FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Here goes nothing...ash for the first time...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Here goes nothing...ash for the first time...
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-28 10:37 am   Permalink

Yeah, GROG, we get it.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Yeah, GROG, we get it.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Yeah, GROG, we get it.

DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-15 3:43 pm   Permalink

New carving done. Not tiki, but hey...

Had to take a break from the full body tiki - it's just too damn hot out there to set up everything, swing a mallet for a couple of hours, then clean up and tear down. It's much easier just to take a chunk of wood and the carving knife outside and sit quietly and carve.

Anyway, here's a few shots. The wood is aspen. It carved like soap - so nice...

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 10:51 pm   Permalink

Cool carvings! Amwesome Moai, and love how the skull's teeth are hilariously too big for his head!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-15 11:01 pm   Permalink

Cool carvings! Amwesome Moai, and love how the skull's teeth are hilariously too big for his head!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grimbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-16 03:26 am   Permalink

Great first carves. I dig them all. Keep up the great work.

Sam

View Profile of Grimbo Send a personal message to Grimbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-18 8:05 pm   Permalink

Awesome carvings, man. Welcome to TC. You got the chops! That little skull is cool. Too bad there's no Wood Aspen around here!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-22 06:12 am   Permalink

really like that skull...

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-23 10:14 am   Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement, folks.

Here's another one that I just finished. The idea was kicking around in my head and I KNOW I'd seen something like it here on TC, but I looked through post after post but was unable to find it. So...if it looks like one of yours, yes I probably got the idea from you. I'll add the proper acknowledgement(s) when the person whose idea I stole, er, I mean when the person who inspired me steps forward. Muchas gracias in advance.

The wood is aspen and his name is Ackbar. Any geeks in the audience will get the reference.

I thought the trails left by the bark beetles added some character so I left them in. I think they give a hint of moko...

Cheers!
David

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-09-25 11:39 am   Permalink

Here's another little one - about three and a half inches tall.

The stain isn't the color that I originally wanted - I grabbed the wrong can and had already started wiping it on before I realized that I had made a mistake. But then I started really digging it. It was a little dark so I lightened up the teeth and knocked off some highlights with the sandpaper. I really like how he turned out.

The weather's finally turning and getting to where it's nice enough to start swinging the mallet again, so I'll get back on my big(ger) guy and get him finished. My sister requested that I "carve something" for her for Christmas so I'm going to have to start thinking about that...

Anyhoo, here's the newest one:

Cheers!
David

DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-24 1:26 pm   Permalink

So it finally got cool enough to finish my first full body tiki, and he's also my largest so far, about two feet tall and eight inches in diameter. I tried to leave some of the divots left by the spikes on the feet of the tree trimmers, incorporating some and just leaving others in the middle of stuff. The middle of the log ended up drying out pretty bad and getting all stringy, making it a real bitch to sand/stain/seal...

Next up will be another larger one. I got a Lancelot for my grinder, so we'll see how that works out. The thing looks monumentally dangerous - I may be making my next post from the hospital.

Thanks for looking...

Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-25 1:07 pm   Permalink

Nice tikis. Be careful with the lancelot. I don't think it's dangerous but I had some trouble cutting at the correct angle. I used it to 'rough' out my last tiki and I wasn't happy with the cuts. It takes some practice.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-03 4:11 pm   Permalink

Excellent work DH, Love the level of detail you are getting right from the beginning. Yes, the hook knife was a Benzart suggestion and I'm Happy to see you using it and so well too. Also love the finish you are giving your pieces, Most Excellent work, Especially for a beginner although the term "beginner" does not seem to fit you well.. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-04 09:04 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

That Lancelot blade is awesome. I started on a three foot Moai and roughed it out with the Lancelot. That thing saved me many hours, if not days, of hogging out large swaths of wood. If you're good with a chainsaw you likely wouldn't see such a big difference, but if you're a mallet-swinger, it's like magic. Once you get the hang of it you can even get it to where it's not so rough. It's just not forgiving at all. If you let your mind wander for a split second, you've suddenly got a quarter inch deep gouge in your work. Great tool for the job, though. I've also put a Holey Galahad on my Xmas list - that looks like it might be a nice compromise between speed and forgiveness...

Cheers!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation