FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Big Kahuna's Tiki Shack
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-11-18 10:09 pm   Permalink

Aloha fellow Tiki people,

I worked on the fountain and the shelf last weekend. I attached styrofoam to the shelf and inserted pieces of greenery and Orchids on either side of the fountain. I also installed the fountain pump and an LED light that can be submerged. I am pleased at the results except it is a little difficult to see the water, I would like to get a different fountain nozzle, one that has a single flow instead of the wide, multi-stream one I have now. I think I can have a single stream one go higher and be more noticeable.

I also finished off the top of the woven palm matting I have attached to the wall, I also added some bamboo slats to face more of the wood on the back of the bar. I am very pleased with the new look of the bar and celebrated with my buddy Casey. I found some new drink recipes that ended up being very old school. I am looking forward to adding various tiki lanterns to fill up the area above the bar. I bought my first Japanese fishing float, I have always wanted one but I am having a hard time finding someone who will drill a hole in it so I can add a lamp.

Any ideas for inside the roof gable? I don't like how it looks, I was thinking about hanging a fishing net in there???

I also have a cool idea for behind the bar on the lower shelf to showcase some of my Grandad's exotica album collection. More on that after the first of the year.

Aloha!!!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
matt-tiki-teo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-11-22 08:32 am   Permalink

Top notch work there - love the A-frame! As for drilling a hole in your fish float, I've had good luck using a circular drill bit designed for tile work like the picture below. Just add water and go slow. I've drilled holes in 5 medium-sized floats this way and haven't lost one.

View Profile of matt-tiki-teo Send a personal message to matt-tiki-teo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-01 10:18 pm   Permalink

Thank you, I will definitely look into that bit, I am so looking forward to putting a lamp in the float. Mahalo!!!

View Profile of Aloha Daddy Send a personal message to Aloha Daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-06 06:28 am   Permalink

Dude! LOVE the A-Frame. Now, get that white covered up!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-11 9:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Big Kahuna, yes, you are right, I have a lot of bamboo fencing I could tack up there. Would definitely warm up the place. My next step also is to start to make some tiki lamps to hang over the bar, much needed for light. As soon as the holidays are over.

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-12-11 9:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-22 08:32, matt-tiki-teo wrote:
Top notch work there - love the A-frame! As for drilling a hole in your fish float, I've had good luck using a circular drill bit designed for tile work like the picture below. Just add water and go slow. I've drilled holes in 5 medium-sized floats this way and haven't lost one.

Matt, did you drill the float at any particular place? Would it be a good idea to drill out the "navel"? thanks for your help.

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-01 3:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks MaukaHale for the inspiration, after chastening by my peers for all the white in my bar, I am working on ceiling panels I can attach to the ceiling. I am planning on making them out of 1x2 frames, with 3 sections each, the 2 outer sections of bamboo and the center section of Tapa cloth. I'll border them with 1x2's that have been carved and stained dark. One for each side of the A-frame, 6' x 7'. I can't wait to start, I am in the planning stage right now and will start consturciton next weekend. For now, a Mai-Tai for inspiration and may the creativity flow...

Aloha!!! and Cheers!

Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-01 5:34 pm   Permalink

Okay fellow tiki enthusiasts, I am trying to make up my mind, do I keep the aquarium and finish the stand, or sell the tank and stand and enjoy the extra space with more space for things on the wall, maybe room for my newly found chest??? I can't make up my mind and I respect all your opinions so please tell me what you think. I was going to make it a planted tank with brightly colored Discus fish. I love the aquarium part of my bar but I already have a 20 gal tall behind the bar so do I need the 90 gal on the side? Please help! Mahalo!

tamminjoe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

Keep the fish tank !!!!!

View Profile of tamminjoe Send a personal message to tamminjoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tamminjoe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-02-02 4:03 pm   Permalink

The sacred Bahooka had several fish tanks. Keep them all ! RIP Rufus!

View Profile of tamminjoe Send a personal message to tamminjoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rubenator71

Posted: 2015-02-20 10:53 am   Permalink

Very nicely done. I need to build me one.

View Profile of Rubenator71 Send a personal message to Rubenator71  Email Rubenator71     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha Daddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-09 9:59 pm   Permalink

Due to popular requests, I have started to work on building ceiling panels that I will attach to the ceiling to get rid of the white, haha! It's funny how it was not apparent to me until a comment was made to get rid of the white! I am grateful to the Tiki community for the great suggestions. I am building the 2 panels on the ground and then attaching to the ceiling to make it easy to install and also to remove, we are renting and so it needs to be easy that way. thanks to MaukaHale for inspiration for this. I am building a frame of 1 x 2's, routing a design into them inspired by Oceanic Arts and then I just stained them. i will be painting the raised areas this week and then assembling them to make a frame and 3 panels inside. I will have the 2 outer panels with bamboo and the center panel with tapa cloth. I am building a total of 2 of these, 6' x 6' each, one for each side of the A-frame.

First I will have to run my wire for the tiki lamps which will soon hang down through the ceiling. I'll attach it to the ceiling and just drop a small ponytail down through. When I go to hang the lamps, I will just have to make my connections.

[ This Message was edited by: Aloha Daddy 2015-03-09 22:03 ]

tamminjoe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-10 3:12 pm   Permalink

Nice carving job!

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-10 6:53 pm   Permalink

very very cool!!! bar looks mega awesome!!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Woodtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-10 8:03 pm   Permalink

Those posts and panels for the ceiling are awesome! Good idea too. I want to do something similar in my place, something that won't ruin the house to remove it. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

View Profile of Woodtiki Send a personal message to Woodtiki  Email Woodtiki Goto the website of Woodtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation