FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Forbidden Maya Tai, San Diego
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The Forbidden Maya Tai, San Diego
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-24 6:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-23 15:37, TikiAno wrote:

More framed art- including more beautiful Art Swap stuff, Eric October, and some more from Arriano!

Ha ha! I'm scrolling down the thread and suddenly I think, wow I had framed art just like that. Then I realize, it's the same ones! Glad they're put back into good use.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 06:00 am   Permalink

Arriano, they have found a good home, thanks so much for them! Hope your move went well?

Muchos mahalos, Dale, tamminjoe, & Vampiress!

tamminjoe, have fun with the dartboard idea. I doubt Doug has any more. Jason is working on one for me- he's great and I brought the mask to him earlier in the year when I picked up the other tiki. Should be all fixed up by Oasis. Still wonder where that horn ran away to....

Vampiress, Dreyfus comes in but has a general distrust for the garage (where the bar is located). He has found the shag rug to be the best place (coziest) place in there for him. I still plan on making a "real" menu, using either burned leather or another material to hold it, but for now I print out special menus with drinks that I enjoy making. Makes it more fun for guests and for whoever's making the drinks (me)

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

Good idea about the menu...prompts me to do a little something with mine. The lighting is fun. Shout out to Dreyfus.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-29 10:37 pm   Permalink

Vampiress, I think it's a fun addition to any bar. I have the menu file on my computer, I can just edit the drink options before anyone comes over. If I ever (ever) settle on a more permanent menu I'd love to properly "age" the paper. I found this online and may try it at some point:

http://adventuresonarocketship.wordpress.com/2013/01/31/aging-paper-with-soy-sauce/

Still have a bit more lighting work to do- it's at a comfortable level but wouldn't mind some more contrast-y lighting- as well as some uplighting on the belly bars I built (so people can check out the routing work on them). Always something else to do!

Look forward to seeing some of your menu work!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-26 10:23 pm   Permalink

Wow, it's been a while since I updated any photos of the home bar. A lot has changed, including new shelving, art, and more. I've added a great resin chunk lamp (eBay), another resin lamp (also eBay), and got a killer Moai tiki from Buzzy.

I've never been happy with the glaring grey garage door, so tried to figure out an inexpensive way to hide the fact that the home bar is in fact in a garage- while still allowing the door to work. My wife was very against my painting or permanently altering the garage door in any way- "for resale's sake," though I've always thought that the next homeowner would be impressed to see a full on bar in their new home's garage. Okay, maybe that's just me.

I thought of a few ways of going about this, including a vehicle wrap (expensive), a photo wall mural (which are repositionable and thus not permanent), then realized I'd see how wood grained contact paper would work. I ordered a huge roll from Amazon.com and squeegeed it on. I eventually had to use Spray 77 adhesive to get the contact paper to stick (after a mini heat wave we had in February), which got the contact paper to stick once again. I wasn't greatly concerned with how perfect the paper looked on the garage, since I was planning on adding record album covers and then netting on top of the contact paper. I also planned to keep direct lighting off of the garage door so any mistakes wouldn't be glaringly obvious. The fishing net really adds a nice touch (not pictured here).

Before:

After:

I've added extra LED spotlights to highlight new art, including the Buzzy Moai and a new bamboo shelf I scored on craigslist for really cheap. It holds a bit of the Scorpion Bowl collection, some of my ceramics, and more.

Floats area with art from Hang 10 Tiki & SewTiki from the 2015 TC Art Swap...

Wider shot of the "lounge" area with new resin light. I rewired the lamp that didn't work when I received it from eBay. Easy fix, then added a red bulb. I need to pick up some new Aloha print fabric to cover the cushions on the bamboo chairs... a few more things to do before the San Diego Home Bar Crawl in less than two weeks.

Mahalo for the visit!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiAno 2015-02-26 22:31 ]

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-02-27 10:34 am   Permalink

you guys have done a nice job with a small space, loving the look so far!!!

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-14 9:49 pm   Permalink

Way kool my man
Looks like a great place to relaX wit a drink in hand
Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-03-15 4:44 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Love that Buzzy moai!!!!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tamminjoe
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-03-15 7:08 pm   Permalink

Love the fish tank on the bottom of that rattan bookshelf!

View Profile of tamminjoe Send a personal message to tamminjoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation