FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
lunavideogames
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-08 3:08 pm   Permalink

Mike, it is pretty easy at the SD border crossing. I have never had any issues. They only let you bring 1 per person, but I just say I have a bottle of booze. If they asked I would likely say it is tequila, cause they rarely check. My friends cross all the time so I always am well stocked.

My friend is the only one who had trouble with it one time. He said that he was bringing back rum (which is stupid IMO) and then the guard asked what kind. He told them Havana Club and they said that he can't bring that. He argued (again stupid IMO) that the embargo has been lifted. The agent made him bring it back to Mexico, essentially sending him to the back of the long border crosing line and throwing away the bottle and the money he spent on it.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-22 05:49 am   Permalink

Picked up some duty free after a recent trip to Denmark:

The bottle on the right is Aquavit (which I only got out of curiosity so I'll be able to cross the Pegleg Punch & Viking Fogcutter off in my Tiki+ app).

You may not know about the rum on the left - it's one of a series of European travel exclusives bottled by Bacardi - it's aged 5 years max so I'm thinking it'll be like Appleton VX rather than a sipper (which is fine because I use that in Rum Old Fashioneds & I'm nearly out). The other one they currently do is Dominican but I gave that one a miss this trip.

The Johnny Walker was just because they were giving them out on the plane!

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-22 05:58 am   Permalink

The Viking Fogcutter is one of my faves. Try it and let us know your thoughts. I use the Linie Aquavit, but I'm sure the Aalborg will be good too.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-23 11:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-06 00:19, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-03-04 21:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Anyone try Trader Joe’s “Rum of the Gods”? The 6.99 price (California) has me a bit leery.

Keep in mind that it can't be worse than Bacardi. At one WalMart near me I can get a 750ml bottle of Cruzan for $7, so don't let price be the sole influence.

KK, I was in Trader Joe’s today so I went ahead and grabbed a bottle of their rum. The nose is harsh ( very strong on the alcohol).
I just had to taste it. Not bad except for the finish-also very harsh. Gonna try it in some drinks that have a lot of ingredients and see how it goes.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 7:01 pm   Permalink

The big chain store here no longer stocks apricot brandy, which i love, so i ventured out to a tiny liquor store i know that carries some unusual stuff. I picked up my bottle of apricot brandy and while i was there i saw this bottle of Arrack.

Now i've only ever tried Arrack once and it was a looong time ago, but i do remember that i was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. A friend had bought some back with her from wherever it was she had been and she actually gave me a small bottle in a nice ceramic container. It's still sealed but in storage so i have no idea of the brand.

After trying the Arrack pictured above neat, the stuff that i tried must have definitely been Batavia Arrack, as i remember that it was very rum-like, however this stuff, although having a pleasant nose, is not very smooth at all, having more of a whiskey taste, and i cannot pick up on any coconut flavour at all, which was extremely disappointing as i love coconut flavoured anything.
I'll have to try it in some cocktails next to see what it's like when mixed.

Here's a couple of links to the product.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrack#Sri_Lanka

http://srilankanarrack.com/old-reserve.html

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-24 19:01, swizzle wrote:
...from wherever it was she had been...

Indonesia.

From Java - Batavia Arrack is made from sugar cane and rice.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 8:41 pm   Permalink

I'm aware of that komohana, but whether or not it was actually Indonesia she bought it back from, i have no idea. It was about 8 or 9 years ago so i just don't remember.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-24 8:50 pm   Permalink

Have drunk enough of it to kill a bull elephant...

The life size wahine is in Bali right now, I'll see if she can bring some back...

crikey - hope that's not why there aren't too many elephants left...

cripes - hope drink'n Sake don't extinct the whales...

Christ - say it aint so !!

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2016-03-25 18:38 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-26 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-24 20:50, komohana wrote:

... I'll see if she can bring some back...

bummer, the girls got sick with the flu - and it was short notice - so she could only see if there was any at the airport there on her way back..

So picked up some duty free booze at the Perth airport instead..

The Balinese Arak is similar to the Sri Lankan - made from coconut buds.

Spent some time in the Northern Territory where the good stuff was generally available, but that was 25 years or so ago...
Seem to remember a couple different brands but can't recall the names - liked to drink it though.

People used to bring it back all the time here - years ago - but since moving back to Perth from the Pacific coast
can't say that I've seen any recently, not that I've looked for it... will check the local outlets but their websites don't show any.

Anyone in Western Australia seen any for sale?

mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-03-26 3:12 pm   Permalink

Picked up a bottle of Barbancourt white. Anxious to try it out. Anyone have suggested uses for it?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-26 5:52 pm   Permalink

These fellas were on the clearance rack for the same price as bacardi. Based on some favorable reviews in an old thread I decided to stock up, but I left a few on the rack for my fellow rum enthusiasts.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-28 04:33 am   Permalink

An interesting aside, for anyone who cares -

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/russell-crowe-eyes-was-historic-batavia-tale-for-hollywood-movie/story-fnhocxo3-1227803897099?sv=fdffdbceb80ff832537a7641c78a10d9&utm_source=Perth%20Now&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=editorial

Now, back to the RUM...

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-28 05:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-28 04:33, komohana wrote:
An interesting aside, for anyone who cares -
<link>
Now, back to the RUM...

Thanks for posting that info. I found the history very interesting and think it would make a good movie. Their ship very likely had rum a fair amount of rum aboard. I also found it interesting to read that there are a number of very nice replica masted sailing ships in Western Australia.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-28 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-03-23 23:13, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-03-06 00:19, kkocka wrote:
Quote:

On 2016-03-04 21:14, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Anyone try Trader Joe’s “Rum of the Gods”? The 6.99 price (California) has me a bit leery.

Keep in mind that it can't be worse than Bacardi. At one WalMart near me I can get a 750ml bottle of Cruzan for $7, so don't let price be the sole influence.

KK, I was in Trader Joe’s today so I went ahead and grabbed a bottle of their rum. The nose is harsh ( very strong on the alcohol).
I just had to taste it. Not bad except for the finish-also very harsh. Gonna try it in some drinks that have a lot of ingredients and see how it goes.
Cheers

Ha! I did the same thing!

It was very odd but when we popped the bottle there was no nose - it literally had no smell. Poured a bit in a glass and BAM! Very antiseptic. Took a sip and it tasted like it smelled: hospital with notes of caramel. My impression was that I would really only ever be happy that I bought it if I had pulled over on the side of the road in the desert to change a flat, got bitten by a snake, and desperately needed something for the wound.

As a result, I was loathe to try it in a drink but I like nui 'umi 'umi's idea of trying it in a drink with a lot of ingredients. I think I'll do that, some falernum might work wonders. It's just going to collect dust otherwise.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-28 10:03 pm   Permalink

HopeChest, The 2nd time I opened that rum it had absolutely no nose.
Cheers ????

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation