FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Auction - Items from the Kahiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Auction - Items from the Kahiki
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 08:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 08:17, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-20 07:03, lucas vigor wrote:
I guess I am kind of naive about this....what exactly is FOM and why is it bad?

I really am curious...I see it mentioned from time to time and always wondered what it was...

It originated as a group working to unite the very far flung Tiki fans in the East (East of California and nearby states) to support one another and have events, large and small to build camaraderie. Californians get together all the time and have it easy. Out here, you may be hours away from anyone or anything Tiki related. It has succeeded in that goal to various degrees depending on the Chapter, etc.

As for the bad, well, I won't say anything here. Let sleeping dogs lie. But there is no need for a FOM in California because the goals are already met by Tikiphiles gathering at DtB and Tiki Ti and Smuggler's Cove, etc. every night of the week and events every month or so.

Well, that does not sound all that evil.....however, who is "Tiki skipper"??? seems to me anyone posting under a false user profile is engaging in some form of dishonesty or otherwise nefarious conduct!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 09:17 am   Permalink

I, too, have no idea who Tikiskipper is, or whether that ID is actually a FOM member - or not.

As part of the present FOM leadership, I can say that we wanted to keep George local to preserve an important piece of Columbus tiki history, as preservation is a core component that does define our FOM goals. And, having a public location where he can be enjoyed by many was also an important part of the goal, with a few public locations considered.

As mentioned above, Charitable giving is also core to who we are. We raise funds - often through events such as Ohana Luau at the Lake - and then we give away a good chunk of that money away to charitable causes - either locally, as Hot rod Hula Hop did:
http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2013/09/25/hot-rod-hula-hop-5-proceeds-donated-to-cure-cmd - or, our national charity is the Easter Island Foundation, with the FOM now providing THREE Scholarships to students from the island of Rapa Nui who wish to bring their skills back to enrich their home island - you can read about our very recent 2013 donation here: http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2013/11/04/fom-sends-2013-donation-to-eif

So, yeah, we enjoy preserving a bit of tiki history when we can, we raise money for good causes, we put on events & we have a hell of a lot of fun together while doing it all - and pretty much always with a drink in our hands. The FOM has grown far beyond it's initial roots & we are doing some fun stuff that can & does make a difference.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 09:24 am   Permalink

I can say that if not for croe67 (Caroline) the FOM would not be one tenth of what it is.
She is a go getter for sure.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 08:46, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-20 08:17, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-11-20 07:03, lucas vigor wrote:
I guess I am kind of naive about this....what exactly is FOM and why is it bad?

I really am curious...I see it mentioned from time to time and always wondered what it was...

It originated as a group working to unite the very far flung Tiki fans in the East (East of California and nearby states) to support one another and have events, large and small to build camaraderie. Californians get together all the time and have it easy. Out here, you may be hours away from anyone or anything Tiki related. It has succeeded in that goal to various degrees depending on the Chapter, etc.

As for the bad, well, I won't say anything here. Let sleeping dogs lie. But there is no need for a FOM in California because the goals are already met by Tikiphiles gathering at DtB and Tiki Ti and Smuggler's Cove, etc. every night of the week and events every month or so.

Well, that does not sound all that evil.....however, who is "Tiki skipper"??? seems to me anyone posting under a false user profile is engaging in some form of dishonesty or otherwise nefarious conduct!

You asked about "bad", not "evil".

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 11:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-11-20 09:24, tikiskip wrote:
I can say that if not for croe67 (Caroline) the FOM would not be one tenth of what it is.
She is a go getter for sure.

Why, Mahalo, John!

It takes a lot of us to make happen what we do these days & we have many newer Fellows over the past few years with lots of energy, enthusiasm & who want to make things happen, added to those of us who have been around for a bit longer. We couldn't do it without all of our members coming together to do good & have lots of fun!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-20 12:08 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2013-11-20 12:42 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-27 11:32 am   Permalink

This is VERY cool.............

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2013/11/25/fraternal-order-of-moai-acquires-legendary-fountain-from-the-kahiki-restaurant

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-27 11:45 am   Permalink

Yes, very cool. I'm imagining a nation-wide tour is called for!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-30 08:18 am   Permalink

This is VERY cool.............

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2013/11/25/fraternal-order-of-moai-acquires-legendary-fountain-from-the-kahiki-restaurant

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

I think the days of "man they just put that stuff in the trash" are over for
the most part.
So these items were not "saved from being scraped" it's just a matter of where it goes in this day
and age.

I would bet that this would have gone to some other tiki bar that will open some day.
Private collectors maybe some of the safest places for these items from the past.
Remember the bar from the Jai Lai went to Little brothers on High street, well Little bros is gone
and where is the bar?
Plus leases today have so many loopholes and BS in them I would fear that an item like that could become
what is known as a fixture and made to stay with the building when lessor leaves.
Mine did have this in it.
But I'm sure you guy checked on that.
AND if the lessor leaves in the middle of the night as some do owing rent ect... no lease
in the world will let you come and get that thing out. (Think Tropical Bistro)
Again I know you checked on that.
It is good that it will be relocated to a spot where John Q public will see it more.

You are right Jeff This is VERY cool, can't wait to see how it goes.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 11:39 am   Permalink

George has arrived at his new home.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/index.php/2014/06/12/george-arrives-at-grass-skirt-tiki-room

[ This Message was edited by: rev_thumper 2014-06-12 11:50 ]

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

Well done!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
umeone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 3:12 pm   Permalink

We sure hope that they put the fountain Inside the building. The fountain has always been inside of either the Kahiki or the factory, but never outside. The winter weather and the hot sun could be brutal to the concrete structure.

The fountain actually was called "The Pig" when the Kahiki first opened. Does FOM plan on painting "The Pig" or return it to the original colors?

We are extremely pleased that The Pig or George will remain in Columbus.

View Profile of umeone Send a personal message to umeone  Email umeone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-12 5:18 pm   Permalink

He cannot fit in the existing building so a shelter will be built around him now that he is placed.

-Rev

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-13 08:03 am   Permalink

Fantastic! After seeing what happened to the iconic fireplace (abandoned in someones backyard), seeing the fountain brought back into the public to enjoy really made my day.

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-13 08:07 am   Permalink

"Does FOM plan on painting "The Pig" or return it to the original colors?"

A much better paint scheme for sure but you would need a good artist to pull it off as it is way more
intricate.
Would guess this is why they did not do that pattern back when they repainted it.

"The winter weather and the hot sun could be brutal to the concrete structure."
Mine is having troubles outside so this is a good point.
Even just a clear coat painted on once a year would help keep it.
One problem this one will have that mine won't is vandals, being as this is now steps away from
the open shelter.
I had a restaurant downtown for years trust me on that one.
Best case is they just poop and pee on it.
I would make a stencil for the painted graphic parts so you can repaint with ease if the taggers hit it.

looks like his right eye is poked out so now he only sees left.

It is good to see it in a more public setting though.
Good job Rev.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation