FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - The Hawaiian Cottage in Cherry Hill, NJ
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki History - The Hawaiian Cottage in Cherry Hill, NJ
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 2:48 pm   Permalink

I've been busy with training for the fire academy but I had a little time to do some urban archeology and came across this little gem. Here's a special "prom menu" from the hawaiian cottage to add the post...

Enjoy and happy hunting!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 6:35 pm   Permalink

TikiNomad,

I had seen that prom menu before on ebay. All the drinks served were non-alcoholic. Here are some larger images (a bit fuzzy).

The signature drink in the parrot mug was called the Polly Pokii.

What a great prom night that must have been.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 6:48 pm   Permalink

Cool Dusty Cajun, thanks for posting better pic's.
I have that Hawaiian Cottage parrot mug buried somewhere in my collection....

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 12:27 pm   Permalink

Anyone know if this mug goes with the Cherry Hill NJ Hawaiian Cottage?
(found the picture out in the wilds of the internet, sans descriptive copy).

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-31 12:27, Tiki-Atari wrote:
Anyone know if this mug goes with the Cherry Hill NJ Hawaiian Cottage?
(found the picture out in the wilds of the internet, sans descriptive copy).

If I had to guess I would say yes. The mug is in the shape of the Fu Manchu style of mugs used by many restaurants the time.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 6:58 pm   Permalink

I have it on authority that the characters translate to something like
Liu Yi sheng
Evidently it doesn't make a great deal of sense in Japanese, first character is 6, second is doctor or a physician, and third is life. 2nd and 3rd together would be a medical student.
"6 Med students"
or something like
"6 Doctors" in Chinese, as well.

Anyone have any idea what that significance might be?

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 7:47 pm   Permalink

Maybe it was used to serve a Dr. Funk?

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 8:36 pm   Permalink

I have never heard of another Hawaiian Cottage restaurant, so I'm guessing the mug came from there.

The typed font also looks pretty close to the Hawaiian Cottage mug posted by Tiki David.

Don't know if that styles was in the Otagiri catalog?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 06:10 am   Permalink

LolTiki - That certainly seems to be a possibility, but I don't know what all the restaurant served.

Dusty Cajun - Seems pretty likely.

Perhaps this is the back of a Fu Manchu mug?

usmcss

Posted: 2011-04-17 09:11 am   Permalink

Just thought I would post this picture. On the left, Huey McCann and on the right my father Bob Perry.

Man those guys had class back then! Miss you dad!!!

View Profile of usmcss Send a personal message to usmcss  Goto the website of usmcss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-01 7:40 pm   Permalink

I recently acquired an old menu from the Hawaiian Cottage that has a description of the house drinks and some of the dinner specials. Some pretty funny stuff in the descriptions.

The Oahu Back-scratcher and "Exotic Specialties".

The Hawaiian Queen and The Hula drinks.

And of course Pollyanna, the signature drink with the souvenir parrot mug.

DC

rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-01 10:51 pm   Permalink

The Geisha Room was a part of the Hawaiian Cottage so that might explain the Japanese characters on the one mug.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-04 08:51 am   Permalink

Here is another interior postcard of the Hawaiian Cottage in its Tiki heyday.

Lots of ceiling lamps and more Witco on the walls.

DC

Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-17 2:00 pm   Permalink

Just found a video on YouTube. Unfortunately not a period video, but made of of passing scans of postcards, menus, and other imagery. I don't think it's all shown in this thread so here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0qXTDZwB4

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-19 6:12 pm   Permalink

Nice video, but my god, how much of this decor from closed restaurants across the country ended up in landfills? Sad to think of it, but also very glad sites like Tiki Central and festivals like Hukilau, Tiki Oasis, etc. help keep this great stuff alive. Just think, we're gonna all grow old with tiki cocktails in our hands! Seriously, does anyone ever think of leaving "tiki" behind at some point in our lives? I can't imagine it ever happening.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation