FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - The Hawaiian Cottage in Cherry Hill, NJ
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki History - The Hawaiian Cottage in Cherry Hill, NJ
sweetsadie79

Posted: 2005-11-28 07:35 am   Permalink

Hello,
My name is Sadie Lang. I have been trying to do some research on the Hawaiian Cottage, and I was very pleased to find this site. My father, Isadore "Eddie" Lang was the band leader there at some point. I am not sure exactly when. My godmother, Hazel Sweeney, was one of his singers and dancers. My father passed away on October 30, 1994 of cancer at the age of 78. I am looking for some memorabilia, and maybe a picture of him there. If anyone has any info, please contact me!! Thanks for your time!!!

[ This Message was edited by: sweetsadie79 2009-06-03 10:01 ]

View Profile of sweetsadie79 Send a personal message to sweetsadie79  Email sweetsadie79     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 2:17 pm   Permalink

This is one of those places that was around for ever and made the transition from pre-tiki to tiki to post-tiki. I have collected a lot of items from The Hawaiian Cottage over the years, so here we go.

PRE-TIKI

The linen bar postcard (one of my favorite old cards)

Postcard of the exterior after the utilities were placed underground, a much better look to the place - very progressive of the township of Cherry Hill.

Here is a close-up of the sign, the pineapple dome, and the coconut hut.

Another old souvenir photo frame

(It's always great to see the old photos of the tiki peeps)

TIKI

These postcards show the tiki period with the lighting, murals, and other Poly Pop items that were added to the interior. Some great shots.

POST-TIKI

Yikes, what happened! Looks like my Grandma's veranda.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 3:41 pm   Permalink

Hey, that goldfish table is one of the coolest table concepts I've ever seen. Are you sure that's POST- , not PRE-Tiki !!?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 6:10 pm   Permalink

Wow Dusty. Great collection of images. Seems you have a little of everything. Here's a couple of items to add to the history.

The black fog cutter style mug is reminiscent of your photo frame with the Geisha Room on it.

The back of the geisha mug with cold glaze gold paint and an Asian style arch.

The bottom of the mugs.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-11 18:10, uncle trav wrote:
Wow Dusty. Great collection of images. Seems you have a little of everything. Here's a couple of items to add to the history.

The black fog cutter style mug is reminiscent of your photo frame with the Geisha Room on it.

coincidentally i just bought a parrot mug from the hawaiian room today at an antique mall, when i was visiting my parents in the pOcOnOs.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-11 15:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Hey, that goldfish table is one of the coolest table concepts I've ever seen. Are you sure that's POST- , not PRE-Tiki !!?

Bigbro,

As usual, you are correct sir. The postcard from the Hawaiian Cottage was actually an old pre-tiki shot, as the back of the card lists the Merchantville location prior to the change to Cherry Hills. No wonder it reminded me of Grandma.

The fishbowl table is wicked cool, but how the heck did they maintain that??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 11:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Trav,

This is the postcard from the interior of the Geisha Room. Honestly, I don't know why anybody would choose to go to this room instead of the Hawaiian room!

DC

Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 12:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-11 23:10, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

Trav,

This is the postcard from the interior of the Geisha Room. Honestly, I don't know why anybody would choose to go to this room instead of the Hawaiian room!

DC

That's
f@cked up, y'all!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-12 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-05 11:07, puamana wrote:
Here's another postcard from the Hawaiian Cottage:

Beautiful place...note the lei covered folded napkins on every table. Such great attention to detail.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-11 22:40, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-04-11 15:41, bigbrotiki wrote:

The fishbowl table is wicked cool, but how the heck did they maintain that??

DC

goldfish are cheap.
they used to have goldfish tables at silk city back when is was called sweet & sour silk.
i am pretty sure if the smoke didn't kill the fish the bass from the music would have.
you can also get plastic battery operated fish which are pretty neat.
sweet & sour silk also used to serve flaming volcanos and monday night was $10 volcano night, or as i liked to think of it,"date night."

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 11:27 am   Permalink

Wow, with all the material here, we have evidence of possibly the first use of a "logo Geisha": As a mug, as an illustration, and as a statue in the restaurant. Where did Mimi's images go?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 11:38 am   Permalink

Is there anything left of this place?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 12:44 pm   Permalink

You're looking at it.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 3:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-12 11:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Where did Mimi's images go?

The dreaded Red Xs.

Here is the menu from Mimi's web site.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 11:34 am   Permalink

Going through my matchbooks and found a couple versions from the Hawaiian Cottage.

The first one is the older version.

The second one is a little more modern looking.

Both of the matchbooks had the Geisha Room graphics on the inside.

You can also see by comparing the two matchbooks that that the original "Hawaiian Room" became the "Hawaiian Outrigger Tiki Rooms".

Now that's what I call progress!

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation