open to re-imagining & then still being able to call it "Tiki"
sure everyone is free to do whatever they like, mix it up, reinterpret it into something else
but at that point it is no longer Tiki, It has become a mash-up of Tiki style and whatever else you have thrown in the mix
and that is fine, just don't call it "Tiki"

I have heard from some members here that "Tiki is what you make it" I would say to them "you could not be more wrong"
because they are ignoring the history of it all.

The perception I am getting from many here that Tiki is just a style that you can cut & paste into whatever you like
but at that point it is no longer Tiki because you have stripped it of its roots & history.

Thurston Howell IV please don't think this is a reaction to your post alone as I will be making this point from now on
it's time we start stirring this boat straight & true.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-06-10 01:11 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 01:08 am   Permalink

Yes boss.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 08:55 am   Permalink

Please Blue Kahuna, change the title to "Best Movies to watch in your Tiki Bar" or something like that and end this old and tired discussion!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 10:57 am   Permalink

Here's Bongofury's take from a few years back.

He is the expert on "Tiki" film.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-06-10 2:57 pm   Permalink

All this controversy is getting to me. I need a drink. Now see what you've done!

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 8:22 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-06-09 20:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

[/quote

Here's a thought... South Pacific, in it's original incarnation as Michener's novel, Tales of the South Pacific, helped create the thirst for tiki that blossomed into a full fledged mid-century movement... when the film version was released, tiki culture was in full swing... the boar's tooth ceremony scene depicts a location that never existed (the island of Bali Hai), just as tiki establishments of the day did... some of them also named Bail Hai. That scene is pretty pastiche-y polynesian, as it blends several different types of tiki art together to create its exotic mood. The scene was art-directed by Lyle Wheeler, who also decorated the legendary Aloha Jhoe's in Palm Springs!

To my mind, this scene, from what's depicted on screen, to the behind the scenes connections, fall right in line with what tiki bars and restaurants were doing at the time! Very tiki to me!

Funny about Bell, Book and Candle... there are some great PNG pieces in Kim Novak's primitive art gallery, and then it later becomes "Flowers of the Sea" (I think that's what it's called) a shop that sells, among other things, fish floats and other nautical jetsam... if both inventories had been mixed, it could have been a tiki shop!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 07:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-10 00:14, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Very magnanimous of you sir, But here is where I stand my ground on the matter
I am older then many TC members & I grew up in the era of Tiki which was very much a part
of California pop culture threw the 50s & 60s.

Lucky bastard.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 07:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-05 20:53, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Before John-O names off a bunch of 1940's crap we'll never get around to watching, I cast my vote for:

Bikini A Go Go!

AHAHAHAHAAHAHA. I haven't thought of or seen that movie since it came out. We had Skinemax at the time, and it was called Bikini A Go Go, how could I not watch it? At first, I almost turned it off, as it had that terrible Skinemax vibe, but I stuck it out, and it was hilarious. Totally worth watching.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 07:58 am   Permalink

Bigbro, thanks for I Am Cuba. As a...Photographer/DP/Camera guy, I loved it, and your commentary, and all I've found about it.

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-11 08:24 am   Permalink

Like it or not.....Rapa Nui

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110944/

Watch the trailer if you have not seen it

[ This Message was edited by: bongofury 2013-06-11 08:25 ]

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 08:24, bongofury wrote:
Like it or not.....Rapa Nui

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110944/

Watch the trailer if you have not seen it

[ This Message was edited by: bongofury 2013-06-11 08:25 ]

How do I not remember this?

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-11 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 09:21, Hale Tiki wrote:
How do I not remember this?

I'm resisting the urge to put some sort of drinking-related comment here... ha!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation