FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Auction - Items from the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Auction - Items from the Kahiki
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-19 9:46 pm   Permalink

PLANT!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 04:10 am   Permalink

lol - at least it wasn't called GoldenShowersTiki

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 06:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-19 21:42, Tikiskipper wrote:
Now if they had rescued the iconic Moai fireplace, now THAT would have been impressive.

"Yes it would have been but unfortunately the organization did not exist when it or other things like the moai's were available. But that's ok because some other generous people purchased them and let them deteriorate. You read a lot about personal collections but when has someone else bought something to preserve for more than their own selfish purposes. Don't knock it embrace it, if tiki is to survive this is how it is going to happen. But who really cares about that. Meh..."

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiskipper 2013-11-20 01:08 ]

Wrong on so many levels Tikiskipper.
First here is the thread where the Moai is found. 2006
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21188&forum=5&hilite=rebirth
And here is the thread where Mat (KuKuAhu)comes to tiki central to get members for the FOM. 2005
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12811&forum=1

The Fom did have a chance to get them,In fact they had many chances.
I was in the FOM at that time, when I was in the FOM there were like
7 people in it, where you in the FOM at that time?
So you see I was there almost from the start,
That means I KNOW what the FOM is about.

AND the FOM could have "preserved" both the Moai fireplace AND one of the Moai from
the sale 10 YEARS after that here...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36774&forum=12

But ALL of those times they did not "save" these items.
You seam to be good at rewriting history and would fit right in with the FOM if you are
not already in the FOM.
Good thing Tiki Central was here to PROVE my point, now
prove your points.

This was a good move by the FOM, good for Grass Skirt, good publicity for both, congrats.
But that is more of what this was publicity, it's smart don't get me wrong.
At one of the last meetings I was at there was talk of moving away from tiki
was that scraped?

"but when has someone else bought something to preserve for more than their own selfish purposes"
I did this for the Tropical Bistro in time and money, but no others were there with me.
And for Largos I did this as well.

No Tikiskipper if tiki is to survive it needs Tiki central like places that's motive is to
document and show the history of tiki old and new so the future of tiki, if
there is a future for tiki can be built on.
Even the FOM came out of Tiki Central!
You was perfect in your tiki from the day that you came to Tiki central, till iniquity was found in Yous.

Someone called you a plant Tikiskipper, I think you more of a weed, a weed that takes the sun, water and
food thus choking out the good.

[/quote]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 06:53 am   Permalink

Amen skip.

If it actually gets done, and that's a big if, it will be nice to have something of the Kahiki saved and in a public space.

But, it seems that some in the FOM have to hide behind a fake user name and snipe at people rather than build and help. I have seen this in a lot of people, and in some FOM, that the saying "better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" gets turned into, "if they light a candle, throw rocks at them!"

I guarantee that the FOM could buy the fireplace tomorrow if they had the money and a plan to do something with it.

But George is sitting in a lobby right now and requires a good bit of money and resources to move it to Grass Shack. Is it even possible to put it inside that place without taking out a wall or something?

Regardless, I hope they succeed. I would like to be able to have that monument to Kahiki to visit. It is a big challenge and it will take a lot of effort and/or money to get it done. It is a good effort to make.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 07:03 am   Permalink

I guess I am kind of naive about this....what exactly is FOM and why is it bad?

I really am curious...I see it mentioned from time to time and always wondered what it was...

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 07:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 06:32, tikiskip wrote:
Wrong on so many levels Tikiskipper.
First here is the thread where the Moai is found. 2006
And here is the thread where Mat (KuKuAhu)comes to tiki central to get members for the FOM. 2005

As someone who was there at the time you of all people really should understand that in 2006 the FOM was not large enough to take on a large preservation project. At best the group could aspire to that sort of thing.

Quote:

AND the FOM could have "preserved" both the Moai fireplace AND one of the Moai from
the sale 10 YEARS after that here…

Could have, yes, but failed at the attempt. Failed again when the moai in New Hampshire went on sale earlier this year too to be honest. The spirit was willing but the conditions were not right. Sadly at this point the fireplace and moai that were shipped east are probably too damaged to be salvageable.

So you're right, no track record at all. But it is not rewriting history to say that we are going to keep trying.

And let's be honest, the FOM still has not succeeded at anything yet. Winning the auction just opened the door to a ton of additional work that needs to be done now that the initial celebration is over.

There will be publicity, that is the way of the world. When we succeed at a charity or preservation project we are going to talk about it. The FOM is no different from other nonprofits in that respect. So stay tuned, it might be quite a saga.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 07:38 am   Permalink

They will get it done.
All it takes is cash, and the FOM now has money as all but a handful
of people at the very top that were there at the start pay dues in the FOM.

And you are right I was there at a time when the events broke even and
made no money, now they make 5 to 6 thousand dollars at each one.
But then don't talk about money cuz that will get you in a bind with
some groups.

I did feel that Tikiskipper was throwin rocks so I felt a need to pick
up a shield.
Lets face it even that name is a lie.
It could be he is not FOM at all.

It is hard to see the ship you are on taking the wrong path and get off
to take a road that you feel is right.
Much more easy to just let people guide you to take their path.
But then that's not my way. and some of the best of the crew were in the water with me swimming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ib5H5auk-c

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2013-11-20 07:42 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 07:43 am   Permalink

You have no idea what the FOM is about and never did.

View Profile of Tiki Joe Send a personal message to Tiki Joe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 07:03, lucas vigor wrote:

I really am curious...I see it mentioned from time to time and always wondered what it was...

What is FOM? Stop by and see for yourself.....

www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:08 am   Permalink

Hi! My name is Carl "The Granite Tiki" Ayotte. I'm presently the Tohunga of the Queequeg Chapter of the Fraternal Order of Moai. (That just means I run our local chapter meetings for a couple of years, ya know, local New England "president") and I want to congratulate my fellow Moai who worked hard and fast to make this attempt at preservation a reality! Also all the local chapters who pledged/donated funds to this worthwhile cause. Preservation is probably the hardest part of our commitment to Tiki. It's easier to throw big parties, make great cocktails and collect personal treasures from local thrift stores than to bid against deep pocketed collectors and support Tiki bars and restaurants that have to adhere to modern trends and the regular public. Here in New England we've lost a couple of our regular stops just in the short time we've been a chapter. So again, the preservation portion of our charter is the hardest part and the most heartbreaking. But Today, we celebrate the preservation and keeping local of George!!! An Ohio icon that lives on!!!! Great work everyone!

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:16 am   Permalink

So, can I side-track for a moment? What if the original is too big, too heavy, or too poorly made for salvage or restoration to be feasible for anyone to undertake. Are the designs of these old things copyrighted? Is it ok preserve the design instead of preserving the original molecules of the first object?

We have better materials today - lighter and stronger. Would it be a faux pas to copy the design onto new material, perhaps adjusting the size, and thereby accomplishing "preservation" in a different and non-traditional way?

I get the whole thing about preserving the original. But I'm just wondering if it's the best thing to break multiple piggy banks by resurrecting the original molecules when it may have been built with poor materials right from the start.

Please - no flames - just tossing out some thoughts for constructive discussion. I am curious to know, and I can't remember seeing discussion on this before.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 07:03, lucas vigor wrote:

It originated as a group working to unite the very far flung Tiki fans in the East (East of California and nearby states) to support one another and have events, large and small to build camaraderie. Californians get together all the time and have it easy. Out here, you may be hours away from anyone or anything Tiki related. It has succeeded in that goal to various degrees depending on the Chapter, etc.

As for the bad, well, I won't say anything here. Let sleeping dogs lie. But there is no need for a FOM in California because the goals are already met by Tikiphiles gathering at DtB and Tiki Ti and Smuggler's Cove, etc. every night of the week and events every month or so.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:32 am   Permalink

I'm not interested in getting into a big feud with you, tskip. I don't know who tikiskipper is either but yes, obviously that is a sock puppet for someone else.

You've been gone a long time and things change. I understand why you left, we've talked about that, so I am not going to disrespect you over that.

But times change, organizations change. A lot of different people are in the FOM now, you really don't know most of us at all. Our events are different too, they are run by large teams of people, not one or two individuals, and yes they actually make money. We just turn around and give it away to charity but that's the whole point of having the events. It's fun.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:36 am   Permalink

"You have no idea what the FOM is about and never did."
Quote Tikijoe Or Hi Fi Hijinx....

Here is Hi Fi Hijinx signature from another site.
Los genitales femeninos han sido siempre una fuente de fascinación or....
The female genitalia have always been a source of fascination

You are pure class Joe.
Your wife must be proud.

Hey ace the short answer is yes. (Made by the Tropical Bistro guy Soung)
And I do still have people in the FOM who I see and like, you are and were a good guy Rev.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2014-01-03 12:06 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:43 am   Permalink

Thanks, tikiskip. I see from your photo "yes it's ok to copy the design" as opposed to it being faux pas. Nice re-creation of the fireplace -- looks like a great way to preserve the design, and all hand-made too!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation