FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What's your latest rum purchase?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
What's your latest rum purchase?
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-02-28 9:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-02-27 10:14, HopeChest wrote:
Thanks for the link, Skip! That place is the only one I could find online that I could actually order it from, but the "Special Order" up to 14 days turnaround bit had me scratching my head. I may need to just suck it up, place the order, and cross my fingers.

Worth the wait. The 14 days, which could be much shorter, is because they don't have it on the shelf. Ace is near the distributor for the Trader Vic's rums, so they order it as needed. Ace does their special orders on Mondays and if the timing is right, they get the Royal Amber in on Tuesdays. which means you could have it pretty quick. BUT, if your order misses the Monday ordering that week, that's why it can take 14 days.

If you enjoy it, I would start stocking up on it. Now that Trader Vic's is down to just two U.S. locations, and only one of the two locations, Emeryville, USES the Royal Amber (sadly the Atlanta TV doesn't use it for their Mai Tais), this really great Mai Tai rum could go the way of Kohala Bay

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-03-01 06:26 am   Permalink

Hey, Doc, when you use the Royal Amber in a Mai Tai, do you use alone or mix it with another rum? And have you had any success using it in other recipes?

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-01 08:57 am   Permalink

Quality info, dear Doctor - cheers for that. I will make sure to order on a Friday or Saturday to ensure I can get on that Monday order. Funny, I had just assumed (and you know what happens when you assume!) that the Atlanta location would be using the Royal Amber as well. What are they using out there?

Hamo: at the Emeryville Trader Vic's it's a straight up 2 ounce pour of the Royal Amber for the regular Mai Tais.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-02 1:55 pm   Permalink

Ahhhhhhhh

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-03 6:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-01 06:26, Hamo wrote:
Hey, Doc, when you use the Royal Amber in a Mai Tai, do you use alone or mix it with another rum? And have you had any success using it in other recipes?

Quote:

On 2017-03-01 08:57, HopeChest wrote:
Quality info, dear Doctor - cheers for that. I will make sure to order on a Friday or Saturday to ensure I can get on that Monday order. Funny, I had just assumed (and you know what happens when you assume!) that the Atlanta location would be using the Royal Amber as well. What are they using out there?

Hamo: at the Emeryville Trader Vic's it's a straight up 2 ounce pour of the Royal Amber for the regular Mai Tais.

Hamo: HopeChest knows her Emeryville Mai Tai, it is 2 oz. The Royal Amber is a custom blend of dark French rum (it says "Made in France" on the label) and (I believe) Caribbean Amber rum. This blend was likely created to allow for a single two ounce pour instead of two 1 oz pours from two different bottles. Funny you should ask about using it with another rum. When I was given my first bottle and at the time had no prospect of getting another, I tried to see if I could use it with any of my other rums to make it last twice as long. I failed after several tries with various styles of rum. Imo, nothing came close to matching how good the Royal Amber was by itself. And I have enjoyed the Mai Tai with it SO much, I haven't mixed anything but Mai Tais at home for the last several weeks!

HopeChest: the local Ohana here in DC just did a "group buy" of the Royal Amber - three cases worth! Our order went in on Monday and is being delivered Saturday to DC. Given Minnesota is pretty close to half way between us, I imagine you might get about the same kind of delivery if you time it right. As for Atlanta, and why they aren't using the Royal Amber... my best guess, and it is pure speculation is that #1, they are a franchise. I'm sure that TV HQ would prefer that they use the Royal Amber, but perhaps cannot enforce their using it. #2, it may be a question of consistency of supply. I checked with the local Atlanta distributor for the TV line of rums, they said that they do not always have it in stock, which if that is the case, the Atlanta TV may be using the TV Gold and Dark instead because they cannot afford to use an inconsistent source. (and by the way, the Royal Amber is NOT simply a blend of the TV Gold and Dark in one bottle)

View Profile of Dr. Coruba Send a personal message to Dr. Coruba  Email Dr. Coruba     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-04 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-03 18:55, Dr. Coruba wrote:

Hamo: HopeChest knows her Emeryville Mai Tai, it is 2 oz.

Hahahaha, that would be "his", actually! Happens frequently online. It's my band's name.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-04 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-04 11:35, HopeChest wrote:
Quote:

On 2017-03-03 18:55, Dr. Coruba wrote:

Hamo: HopeChest knows her Emeryville Mai Tai, it is 2 oz.

Hahahaha, that would be "his", actually! Happens frequently online. It's my band's name.

Very sorry, embarrassed, but laughing. I'm sure you do! In my case, many lifetimes ago I sold furniture. A very popular item for Christmas, graduations, and weddings was parents buying Hope Chests for their daughters. Old cultural memories die hard.

Hamo

Posted: 2017-03-06 8:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Doc and Hope (dude). In my "little" but much visited Colorado mountain town, one place has Trader Vic's spiced rum, and I've seen the macadamia nut liqueur in the big city, but generally I haven't heard great things about their rums, so the Royal Amber is intriguing. Not sure I want to commit to ordering a 1L bottle (especially only to use it in a Mai Tai), so maybe I'll just have to go try it in person in Emeryville, since I missed Trader Vic's when visiting San Francisco last year. That sounds like a better use of my money....

Speaking of rum availability at my local liquor stores, another place has Coruba Spiced and Mango rums but not Dark, which is what I really want to try. Do you suppose I should ask if they can gett the Dark? I don't exactly see the other Coruba flying off the shelf.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Coruba
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-08 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-06 20:10, Hamo wrote:
Speaking of rum availability at my local liquor stores, another place has Coruba Spiced and Mango rums but not Dark, which is what I really want to try. Do you suppose I should ask if they can gett the Dark? I don't exactly see the other Coruba flying off the shelf.

If they won't or don't, Hi-Time can fix you up. It is a really terrific dark for a wide range of Tiki drinks.
https://www.hitimewine.net/coruba-jamaican-dark-rum-1l-106440

CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-08 4:19 pm   Permalink

Lemon-Hart 151 and Coruba. I'm going to make my own 86 proof Demerara and still have some 151 left over. Instructions are here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5778

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2017-03-09 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-08 16:19, CincyTikiCraig wrote:
Lemon-Hart 151 and Coruba. I'm going to make my own 86 proof Demerara and still have some 151 left over. Instructions are here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5778

A while back I diluted some red label LH151 down to 80 proof and compared it to my friends old yellow label 80 proof LH and they were virtually indistinguishable. I need to do that again.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-03-09 11:41 am   Permalink

Hey! Woo-hoo! Look what I just bought! I'm livin' life large, like a lottery winner!

Just kidding... REALLY! The only Bacardi I have is 151, and it's not for drinking but for burning.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-03-09 11:41, AceExplorer wrote:
Hey! Woo-hoo! Look what I just bought! I'm livin' life large, like a lottery winner!

Just kidding... REALLY! The only Bacardi I have is 151, and it's not for drinking but for burning.

It's a shame that 1909 was a limited thing. At $20 for a bottle I would have made it my standard pour for aged whites if I could get it all the time.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-09 9:03 pm   Permalink

Can't pass up this price

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-03-10 09:58 am   Permalink

WHOA! That's, like, half price!

Just went to a local grocery store and bought their last bottle of Kirk & Sweeney 12 year on closeout for $17. I wish I had seen it sooner and bought several bottles.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation