FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Kohala Bay Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Kohala Bay Rum
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-07 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-07 08:33, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
Sorry about that. The Bum needed Kohala bay for his symposium and I answered the call.

There were a couple of 1.75L bottles on the shelf when I was there about 3 weeks ago.

Oh, no worries at all, I laugh about it! I'll be out there again. Glad you got what you (and the Bum) needed.

Cheers!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-07 11:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-03 19:27, TikiRog wrote:
Hi folks. I am going to be in Orlando in December. Is there are stores nearby that sell the Kohaloa Bay or Coruba rums? Thanks!

Ive seen Coruba at some of the Total Wine chain stores, there are some in Orlando. I believe their inventory is searchable via their website, so you could check ahead of time re what's in stock and perhaps call them to reserve a bottle if the branch near your hotel carries it...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-08 06:25 am   Permalink

I agree, the TW web site is pretty good at showing what they have in stock. They also show you if surrounding stores have the product.

Now if we can only get them to improve their special ordering, and get them to stock a few more of the specialty rums we need, like Hamilton's. It kills me that they stock the Berry's line, but not Hamilton. They do, however, routinely carry three versions of the Koloa rums.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiRog

Posted: 2015-10-12 4:35 pm   Permalink

Many thanks for the great tips, I will certainly try to get to get to Total Wines. We are doing the Mouse, so Aku Aku may be little too mature for my 12 year old (though I'd be embarrassed to say how many bars he's actually been in), so it will be Trader Sam"s Grotto for me

View Profile of TikiRog Send a personal message to TikiRog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 7:39 pm   Permalink

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but Roy's is awesome. The last time I was there I picked up Kohala Bay, Coruba and Hamilton 151. Now we just need to get them to stock Hamilton 86.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 12:34 pm   Permalink

Some bad news to report:

Kohala Bay is apparently unavailable for several months. Manager Kern Mattei told me that the supply line got cut off at the distillery, and The Mai-Kai can't get any more from their distributor. They'll probably use Coruba in the meantime.

However, I did hear from one blog reader in town for the Miami Rum Festival who said he found Kohala Bay at both Roy's in Fort Pierce and Sunset Corners in Miami. So at least it hasn't disappeared off store shelves yet. But I would probably recommend stocking up.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-04-14 1:44 pm   Permalink

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I posted somewhere recently how I tried to order from Sunset but they wouldn't ship to TX. My last bottle is dangerously low so I stopped making Mai Kai tributes til I was able to replenish. Jim, Frank, somebody, help a brotha out!!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 8:14 pm   Permalink

HH- Kohala Bay is almost certainly produced by Wray & Nephew/Appleton. The label states the KB company is in Kingston, and the label makes reference to “the fertile valley of the black river parish of St. Elizabeth, Jamaica. … Here, Kohala Bay is hand-blended slowly, carefully, and in small batches.” Black River is the capital of St. Elizabeth Parish. W&N/Appleton's offices & HQ are in Kingston, while Appleton's largest distillery is located in the northern part of St Elizabeth Parish, near Maggoty. The product is likely sold off in bulk and is bottled here in the US. I wonder if W&N are cutting off the supply of this fine rum?

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2016-04-14 20:18 ]

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-14 11:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-14 20:14, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
The product is likely sold off in bulk and is bottled here in the US. I wonder if W&N are cutting off the supply of this fine rum?

[ This Message was edited by: CincyTikiCraig 2016-04-14 20:18 ]

Just in case it is I ordered a few bottles from Sunset. It stung, but I don't want to put off trying this stuff any longer.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-15 1:42 pm   Permalink

We took a trip from D.C. To Fort Lauderdale two weeks ago to go on a cruise. Stopped at Roy's on the way down and picked up three bottles of Kohala Bay and a few other rums. Really great store. They had a case or two left when I was there.

Luck!

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-15 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-14 23:30, PalmtreePat wrote:
Just in case it is I ordered a few bottles from Sunset. It stung, but I don't want to put off trying this stuff any longer.

How'd that shipping treat you?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-15 11:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-15 14:51, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-04-14 23:30, PalmtreePat wrote:

Not only did it eat my lunch, it made me throw away the trash.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-16 08:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-15 14:51, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

Not only did it eat my lunch, it made me throw away the trash.

Considering the weight (3.75 pounds per 1.75L bottle), and it's cross-country, I didn't think it was THAT bad. It costs north of $12 to ship a mug from CA to FL. Shipping for two bottles of Kohala was $26 if I remember, you're also not paying CA sales tax, so that knocks about $6 off the total effectively making the shipping $20.

As the people that ship things regularly know, shipping is expensive. I think we tend to get used to free shipping on Amazon, then when we actually have to pay, it's like "why so much?". Just MHO

Just make yourself a Zombie or two, you'll feel right as rain about it.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-16 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2016-04-14 20:14, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
I wonder if W&N are cutting off the supply of this fine rum?

From what I was told, it sounded temporary, so I'm not worried yet. Perhaps W&N had to shift production away from Kohala Bay to some of their more high-profile product lines for a short time. We'll see.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-16 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-16 08:42, Loki-Tiki wrote:
Considering the weight (3.75 pounds per 1.75L bottle), and it's cross-country, I didn't think it was THAT bad.

The real bummer is that to ship from Miami to Orlando is about the same cost for whatever reason: maybe $24. =\

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation