FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-06 1:20 pm   Permalink

Stock up on that Lemonhart 151!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-07 11:13 pm   Permalink

FYI, more info on that over on this Lemon Hart thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=47455&forum=10&start=15

Also, if anyone needs some ideas on what to buy next, I've got an epic review of Miami Rum Festival with lots of reviews:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/05/25/upstart-spirits-share-spotlight-with-major-players-at-sixth-annual-miami-rum-renaissance-festival/

Most impressed by El Dorado 21, Mount Gay 1703 and Plantation Guyana 2005. The biggest new surprise: Lost Spirits Navy Style.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-08 6:58 pm   Permalink

I found and bought a bottle of of Ron Carlos dark rum based on one of these Mai Kai threads that said it's one of the rums they use. It tastes like paint thinner and after one Cuba Libre I can say it's going to be a liter of rum that will be around for a while. I have no idea what to use this stuff in. It will have to be a bit player 8 some very strong flavored cocktails for sure.

Thankfully I also added Sailor Jerry and a bottle of cockspur to the home bar.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-06-08 7:00 pm   Permalink

Also to add to Hurricane H's comment I can not say enough about Lost Spirits rum. Fabulous. I can't wait for it to be available in my area.

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-09 12:40 am   Permalink

stormrider: The Lost Spirits folks tell me they're working on getting Florida distribution, so keep an eye out.

Re Ron Carlos, that should come with a disclaimer. It's The Mai-Kai's well rum, meaning it's used as a base and not typically a featured flavor. In the mild and medium drinks, it's usually hidden behind the juices, syrups and spices. You'll usually find Appleton, Kohala Bay and/or Lemon Hart in the stronger drinks. I don't even recommend using it in my tribute recipes. I have bottles of it gathering dust. There are much better low-cost rums out there (Cruzan, Don Q, Flor de Caña, at al.)

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 06:00 am   Permalink

So glad my parents have learned that there are better things to bring back as cruise gifts besides cheap t-shirts!

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-10 07:08 am   Permalink

Yessir, that't the hot tip. Any friends or family who visit the Carribbean are able to quietly bring back some very nice things.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 07:09 am   Permalink

Nice! How they get that back? I thought it would get grabbed before it made it off the ship.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-10 07:34 am   Permalink

The cost to hand-check luggage, and the time delays caused to disembarking travelers, seem to make this possible. As long as it doesn't get out of hand, I think we're okay getting an occasional "special gift" when we ourselves, or our friends and family, travel.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-21 09:07 am   Permalink

Mail order liquor? The Gods are pleased!!!

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-21 09:27 am   Permalink

Very cool, Santa came to you early!

What made you buy the Stroh 80? Everyone I talk to hates it, even many here on TC. But it is an amazing ingredient, especially if you have the Frankie's Tiki Room drink recipe book.

kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-21 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-21 09:07, Loki-Tiki wrote:

Where from?

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-21 2:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-06 10:45, AdOrAdam wrote:

Quote:

On 2014-06-21 09:07, Loki-Tiki wrote:

I like that we share the same idea & have both stocked up on LH151, Plantation Overproof, Pussers Blue Label & Bacardi 151!

I already have some of your choices (El Dorado 8, Bacardi 8, Clement VSOP & Barbancourt 5 Star) on hand

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-21 09:27, AceExplorer wrote:
Very cool, Santa came to you early!

What made you buy the Stroh 80? Everyone I talk to hates it, even many here on TC. But it is an amazing ingredient, especially if you have the Frankie's Tiki Room drink recipe book.

Yes Frankie's, and The Bum, Beachbum Berry.

Quote:

On 2014-06-21 10:43, kkocka wrote:

Where from?

Hi-times Wine (
http://www.hitimewine.net/)

Also acquired this month, but not in this shipment: Appleton Estate Extra 12 (x2), El Dorado 12 (x2), Deadhead 6 (x1), Ron Zacapa 23 (x1), Meyers Dark (1.5L x1), Appleton V/X (1.5L x1), Lemon Hart 151 (x6).

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-09 2:20 pm   Permalink

Got a bottle of Skipper Demerara Rum, which I'd never seen before. And a few more bottles of Lemon Hart 151, to see me through the lean times.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation