FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ What does tiki mean to you?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
What does tiki mean to you?
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-22 12:00, GROG wrote:
I thought the title to the thread was "What does tiki mean to you?"

Why is this all of a sudden a discussion thread?

Agreed, lets get this back on track. "What does Tiki mean to you?"

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-10-22 13:02 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 12:37 pm   Permalink

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

"Tiki Central is a place to celebrate the classic Tiki Bars of the mid-century and the design aesthetic they established. This movement grew in popularity after World War II when America had a new fascination with the South Seas and Hawaii. Tiki Bars sought to bring an idealized tropical paradise into the concrete jungle of the Modern World. Very little of it was genuine -- born mostly out of the likes of Hollywood art directors and modern architects -- but it all seemed real to a then-naÔve publicís eye. The Tiki style started in bars and restaurants but soon spilled over into all forms of popular culture, including music, food, dress, TV and movies, and other forms of architecture.

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. Weíre here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isnít generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

Itís not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
Itís not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
Itís not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
Itís not about Reggae
Itís not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
Itís not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions. "

That's from the forum header.

This is a section I want to focus on:

"Weíre here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isnít generic, watered down, or misguided."

Isn't that the purpose of this thread?

Frankly, I think it is good that we have these discussions from time to time. It helps codify things, helps get the car back on the road.....

and really, many of our viewpoints are really not all that different......we are disagreeing mainly on the peas and carrots, while we agree on the steak.....

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 12:59 pm   Permalink

Oh brother, I'm going to Instagram...where Tiki is fun

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-10-22 13:03 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 1:21 pm   Permalink

"Weíre here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isnít generic, watered down, or misguided."

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 4:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-22 12:59, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Oh brother, I'm going to Instagram...where Tiki is fun

Yep. I'll join you.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 9:07 pm   Permalink

And I'll join Lucas in stating that intelligent discussion is not the antithesis of fun - it is a sign of being alive, something that this board is in much need of.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

I should also add that Tiki, to me, is being a member of the Cult of Ku and learning and enjoying its origin.

And celebrating its current reincarnations:

By the way, we can pictures here, too, just like Instragram.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 10:35 pm   Permalink

You know, it's funny seeing the picture of the City Of Refuge on the Big Island of Hawaii where there are TONS of tikis. I had thought of this place earlier in connection with this thread and thought "Is the City Of Refuge "tiki"? and I immediately had a gut reaction of "Hell no...it's the REAL thing in the REAL place"..lol...kind of crazy, yet, of course,it's the INSPIRATION for it all. I think I have to ponder that some more.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-10-22 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-22 21:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
And I'll join Lucas in stating that intelligent discussion is not the antithesis of fun - it is a sign of being alive, something that this board is in much need of.

+1

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 12:20 am   Permalink

"Intelligent" discussion.

Hah! That's pretty funny.

With ALL the alcohol that's been imbibed by all the members of this forum, GROG not sure we have enough brain cells left collectively to label anything we do as "intelligent".

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 03:57 am   Permalink

Good one Sven!
I think some of the time negativity is in the eye of the beholder, and if
you are looking for negativity you will find it.

But you will not find the mass of info on tiki anywhere else but Tiki Central.
Not even on My space no wait that's gone, Facebook.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 08:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-22 21:07, bigbrotiki wrote:

Thank you for that, Sven...

in all my 10 years on this forum, I can remember only a handful of times when I actually got mad at something someone said...overall, nothing I have usually posted was intended with malice or even with negativity...at least not from my perspective.

Often times, without seeing someone's facial expression as they are typing, its hard to determine the intent.

I think I get what some people's concept of tiki is. Seems like its all about fun and parties first and foremost, so any discussion that veers towards being dry and boring and full of either facts or trivia can be the antithesis of "fun".

I agree with Sven on one important fact: For me, tiki means cultural history first, great parties with colorful attire and fun drinks and music second.

But I would ask people that before they want to shut someone up, why exactly do they not want to hear someone else's opinion that they don't agree with?

I don't want to shut up people who post stuff I disagree with. What a boring world it would be if I was the king, and everyone had to agree with me!

For example, we have heard from the purists and the "party only/good times only" crowd (who would probably be just as happy at Jimmy Buffet Central" )

We should hear from those that come from the other direction, those low- brow/rockabilly/kar kulture enthusiasts who also like tiki....my question is, what is it you like about tiki? is it just the design of the tiki itself? Are you into tiki from a graphic point of view?

For me, it's some wierd memory...and when I first read BOT in 2003, I started having all these memories of things from when I was 4 years old...and it inspired me to want to learn more about it. I didn't even know what the term "tiki" meant until that time.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-10-23 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-23 08:15, lucas vigor wrote:

in all my 10 years on this forum, I can remember only a handful of times when I actually got mad at something someone said...

And you quit each of those times only to return a bit later.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-10-23 09:27, GROG wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-10-23 08:15, lucas vigor wrote:

in all my 10 years on this forum, I can remember only a handful of times when I actually got mad at something someone said...

And you quit each of those times only to return a bit later.

Are we taking bets on when Lucas will quit again?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 10:06 am   Permalink

Lets see, Grog and Ben...

would you quit or feel like quitting if you received a PM like this:

"You are a miserable asshole. People do NOT like you -- your own band mates don't even like you!! Your past band mates don't like you!! They have all been very vocal about it--I am not making it up--ask them. I feel bad speaking for them but hey..they won't deny it when questioned I am sure.

You made this big deal out of leaving Tiki Central and NO ONE missed you! As soon as you posted today Facebook ERUPTED in "Holy shit Lucas actually thinks people care what he has to say" posts...want me to send them all to you? Its not just me--I may be the vocal one but you are NOT liked...its really a shame you are so clueless.

And whoever is saying things about me are people I DON'T care about anyways. Honestly...are you old men so in denial about the reality of how people hate you that you think people like me care? I don't.

People don't want the Smokin' Menehuenes to play because YOU are in the band...it has been said over and over again and not by me..do you know how easy it is to replace a bass player? You are not special. You need to get over yourself--seriously. "

Thats a PM I received from someone here. And judging from some of the other posts here in this thread, it's obvious many of you share that sentiment...despite the fact that I have never done one single thing wrong to any of you except make posts about what I think tiki is. Very nice, tiki central.

That in fact, WAS one of the times I actually got mad on this forum and wanted to quit. Hey, wouldn't you, if you got a PM like that?

It's amazing how you people bait others with your condescending and snarky little remarks, and then if I dare to get offended...I am suddenly the bad person, and apparently, the only bad person here.

I asked this before: What have I done to any of you? have I engaged in immoral business deals with anyone here? Stole copywrited material or designs? accepted money from any of you and then not delivered a product? What justifies this level of animosity towards me? There are people on TC who have in fact, done all those things, yet you chose to ridicule me based on my OPINIONS? wow!
Grog points out that on 53 posts on this thread, 17 are mine....so, I am not allowed to exceed an accepted amount of posts? I have been here since 2003, and my post count is actually lower then most of you. Go figure.

What does tiki mean to me? I now want to change my answer.

Tiki means a group of people that are very much a clique, who ostracize anyone who disagrees with the groupthink or upsets the apple cart.

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-10-23 10:17 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation