FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is the quintessential tiki movie?
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 10:24, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-06-11 09:21, Hale Tiki wrote:
How do I not remember this?

I'm resisting the urge to put some sort of drinking-related comment here... ha!

To be fair, I was 12. And in the interest of full disclosure, Kon Tiki is a little fuzzy for me. I may or may not have been drunk on Trader Vic's Punch when I saw it on the 1st. But in my defense, I was asked to finish it off, which was a little more than half a large McDonald's cup.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 12:10 pm   Permalink

The late Roger Ebert called Rapa Nui a guilty pleasure

Roger Ebert: Rapa Nui review

And isn't guilty pleasure an element of tiki?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 12:21 pm   Permalink

How guilty are we talking about.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dax

Posted: 2013-06-11 2:03 pm   Permalink

Is it wrong to put Donovan's Reef on the list?

View Profile of Dax Send a personal message to Dax      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 14:03, Dax wrote:

I believe I already have.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dax

Posted: 2013-06-11 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 14:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

Quite so, fair point.

View Profile of Dax Send a personal message to Dax      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-11 3:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-11 14:19, Dax wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-06-11 14:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Quote:

Quite so, fair point.

It's got drinking, fighting, Bars with more booze & Tikis!
My typical visit to a Tiki Bar......

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 04:43 am   Permalink

From Roger Ebert's review of Rapa Nui:

""Rapa Nui" slips through the National Geographic Loophole. This is the Hollywood convention which teaches us that brown breasts are not as sinful as white ones, and so while it may be evil to gaze upon a blond Playboy centerfold and feel lust in our hearts, it is educational to watch Polynesian maidens frolicking topless in the surf. This isn't sex; it's geography.
For years in my liberal youth I thought this loophole was racist, an evil double standard in which white women were protected from exposure while "native" women were cruelly stripped of their bras, not to mention the equal protection of the MPAA. While watching "Rapa Nui," in which there are dozens if not hundreds of wonderful bare breasts on view, I have changed my mind. Since womens' breasts are the most aesthetically pleasing part of the human anatomy, it is only a blessing if your culture celebrates them."

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-12 04:51 am   Permalink

elvis presley's "girl happy " - the brawl in the tiki bar rules!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 7:37 pm   Permalink

In my late entrance to Tiki Central and all things tiki I’ve learned (whether correct or not) is that the definition of tiki has evolved. There is a misunderstanding here but in a sense most people are right, in a sense. Knowing the diverse definitions of “tiki” would probably clear many things up. If I were a dictionary it would read:
ti•ki
1. (in Polynesian mythology) the first man on earth. tiki (Maori), ti’i (Tahitian). Note in Cook Island Tiki was the 1st women who died. Important Polynesian connection is the god Maui, found throughout Polynesia and whose full name is Maui-tikitiki (Maori), Maui-ti’iti’i (Samoan), Maui-ki’iki’i (Hawaiian). The god Maui created the islands. Note: the Hawaiian island of Maui was named after this god.
2. (in Polynesian cultures) a large carved image, as of a god or ancestor, from wood or stone tiki (Marquesan, Tuamotuan), ki’i (Hawaiian) or small craving as a pendant around the neck he-tiki (Maori). “That is a tiki.” Tiki also refers to the arts in general as in to sculpt, draw or design as in tapa or tattoos. Underlying uses (common for many words in Polynesia) of the word tiki are fertility, virility (these two definitions are probably derived from some of the tiki gods themselves) creativity, and abundance.
3. (style) derived from mid-20th century Polynesian Pop western sub-culture where tiki symbolized this cool & hip style that takes its roots from the cultures of the Pacific isles (see above). Returning soldiers from the WWII Pacific Theater are attributed to helping form this pop culture. Examples of this cultural lifestyle: tiki bars, exotic drinks in tiki mugs, exotica music, black velvet erotic paintings, home luau parties & Polynesian Pop architecture. “He’s so tiki.” Now referred to as a tiki movement because its roots from the recognition of this mid-century style and the crusade to revive it in the 90s till present. This current tiki revival also uses the shorter term, Poly Pop. Not to be confused with the prewar South Seas style (also referred to as pre-tiki) which is an earlier Western style of Polynesian influence represented by Hawaiian music (wiki-wacky) and dance (hula hula), the widespread use of the ukulele, South Seas restaurants (with palm & pearl themed decor) & popular South Seas sarong films. This earlier sub culture did help form the mid-century movement with the early formation of chain restaurants like Don the Beachcomber & Trader Vic’s.
4. (in Western culture) Any tiki image from authentic ancient oceanic island cultures (see definition #2) to modern tiki images made anywhere, some craved faithfully from wood, others mass produced from chalk, plastic or paper. Also tikis in art such as black velvet, oil on canvas, and computer generated images found on the World Wide Web that can be also be mass produced. Today items like decorative Melanesian masks and large Easter Island (Rapa nui) Moai are all referred to as tiki in this definition.
5. (general) Modern Anything with Oceanic cultural influence, from real Pacific island cultures to earlier (“pre-tiki”) South Seas clubs, South Seas movies to later Polynesian Pop i.e. tiki restaurants, tiki bars, to So Cal Beach culture to today’s Poly Pop commercial media images, etc. Not just carved or painted tiki images but all stereotypical Oceanic or South Seas symbols such as hula dance, sarongs, grass huts, outrigger canoes, surfing, the luau, exploding volcanoes, erotic wahine grass skirt images, etc. “That is so tiki.”

Now with that established what is a tiki movie? From definition #1 (the gods) none was made but interestingly Spielberg did buy the rights to produce “Maui the Demigod” from a book publisher. As one knows not all story rights get produced into films.

From definition #2 this is where South Seas Cinema comes in. There are many South Seas movies set on a Pacific isle with at least a “tiki worship” sub-theme. There are South Seas films that have nice and terrible tikis in the background but they are only set dressing. But when it comes to the quintessential tiki movie in this definition I agree with BongoFury, RAPA NUI is an essential film to bring to the table. Here, the moai, are not the background, not a sub-plot but the center piece of the film. There are some others films that have tiki as central to the story like the “cursed” tiki pendants or desktop idols but they don’t compare to the production values of RAPA NUI.

Now to the crutch of the tiki definitions, #3 as pertaining to TC “Celebrating the Classic and Modern Polynesian Pop” with this definition BigBroTiki & Atomic Tiki Punk are right, there are no tiki movies but I would love to see one. Tiki, like the South Seas movies, was an escape from real life and real work environs not full time. So it would hard to write a full movie but it might be worth a try. Atomic Tiki Punk & BongFury (in an older post) did mention a few good scenes that took place in a mid-century Polynesian Pop sets that are great scenes and are essential to this discussion but unfortunately they are not whole movies.

Definition #4 would include the same movies mentioned in definition #2 and #3 because there are tikis involved. Definition #5 also, with a broader scope of films, mostly South Seas movies. In these broad definitions of tiki my favorite tiki movies are a tie between Michener’s HAWAII and both the Brando & Gibson BOUNTY films.

Of course this is my opinion and this might set off a hell of a lot more to discuss. Sorry for writing a book in a forum. My original post was even long but I thought I would spare your sanity.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-06-13 19:50 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 8:30 pm   Permalink

creativenative, I think you did a pretty good job of laying it out
number 3 is the most relevant to a definition of "Tiki" that we are talking about here
in my mind we need more then just a few Tikis in the background to quantify the idea of a "Tiki Movie"

It should be part of the story in setting or character, like the movies we suggested before
I find it very interesting that "Film Noir" made the most use of Tiki locations.

And a movie like "Rapa Nui" an historical drama depicting the early history of the people of Easter Island & the Moais
(brought to us by the director of "Waterworld") & number 2 on your list, would fit in that category with "Kon Tiki"

On a side note: the folks that brought you "Kon Tiki" so impressed Hollywood that they have been brought on board
to make the next "Pirates of the Carribean" movie.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-06-13 20:32 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-13 10:37 pm   Permalink

Glad to hear that the directors of "Kon Tiki" are getting such a big break, they are really nice guys and they deserve it. Hope the big budget doesn't spoil them. Then again, they probably got hired because they showed how much they could do with so little money.

Matt, I agree with your dictionary defs for the most part, only that in my view, point 5 is not an example of how the term "Tiki" has evolved, but how it has DE-volved (I realize you are not saying anything else, just stating the facts) My much repeated point is that on a site termed Tiki CENTRAL, we should strive to not be swayed by public indifference, but stay our course of telling the tales of true Tiki.

When I look at my "Evolution of Polynesian Pop" chart published in 2000 in the BOT now...

...I would narrow down the "Tiki" period even further now, to really be starting around 1955 (til around 1965), with the real peak of the style happening between 1959 - 1964

That places most South Sea movies in the Pre-Tiki period. Even "South Pacific", which was so important and instrumental to the flowering of Tiki, is not a "Tiki movie" per se. It is an undeniable fact that without all the concepts perpetuated by South Sea movies, Tiki could not exist, but that does not make them Tiki. A good Tiki establishment was like a bamboo hut film set, with fake waterfalls, rainstorm special effects, and painted backdrops - all Hollywood concepts. But all this was merely SETTING THE STAGE for our protagonist Tiki to appear in his best light. Without him, it would not be "Tiki", just another Polynesian Pop charade - which, of course, we appreciate as the proper environment for the species.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-06-14 07:54 am   Permalink

Watch for the next issue of Tiki Magazine's South Seas Drive-In Theater to see which "Tiki" movies I will revue for you all.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-14 09:13 am   Permalink

That's great that they've been tapped to do the next pirate movie. Everyone did such a good job on Kon Tiki, the acting, the lighting, the sets, the props, the everything. I can't say enough nice things about it.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 02:35 am   Permalink

Thanks guys for the encouraging words. Being a tiki novice it is great to hear constructive comments from a couple people I really respect. Ironically the stuff I left out were more comments on definition #3 because after all this is the definition for Tiki Central. I also tried to write a plot for what would be a Tiki Movie and of course it was Film Noir. It started pretty good than I soiled it and went crazy putting in "Beach Party" and "South Seas" movie elements in the story, but it was fun to try. Maybe we should start a new thread "Writing a True Tiki Movie" and we could help each other out with the plot.

I also commented on, at times, direct remarks from you Atomic but I also mentioned that you were like TC's Sergeant of Arms and boy at times we need to be reminded what is truly tiki. We need to stay on track and not "DE-volve" the term "tiki" in TC. I just went to the home page to cut and paste TC¡¦s sub-title: Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop then I realized that this important sub-title was underlined maybe not as an emphasis but as a link and sure enough I clicked it and low and behold the purpose of this forum is clear. If any reader hasn't read it-READ IT. If you old timers haven¡¦t read it in a while READ IT again. I will every once in a while.

I also mentioned the big irony or paradox in South Seas Cinema which is that while South Seas movies portrays the real Pacific Islands and the special ones were filmed on location with native consultants but for the matter of saving money most South Seas films were filmed in a So Cal back lot or soundstage with for the most part bad homework by producers, directors, art directors and set dressers. The results are what Big Bro started to mention: "A good Tiki establishment was like a bamboo hut film set, with fake waterfalls, rainstorm special effects, and painted backdrops - all Hollywood concepts" in other words a South Seas movie. Two different genres with a lot of similarities. Besides the obvious Oceanic connection the settings are similar, one with a purposeful mix of island cultures the other a mix of island cultures because of lazy research.

Finally I was surfing throughout TC all last night following links to different threads and it was fascinating. Now for fun follow me (for those who uses email to read recent posts) to different threads because I¡¦ve been saving comments till now. Next stop Pele Paul's "the U.S. Navy in WWII and Tiki culture"
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45327&forum=1&start=30 Having fun but let me go shower before I continue. Lucky I'm in Hawaii, most you guys are sleeping.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation