FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars New member, new build and new to Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
New member, new build and new to Tiki
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 09:36 am   Permalink

Almost done with the two extra tables with six stools, just need to make the tops and add swivels to the stools.
This will give seating for 14 counting the 1 barstool behind the bar, and there is still the bench along the pond for extra seating.

This should finish off the seating and tables, if not they can stand !

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 10:36 am   Permalink

Lookin' good! Plenty of seating and table space. Love the pond too.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 3:08 pm   Permalink

Awesome work. If they can't stand, they can lay down after enough drinks...

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-05 4:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks, your right they could also lay in a hammock which is very comfortable as long as someone delivers drinks so you don't have to get up.

Wonder how long until someone falls into the pond ?

View Profile of dtel Send a personal message to dtel  Email dtel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 10:42 pm   Permalink

Added a 3'roof to the rear behind the bar, it keeps it dry on really windy rainy days, works well.

Realized I never put a pic of the backside of the bar.

Tables and stools are done except for the finish on the top when it gets better weather.

Electrical has been added, it goes into the bar, there are outlets back there and switches for the lights which are just temporary. No more extension cords everywhere. Some of the temporary lights on the roof, the lights under the front of the bar and behind it are permanent and LED so they can change colors.

Temporary lights, don't freak out there just temporary until I figure out better lighting, just needed something for now, there all on different switches and turn off. All the different switches will be needed for new lights later, there just outlets in the roof on switches, lights can be changed easily and still be on the switch. Crazy looking I know.

It's coming along, maby one day the construction part will be done and decorating can start ! That's going to be the hard part, being outside I can't use many ideas that could be used indoors.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-02-25 23:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-02-25 23:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-02-26 17:55 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-25 11:32 pm   Permalink

The Bar is looking very nice....now...it's my job you know, where are the Tikis?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 11:11 am   Permalink

Solid looking build Dtel. Lotsa room for plenny tiki.
Good luck!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-25 23:32, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
The Bar is looking very nice....now...it's my job you know, where are the Tikis?

I know, It's a fair question, I will probably try to make some and other Tiki stuff, South Mississippi is NOT Tiki friendly, nothing Tiki at all, people out in California and Florida have it made.

One thing that was strange was when I went to Home Depot to buy some wood for building the bar the guy that worked there asked me what I was going to build. I told him your not going to believe this but a Tiki bar. I thought he would laugh and give me a strange look, but instead said his son used the same boards for a Tiki bar he is building. I was shocked, we live in a small town in the country, I never expected to hear of anyone else thinking Tiki around here.

Kind of putting off Tiki, I didn't want to get discouraged early on. I can not draw very well, is there any way to get a design to wood without just looking at a pic and trying to draw it ? I would like to make some myself,or try, I can't afford to buy what I would like, it can get expensive. I have looked at some Tiki mask, they would fit in great on the poles.

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-02-26 12:50 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-26 1:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-26 11:11, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Solid looking build Dtel. Lotsa room for plenny tiki.
Good luck!

Thanks and your right plenty room for Tiki's, it's going to take time but it will happen. On the poles out in the yard and around the backside of the pond, I would go nuts. I also need some lights and other things to hang under there that are Tiki, it has to head in that direction. I love building things so between that and $, it's the way I have to go. I think the first thing Tiki I may attempt is routing on some boards to cover up where the railroad ties are showing, if I can come up with a pattern a rookie can make and still look Tiki ?

I told my wife if I knew what I was doing I would carve some designs in the poles but I'm not that brave and I don't want to look at a screw up forever.

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-23 12:59 pm   Permalink

Well to cover the railroad ties under the pond bench the cheapest way was 6' Redwood fence boards cut to fit. I ran them through the plainer to get one side smooth and "attempted" to route some designs on them. Well the ties are covered anyway, apparently I need a lot of practice.

I know,.......... I need tiki's

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 9:20 pm   Permalink

Tikis are for losers! It's cool the way it is.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kala60
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-25 7:32 pm   Permalink

Great build! read it all tonight. I got a Tiki Bar build in my future.

what size and source for the bar bamboo front? Great look.

Carl

View Profile of kala60 Send a personal message to kala60      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-24 21:20, forgotten tikiman wrote:
Tikis are for losers! It's cool the way it is.

Nope, not about to get into that kind of trouble, I like them but. Tiki's are for people who either live where they can get them and can afford them, OR try to make them. I'm in the last group, I will try it one day, got to figure out what I'm going to try it on ?

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 9:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-25 19:32, kala60 wrote:
Great build! read it all tonight. I got a Tiki Bar build in my future.

what size and source for the bar bamboo front? Great look.

Carl

It's not bamboo on the bar or on the sink, it's schedule 40 PVC pipe. 2" on the bar front and 1 1/2 on the sink ripped length wise on a table saw to cover twice the distance for each piece.

I read about it on this forum and tried it, it's really easy. The only thing I did different from the advice was to make the rings by turning the PVC on the table saw set to just make a shallow grove in the pipe.

Everything else was just like I read (more or less). I burned the groves with a little torch like plumbers use to sweat pipes until it was black and slightly raised. Then sanded with like a 60 grit sandpaper (long ways) until most of the black came off except right by the ring. Cleaned a little with a rag and painted with amber shellac, it took 2 coats to get the color I liked.

I did burn a little in between joints to make it a little rougher looking, just on the bar not the sink, look back you can see the difference.

Sorry if you knew this already, If so ignore, I had no idea if you had or not and was thrilled when I found out it worked so easily.

If you try it, after burning ( don't breath the fumes) be sure it cools straight, and work quickly with the shellac it dries quickly just slap it on.

This the link, as you can tell I didn't exactly follow directions, but close, I'm happy with it and people even touch it and think it's real bamboo, close enough for me.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6800&forum=7&start=0

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-03-25 21:14 ]

dtel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 9:32 pm   Permalink

If you look I added a lean-to on the back to make the bar dry in bad weather, I used a Sch 40 2" PVC pipe done the same way and screwed the tin directly to it, it's way stronger than I thought.

I was playing with some Klipsch heresy's for speakers out there, in the first pic. Look up by the roof, that's the grills where they will me mounted. They sound great out there.

After mounting them I'm trying to use this old trawl to somewhat hide them and as decoration, not to sure about it yet, I need to play with it some more ?

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-03-25 21:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dtel 2014-03-25 21:35 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation