FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Tikipedia
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Tikipedia
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-20 05:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-19 22:51, Fez Moai wrote:
The FBI detonated the bomb?

According to the article at fbi.gov

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-25 4:00 pm   Permalink

Whelp, aside from some housekeeping and tweaking, we feel like we've got things far enough along to go ahead and get people to start playing with it. I'm sure we'll have changes to make, but we need input from actual users first.

We've added some articles and stubs on all kinds of topics so that people can see how the site is organized well enough to hopefully be able to figure out where (and how!) to create new topics. If something doesn't make sense or you want a new feature, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

With help from the tiki community I think The Tikipedia can play a valuable role that is not currently being filled. Thanks to Nomeus for coming up with the idea!

Please post your comments and thoughts in this thread. We need your input!

Http://www.thetikipedia.com

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTacky 2014-01-25 16:01 ]

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-25 5:53 pm   Permalink

Here here!

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-25 10:27 pm   Permalink

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-25 10:33 pm   Permalink

How am I to interpret this? Are you making a statement that Tiki has devolved and is dead, and our idea is doomed? Is this a contribution? Is it a pickup line?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 07:08 am   Permalink

can we use the graphic on tikipedia?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 10:35 am   Permalink

Yes and no…it is basically correct, but since Kevin & Jody drew it up from my original design…

..which I hand-drew and embellished with cut & paste dingbats for my 1992 Book of Tiki proposal, my research has crystallized the time line to be more specific:

I have always felt that when looking at 20th Century style periods in fashion and design, the typical decade label ("the 20s", "the 50s", etc) does not seem quite accurate. I find styles and fashions to be more alike from 1935 - 1945, or from 1945 - 1955 than from 1940 - 1950.

This concept applies well to Polynesian pop and Tiki, as Don's opened in 1934, WWII ended in 1945, and the real first use of the Tiki as a Polynesian restaurant figurehead did not happen before 1955, and reached its peak around 1965.

So I would amend my chart to that time-line if I could. I have a higher res version of it if you can doctor it that way. Also, if it goes up on the web I would want my "by Sven A. Kirsten" credit under the title in the graphic.

Me posting the chart was just to provide a basic guideline, and to caution you to be more specific, especially in the labeling of what is "Tiki":
The sentence "...Tiki culture originated in Polynesian-themed restaurants in the U.S. such as Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's…" is not all wrong, but could be misleading. A better way to put it would be " The foundations of Tiki culture were laid in such Polynesian-themed.." or "…the roots of Tiki culture lay in…" to make clear that early Don's and Vic's were not Tiki. Don really never was: He or the franchise never used logo Tikis or even Tiki mugs, they stayed true to their beachcomber style.

I am not a stickler for this in the general Tiki world where now EVERYTHING is "Tiki". The spreading of it is partially my fault, but also very much due to the fact that Tiki is such a buzzword: Once used, it sticks, and comes of the tongue very easily. So you won't see me running around at Oasis correcting some Rockabilly chicks, but here, at a site like this, the science should remain correct.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-01-26 12:48 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 10:39 am   Permalink

thank you sven. our generalized definition of tiki was more or less a temporary placeholder until we could tweak it all, which we will be doing for sure. the site is meant to be dynamic and changing and we are always open to the changes.

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-26 10:42 am   Permalink

Thanks very much for your input, and I strongly agree with you. The good news is that anyone has the ability to add or modify the site, and everyone can see the revisions and revise them, revert them, or simply start a discussion about them. I have the homepage locked down (for obvious reasons), but I'd be happy to modify your graphic and post it with credit and copyright. I'll send you a PM with my email address.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 07:17 am   Permalink

One more thing: Currently I am getting all these notices about this really nice page about the ruins of the Coco Palms (nomeus posted it here on TC recently):
http://www.messynessychic.com/2014/01/23/elvis-presleys-abandoned-tiki-paradise/

Of course the big headline is: Elvis Presley’s Abandoned Tiki Paradise

Well, show me a Tiki at the Coco Palms, anywhere. There never were any, not in carved form in the decor, not in the brochures, menus, matchbooks, or anywhere on the large grounds. So WHY would this be called a Tiki Paradise !?

The Coco Palms is truly the perfect proof of my claim that Tiki was a mainland U.S.A. phenomenon: The place just SCREAMS for Tikis, its period and architecture, the large tropical grounds…but for the same reasons Tiki style did not really take off in Hawaii in general, this place remained Tiki-less: Grace Guslander was well aware that part of her Hotel stood on hallowed grounds of the ancient Hawaiian religion and she was sensitive to that. Too close to the source, one could not go as wild as the mainland architects and designers did.

The Coco Palms was a classic, amazing mid-century Polynesian Pop place, and it is now a dream place for the urban archeologist (I bet nomeus would do a great job shooting it), but it is not, and never was, a TIKI paradise.

nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 07:46 am   Permalink

Ah thanks Sven! As soon as I saw it I thought it would be great to see but it's a little far!

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 08:27 am   Permalink

Aloha,

You keep beating that drum, Sven...

Quote:

On 2014-01-27 07:17, bigbrotiki wrote:

Well, show me a Tiki at the Coco Palms, anywhere.

Quote:
Primo Kimo wrote...

These are the only tiki images i could find on the (Coco Palm's) grounds. Not the most snuggly tikis, but I think they count.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 08:56 am   Permalink

interesting design and style

*i found a tiki god at the palms!

[ This Message was edited by: nomeus 2014-01-27 08:58 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:18 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2014-01-27 08:27, Phillip Roberts wrote:

Quote:
Primo Kimo wrote...
These are the only tiki images i could find on the (Coco Palm's) grounds. Not the most snuggly tikis, but I think they count.

No they don't. There is a nice German saying in academia that translates to English as "The Exception proves the Rule". This applies to all sciences. Even in my claim that in mainland Polynesian pop, the Tiki did not appear before around 1955, there are exceptions like the Kalua Room in Seattle:

They used a very cool, cartoony Tiki as the sign, on the menu and on the matchbooks as early as 1953. This just means that they were ahead of their time, and does not negate the fact that the real, wide-spread appearance of Tikis as symbols for Polynesia which constitutes Tiki style happened a couple of years later.

For every finding I publish people will always find exceptions, but if my theories are backed up by 95% historic facts, the 5% that show something different are just that, exceptions. How can anyone in all earnest claim that the Coco Palms, with its time-frame and all its opportunities to use Tikis but NOT doing so, is Tiki Style because of one or two Tiki likenesses found on the grounds.

I am not beating any drum, it is just cold hard research and historic statistics. It has been a widely postulated fact that Don The Beachcomber had to import his Polynesian Pop concepts to Waikiki to give the tourists what they were expecting. So did the others, Trader Vic and Steve Crane. These were all MAINLAND chains.

Exceptions to the rule: The Waikikian, Spencecliff, and Edward Brownlee. But for every Brownlee and every Waikikian, I give you 10 , 20 or more examples of mainland Tiki style. The carvings, the mugs, it all reached a completely new level on the mainland - a level that sufficed to make it into a genre of its own.

All this local pride about Hawaii and the East Coast is silly, the facts are simply that Polynesian Pop AND Tiki were born in California, proliferated here and then spread to the rest of the States. And no, the Mai Tai was not invented in Hawaii, but in San Francisco

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-27 10:53 am   Permalink

Serious question: There seems to be a lot of debate as to whether something is "tiki" or not, yet tiki seems to be a generic term at this point for anything Polynesian themed. What is the distinction between saying something is tiki and saying it's Poly-Pop, aside from the fact that they may have used tiki imagery? It seems like splitting hairs, but maybe I'm missing something.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation