FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Couple new ones that I forgot to post when I finished them...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Couple new ones that I forgot to post when I finished them...
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-11-04 09:05 am   Permalink

By the way, where has GROG been? Did I miss a memo? Haven't seen any posts from him in a while...

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-04 11:01 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, I forgot one thing about the Lancelot, Excellent tool btw. If you want to make it better and easier to control add a good (not china cheep)"router speed control" The che=ap ones will bog down your grinder where the better, higher amp ones will give you more torque with the slower speeds.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/mlcs-9410-20-amp-heavy-duty-router-speed-control/252796464.html?listingId=296428772

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-18 1:52 pm   Permalink

Ok, let's see...I did a Moai for my sister for Christmas. She actually requested "something that you carve" when I asked her what she wanted - that made me feel good. He's just shy of three feet tall and eight inches in diameter. So here's that one:

And I just finished this one a few days ago. Also three feet tall and eight inches in diameter. It took the stain way different than the Moai. Same stain, same tree. Strange. I thought I'd do a step-by-step on how to do one of these:

Step 1, get a log:

Step 2, carve it into a tiki:

And while I was in Kauai, I got a souvenir. This is within about five minutes of completion:

That's about it for now. Starting on a new log. A buddy cut down a big ash tree in his back yard and gave me whatever I wanted, so I've got a bunch of it. That stuff is heavy. Starting with a two-footer to see how it carves - I've never tried it before. Anybody have any tips on carving ash? Seems pretty hard and it's drying really, really fast - hopefully I can get into it while it's still a little green.

Cheers, all!

[ This Message was edited by: DHTiki 2014-02-18 13:57 ]

View Profile of DHTiki Send a personal message to DHTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 5:11 pm   Permalink

If you are using a chisel and mallet, that ash will give you a workout!

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 5:32 pm   Permalink

Looks good!

Super smooth finish on that moai--I really like it!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Republic
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-03 10:23 am   Permalink

DH, thanks for the comment on my blog Tiki Republic. Glad to see someone else from the valley doin good work. You probably already know...the Az. Aloha Fest is this weekend at the Tempe Town Lake.

View Profile of Tiki Republic Send a personal message to Tiki Republic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 10:29 am   Permalink

go deeper!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-03 2:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

Totally forgot the Aloha Fest was this weekend. Going to the Viva Phoenix music fest downtown on Friday night, but hopefully will make it to Aloha Fest, maybe Sunday.

I SOOO wanted to go deeper on that one, but I got it to that point and thought 'damn, that looks pretty good' and then I didn't want to mess it up by going deeper. Just couldn't make myself do it. This next ash one will likely be done with mostly my Lancelot and Holey Galahad due to the hardness of the wood, so I'll use power tools to work on my trepidation about going deep.

LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 2:58 pm   Permalink

Love your stuff! Super smooth.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-30 1:43 pm   Permalink

I wanted this one to kinda have the 'old' vibe, so I let it sit out and dry and crack. One of the cracks got a bit out of hand, but I don't think it'll go much, if any deeper. This'll be an indoor-only piece, so at least the sun won't bake it into a dozen pieces. About two feet tall and eight inches in diameter. The wood is ash. Ash is really hard, but not nearly as hard as the palo verde I've done. Anyway, here ya go...

Cheers!

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-31 10:21 am   Permalink

I like the old vibe on your last piece. Keep posting pictures, nice carves.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 4:11 pm   Permalink

Couple more done...

Cheers!

Fastbackadam
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 12:36 am   Permalink

The moai and the ku both look really nice. I like the smooth finish. What are you using on em? Keep it up!

View Profile of Fastbackadam Send a personal message to Fastbackadam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DHTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 09:22 am   Permalink

Thanks! The moai has two coats of Minwax semi-gloss poly, and the other one is two coats of Minwax spar. I find that if I go to three coats on the poly, it can get to the "encased in plastic" looking stage, but sometimes two doesn't seem to be enough. You can never tell how those stupid palms are going to take finish.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation