FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's LA Clipper's Tiki Mug
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Trader Vic's LA Clipper's Tiki Mug
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 10:26 am   Permalink

The complaints about Trader Vic's in DTLA never stop. It IS in a bad location and gets whored out for the sporting folk who just want a cheap beer or jack and coke.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-11 5:35 pm   Permalink

I believe the "knock off mug" was made in Ventura. I was at a factory in a sketchy area that made archetectural pieces looking to have them fabricate a part for a damaged fountain at the Piru train station. The owner told me about the mug but couln't find one to show me.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-11 9:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-11 10:26, kkocka wrote:
The complaints about Trader Vic's in DTLA never stop. It IS in a bad location and gets whored out for the sporting folk who just want a cheap beer or jack and coke.

In other words, it is in a location where thousands of people looking for a drink walk by. If I owned a bar, it would be a good location.

I wish there was a perfect location for a Tiki bar, but history proves that except for the Mai Kai location, most locations prove only temporarily good.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 03:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-11 10:26, kkocka wrote:

LA has to be the only place in the US where a bar is struggling in a location next to a sports complex and a concert venue selling over-priced drinks.

that said; DTLATV has great decent food, great drinks and excellent service.

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 06:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-09 20:27, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Bastardo!

People going around saying "fuck Michael Corleone!"

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-12 06:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-11 21:13, christiki295 wrote:
I wish there was a perfect location for a Tiki bar, but history proves that except for the Mai Kai location, most locations prove only temporarily good.

I would add the former Big Bamboo Lounge in Kissimmee, Florida, to a list of successful locations. While not an all-out tiki bar, I personally verified that they did have at least one tiki displayed at eye-level behind the bar. The location thrived -- until the roof was damaged by hurricane winds. Then it became entrapped in conflicts between squabbling family members until dealt a final blow by homeless folks who started a fire for cooking or for warmth and ended up partially burning the place. This former 3-bedroom home was converted to a drinking establishment and remains my most beloved low-key hole-in-the-wall. Both I and my liver miss the 'Boo.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 07:58 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-12-12 03:46, exquisitecorpse wrote:
Quote:

LA has to be the only place in the US where a bar is struggling in a location next to a sports complex and a concert venue selling over-priced drinks.

that said; DTLATV has great decent food, great drinks and excellent service.

Actually, TVLA is now doing well. Both times I've been there, in the Spring & Summer,I had to wait for a seat in the Tiki Room and on one of those occasions, the outside patio also was sold out - before a Kings' game.

At the risk of dredging up the "Should Tiki be smaller and pure or diluted and bigger" debate, I'm ok with modifications to keep the doors open.

I do have one complaint: TVLA has not replaced its "Aloha" Mai Tai glasses, which have been used do much the color has rubbed off.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2013-12-12 08:03 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-12 1:33 pm   Permalink

I think it's a fantastic location. 1000's of people a day walk through that big complex. It may even inspire someone to become involved in the whole culture of tiki as we are. We had to start somewhere whether it was a song we heard, a mug we saw, a friend who told us, or a bar we went to that really piqued our interest.

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 5:19 pm   Permalink

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 7:14 pm   Permalink

Seems to me that the " bone of contention” is the misidentification of the
“ L A clippers” on Ooga Mooga as a Tiki Farm product. i agree with TikiVato-The train is off the track!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-12-12 7:53 pm   Permalink

There appears to be more than one impostor !! I wonder who's behind this?

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-12 19:53, ron-tiki wrote:

I’m not a Clippers fan.
The mug in Holdens’s side by side is not a bad looking mug.
The green one is just awful-The blue not much better.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 8:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-12 19:53, ron-tiki wrote:

The Imposter of the Imposter?

or.... The Imposters laborer who makes below minimum wage?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2013-12-12 8:47 pm   Permalink

We don't want no stinking impostors!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-12 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-12 20:47, ron-tiki wrote:
We don't want no stinking impostors!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLaX8UvVUQw

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation