FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean to be released Dec. 5th
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Beachbum Berry's Potions of the Caribbean to be released Dec. 5th
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-15 10:54 am   Permalink

Finally had time to listen to the interview: A fun and informative earful, thank you!

Quote:

On 2013-12-14 14:32, koopkooper wrote:
Hey guys, I did an interview with Jeff this week about his book...you might dig it

Cocktail Nation 294 Potions of The Caribbean with Jeff Beachbum Berry

Jeff Beachbum Berry has got a brand new book out that will blow your mind about the history of tiki drinks. For those in Los Angeles I have a very cool hang out for you plus a very groovy newsletter to sign up for which I can guarantee you won't regret when it drops into your inbox each week.

http://www.cocktailnation.podbean.com

[ This Message was edited by: koopkooper 2013-12-14 14:33 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-18 11:00 am   Permalink

it's here!

oh mah gerd...it is beautiful....Christmas is saved!

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-23 5:31 pm   Permalink

My copy arrived on Friday. Unfortunately my flu and/or cold arrived on Thursday night so I've yet to actually dive in and start exploring on account of not being able to smell or taste much of anything. It looks awesome under the Christmas tree however.

With regards to the price of the book - I guess whether $40 is too much for a book of cocktail history and recipes is a subjective (nay, personal) matter. But knowing how much I've learned from and used Jeff's previous books, I never gave it a second thought. His body of work stands on its own merit. Hell I've bought Remixed 3 times and had 2 of those copies spiral bound because I use it so much.

I really can't wait to dig into some of these potions,

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-23 10:02 pm   Permalink

Mine came to me today. I am very excited to check it out.

I hope everyone gets a Berry book for the holidays!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-24 12:02 pm   Permalink

Santa came early to the Hayward household. My collection is now complete! Mahalo to Beachbum Berry and the amazing "Potions of the Caribbean" ....

While Santa was here, I made us a few cocktails: Myrtle Bank Punch, Trader Vic (left) and Don the Beachcomber versions. Two down, 75 to go.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-25 11:27 am   Permalink

Extra Tikilicious Christmas!

My wonderfum family got me the new Beachbum book -- Wow! It is gorgeous! They also got me the Frankie's Tiki Room Liquid Vacation book and Kahuna Kevin's Why is the Rum Gone vol. 1.

As if that wasn't enough, my wife got me an Enchanted Tiki Room Shag anniversary aloha shirt that I have been droolong over since it came out last year.

Yippee!!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-12-25 11:52 ]

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-25 7:35 pm   Permalink

Mines in the mail. Sounds like it will be wonderful.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-26 12:15 am   Permalink

Got my copy for Christmas and read the first 120 pages today. Fantastic writing, high quality printing, amazing book. Also got the Navy Grog Ice Cone maker.

Hurricane Hayward, how do you like the Navy Grog Ice Cone maker?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiSan 2013-12-26 10:39 ]

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-26 4:11 pm   Permalink

I got the ice cone maker a few months ago and have used it a number of times. It is an interesting addition to my exotic cocktail bar. I find that you need to have very finely crushed ice for it to work well. If the ice is too coarse the cone will fall to pieces before it can be used. For instance ice from the refrigerator ice crusher isn't nearly fine enough. Even ice I crush with my Lewis bags is borderline too coarse. The ice from my approximately $50 Deni electric ice crusher, which makes finely chipped ice, works pretty well. I don't have a snow cone ice machine so I don't know if that ice would be too fine.

The process I use is to pack the cone with finely crushed ice, poke the straw hole, and finally put it in the freezer for an hour before removing it to a Tupperware style container for storage so I can use the cone to start another.

Once placed in a drink it absorbs some of the cocktail by capillary action so the entire cone takes on the hue of the cocktail.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-26 7:01 pm   Permalink

So happy, got this book for Christmas. So far great reading.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 11:11 am   Permalink

I am devouring this book. Have read through page 215 and am trying to pace my reading because I will be depressed when I finish the book and have no more to read. Awesome stuff.

I have made a handful of the recipes so far including:

• Petit Punch Vieux. The recipe here is a little more lime-heavy and also heavy on the cane syrup compared to my standard version of one of my favorite drinks.

• Hotel Nacional Special. white rum, apricot brandy. pineapple and lime juice. Enjoyable.

• Ideal Cocktail. A gin-based cocktail from La Florida. Red and white vermouth, grapefruit and maraschino liquor. Really liked this one.

• Night Cap. Another gin-based cocktail with cognac, cacao, and lime juice. Tasty.

• Voodoo Grog. a mid-1950s Trader Vic menu item with gold Spanish rum and aged rhum agricole, lime juice, grapefruit, honey, egg white, pimento dram, and passionfruit syrup. On paper this looks like it's right in my Tiki wheelhouse, but the recipe made to specs seemed unbalanced and lacking in sweetness. A big slug of grapefruit and lime in this one and only 1/4 oz of honey and 1/2 oz of passionfruit syrup to offset it. I will come back to this one and play around with the ratios a bit.

• Caribe Welcome. Had several of these last night with my wife. Gold PR rum, apricot brandy, lime juice, coconut water and Coco Lopez. Reminiscent of an unblended Coconaut. Very tasty.

• Piña Colada. I made the 1954 recipe Jeff published from the drink's birthplace at the Caribe Hilton. Used cream in addition to light rum. pineapple and Coco Lopez. The original recipe called for 2x as much pineapple juice as the modern recipe and only 1/3 to 1/2 of the crushed ice, so a 15-second blend produced a cold but unfrozen liquid, more like a Trader Vic Bahia than a typical Piña Colada. Made another one with more ice and it was good but I prefer the drink with more Lopez and less pineapple.

Looking forward to hitting all of the La Florida Daiquiri variations and some of the Donn Beach and TV entries in the next couple of days.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 11:21 am   Permalink

Sunny&Rummy: I admire your liver!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-30 11:21, AceExplorer wrote:

She-oot, we're just getting warmed up!

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-30 11:21, AceExplorer wrote:

Just a reminder that Don the Beachcomber died of liver cancer.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-30 11:11, Sunny&Rummy wrote:
I am devouring this book. Have read through page 215 and am trying to pace my reading because I will be depressed when I finish the book and have no more to read. Awesome stuff.
I have made a handful of the recipes so far....

Very ambitious recipe testing Sunny&Rummy!

I'm on page 201 and am loving the book so far. The Bum is an excellent storyteller.

The only drink I've made so far is The Caribbean. It has a very nice photo in the book, but is just an OK drink. I found it to be well-balanced, with all the flavors canceling each other out, resulting in a bland drink. It give it 5 out of 10 stars. I much prefer a strong-flavored cinnamon drink.

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation